20s Chrysler motor year?

Hi Frank,

I rebuilt a Model 50 and a model 52, both had engine numbers with an "A" suffix on the motor numbers. I also had 2 other 4 cyl Chrysler motors with  "A" suffix's to the motor numbers.  None of these engines had either an I or an F before the number.

When I researched these cars and engines with Chrysler historical archives and the WPC club, I was also told, that all the 4 cyl cars built started with an I or an F prefix to the motor number. They could not explain why these motors were different and they said to me ,that it was possible, that motors built for export (or possibly RHD) may have had an A suffix.

The model 50 tourer had body number FY273E and motor 57039A

The model 52 tourer had body number HR947E and motor 133504A

Your motor number is earlier than the ones I had and probably is a model 58

regards

Viv

1 hour ago, viv w said:

. . .

The model 50 tourer had body number FY273E and motor 57039A

The model 52 tourer had body number HR947E and motor 133504A

. . .

To be a little pedantic, those are FedCo serial numbers for the cars not body numbers. And the FedCo numbers given match up the the Chrysler models you list.

• Like 1

My car is a model 58 coupe.. as for the motor number I first thought that the first part of the number started with a letter L,  but later looking closer it looked more like a number 1..  I'll look again and see if I could possibly see a letter I....  I'm just trying to establish if it's an early model engine or a later one.  Also I've asked what is the correct carburetor that was used on this engine.. It has a stromberg OE-1 Studebaker carb.  Which I understand that the OE-1 carb is used on the small six cylinder Chrysler of 1927...  

I thank everyone that is helping me to understand this little car...

• 2 years later...
On 4/1/2018 at 6:59 AM, Sasha39 said:

The model 58 had a model code of "F" which used 3 different carburettors Stewart model 30 a Zenith and a third one but no name.

Would be interested to know the name of this publication and if it is still available?  thanks in advance.  I've got a 1928 model 52, just trying to gather info and learn as much as I can.  Car is running but has some strange adaptations and modifications over the years that I would like to correct.

Hi my48ruby, if you look at my post you will see 2 photos one with the information about the carburettors used and the 2nd photo has the book name, Chrysler Master Parts list, there one on eBay at th moment just make sure your sitting down when you open the link, 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/I.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Chrysler+Master+Parts+list&sacat=O&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=1929

you're looking for volume 2 covering years 1924-1933.

Edited by Sasha39
Spelling change (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, rjp said:

Not a good picture, I was wrong would  you go for HY306C i. That might be a better number

That makes more sense:

Serial Number HY-306-C
Found in range HW-000-P to HL-685-L
Serial 53062 of 76857
Year 1927-28
Make Chrysler
Model Name 52
Model Code I
Plant Detroit
Engine 4 cylinder 170.3 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase 106 inches
FedCo Number HY-306-C