1956 Ford Thunderbird

I have a 1956 Fiesta red Ford Thunderbird that I want to do a frame on restoration. I plan to start about mid May of this year. I will start by removing the engine and transmission. This will open up the engine bay as I want to paint back to new again. There is a dustless blaster company about 20 mile from me that I plan to have them remove the paint from the body, hood & trunk. They charge $700 for the 2 hour or less process. This will save a lot of time and they have plenty of experience so as not to warp the metal. I plan to have the car on a lift while cleaning the underneath. There have been several small oil leaks that have covered the complete underneath and overall, the underneath looks good. It just needs cleaned and painted. I will remove the exhaust and gas tank so I have better view of the frame for cleaning. I will spray the frame with KBS Klean, then OSPHO to etch the frame, then apply KBS primer, then KBS paint. The motor and transmission will be painted while it is out. There are 28,000 miles on the car and I plan to have a compression check done to see if an overhaul is in order. The car runs and shifts well. I will keep the body with Fiesta red when painted. Although the seats are in good condition I would like to reupholster the interior with leather although I know this was not OEM. I will make a decision on this later. Any thoughts from you will be appreciated. A picture is posted for you to see the car. My email address is phillips.larryc@gmail.com. This is just in case you have comments that you do not want posted on the forum. I live in Georgia and my first name is Larry.

image.png.3495ae26a0becb64e2031c348ccaa6c2.png

• Like 1

Larry,

Let me be the first to say WELCOME! :)

That sure is one nice looking car. I have had a love of these two seaters for a long time but having become deep in a varied collection well, having one car is to your advantage!

Post lots of pictures. 

What is the story how you came to own her?

Doug 

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Great looking car.  I had a 57 About 6 years ago.  I had owned it for 10.  I  bought it from a guy that said it needed a full restoration and was running on 7 cylinders.  It had a ton of orange peel in the paint along with runs and sags and the bumpers were kind of crappy along with ancient tires and rusty wheels.  I polished and cleaned it to death.   Put new tires and aftermarket wheels to replace the rusted aftermarket wires, then gave it a full tune up and fixed the horribly adjusted throttle linkage.  I eventually replaced there carb as well and bumpers.  Wet sanded and buffed the paint.  It was pretty darn respectable when done,  I only had about another 3G in and drove it all over.  Drove it to Lowes,  a few 3 hours trips up into the mountains.  It was a great car.  Very reliable.  I was just ready for something different.  I would still like to get a 55 stick with OD.  

Almost looks too good to restore.   Have you driven it yet?  My only complaint is you get whipped around pretty good with the top off,  especially at 70 MPH on the Interstate. Some people say they are a bit cramped for bigger guys but seem to have more room inside than my 60 Corvette that I eventually replaced it with. 

IMG_6000.JPG

Doug:

I found the T-Bird on the internet and began a very long conversation with the owner. A fine man from Port Colborne, Ontario. I guess it is easy to get fooled by someone who is trying to sell something but this man seemed to be honest. He answered every question I asked and he was right on target with his answers. I bought it sight unseen for a very reasonable price. I confirmed my purchase with the owner on August 10, 2018. My biggest regret was that my wife died of a widow maker heart attack on August 14 of 2017. Her funeral was held on Saturday the 19th and the T-Bird was delivered on August 20. I wish she could have seen it but it was not to be.

Some minor body work will be done and the car will be completely repainted the original color, Fiesta red. This color was originally made by DuPont for the 1956 year Cadillac. When they painted their first car they said we do not like the color and refused to take order of any more Fiesta red. The fender guitar company liked the color and painted most of their guitars with Fiesta red for some time. Then DuPont offered Ford motor company the color and they painted the Thunderbird Fiesta red. I don't know how many they painted this color but I liked it the first time I saw the one I purchased. The 1955 T-Birds were Torch red, the 1956 was Fiesta red, and the 1957 were painted Flame red. I am only addressing the red ones.

I will re-chrome some of the smaller chrome pieces. The bumpers are in good shape. The seats are in excellent shape but as I stated in my previous posting I would like to do leather but no decision has been made yet. The dash cover and the head liner both needs replacing. I am replacing shocks and fuel tank. I have a small amount of play in the steering and I will have that checked out during the restoration. Brakes are fine but at some point I would like to upgrade to disc brakes. I suspect it will take me about 18 months or so to get everything done I would like to see done. I will be happy to supply pictures through out the restoration. Although being able to address the cleaning and painting of the underneath while on an outside lift I wish I could do it on a rotisserie. This would be the very best but no one in this area has one unless I want to go to Atlanta and pay a huge amount to have it cleaned on one. I do not plan to do this. I will clean it on the outside lift.

Will talk to you and others as we move forward with this frame on restoration.

Larry

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the story about your wife, heartbreaking.

'56 is my favorite year, I've owned a dozen or so early Birds over the years.  I always thought someone should offer a leather interior kit, would be very nice to have leather.

Looks like  a good car, they're fun, although they aren't "sports cars" even though they sort of competed in that arena.  A little sloppy to drive, the suspension wasn't the best on them, but the brakes should be fine for normal driving without having to go to disk.

Have fun with it!

You will want to be sure to only run good fresh gas in it. I had a boat I was rebuilding for the owner and the tank needed to come out.  The gas smelled decent so. Put it in the bird like I had other older cars to burn it up with a little fresh.   Huge mistake.  I bent I think 3 push rods before it was all over and I had only good gas in it again.  The gas looked fine as well.  I got good at replacing push rods though before I was done.   Gave me a good reason to pull and polish the valve covers as well. 

AuburnSeeker:

We have a couple of gas stations that sell ethanol free gas so I go to the one closest to me for refueling. I drive the T-Bird somewhat often but have never had the top off yet. I will reserve that to another time. Sorry you had some bad luck with gas but you learned a valuable lesson and got some mechanical experience. We learn from our mistakes and I have had my share over the years as many have. Thanks for your posting, keep them coming.

Larry

Trimacar:

I agree on the conversion to disc brakes. It is expensive, I think I saw where a conversion kit is about $1,275.00, and if you can't do the conversion yourself just add the expense of labor. Now closer to $1,500.00 or more total. As far as someone offering a leather interior, there is a company in California that does. It is called "Larry's Thunderbirds & Mustangs". You can find them on the internet. They ask you to purchase the whole interior kit so they can match the colors completely which makes good sense. I had them quote me and I think it was going to be about $2,800.00 but this included everything including the trunk mat. Add a couple of thousand if you have to hire someone to install the kit. I think I can do everything except the dash and headliner. They give good service, a little pricy on leather but not bad. I have purchased some things from a supplier much closer to me but my last order did not go too well. I will most likely go back to Larry's in California. The  closer supplier to me is why I ordered from them. They are just over a hundred mile from me while Larry"s is about 3,000 mile. The closer supplier to me offers free freight on orders of $300.00 or more while Larry's does not offer any free freight. Thanks for your posting, keep them coming.

Larry

Edited by 1956 Ford Thunderbird (see edit history)

Hi Larry,

You have a very nice car and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out from it. I'm am sorry your wife isn't with you to enjoy it.

There are other T-Bird parts suppliers that are quite good including Prestige Thunderbird and Concours Auto Parts (they also have the leather interior so you may want to check with them for a price). Since the leather is configured the same way as the original vinyl that shouldn't be a problem and will be more comfortable.

What is your source for the information on Fiesta Red paint? The reason I ask is that the color is not unique to the T-Bird. It was used on full size Fords also. I also believe that Ford used Ditzler, not Dupont as their paint supplier.

Anyhow, I hope your restoration goes very well.

Regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 Colonial White

Lew, I found the story of the Fiesta red on the internet. It may have been used on other Ford cars but I have not seen any. Please let me know if you have. It is possible that DuPont was not the supplier. I will try to find the link for the story I quoted and get it to you. Glad you have other information and maybe we can get to the real story. We all know that once information is passed on that it varies as the wind blows. As far as the leather, I appreciate your help with a second supplier and I will check for price. The 1956 OEM vinyl has an embossment in the center of the backrest while the leather does not offer this unless your second supplier does. I am anxious to see. Thanks for your research, talk to you soon.

Larry 

• Like 1

Hi Larry,

Please look at this link from the strat-talk forum: 

www.strat-talk.com/threads/what-is-the-correct-fiesta-red.160960/#post-903823

This link shows the Ditzler chart for Ford colors for 1956. It lists Fiesta Red with an asterisk and if you look at the legend at the bottom of the page you will notice that an asterisk indicates the color is also available on the Thunderbird for that year. You will also notice that three of the colors (Navajo Gray, Sage (Thunderbird) Green, and Thunderbird Gray) were for the Thunderbird only. Fiesta Red was definitely a color used on the 1956 Ford, either on the whole car or in two-tone combinations such as Raven Black and Fiesta Red or Colonial White and Fiesta Red.

I seriously doubt the story about the 1956 Cadillac, it sounds like an urban legend to me. 1956 T-Bird production began on 10/17/1955 and that would be pretty late in the game to be making decisions on colors, especially for the main car production.

When was the first fender produced?

LEW

Lew,

Well spoken. Although I have not seen any Fiesta red on other than T-Birds, no doubt there are some out there. And you are most likely right about the 1956 Cadillac. It always amazes me how stories get started and how difficult it is sometime to find the truth. As generations pass it becomes more and more difficult to get to the truth. I have a question you may know the answer. I have searched to find out how many 56 T-Birds were painted Fiesta red but have had no luck. Is there a source out there somewhere I could find out? 

Thanks for your input, will always be appreciated.

Larry

Larry,

Fordrodsteven is correct. CTCI member Dave Tulowitzky maintains a T-Bird registry of known cars and through that he has calculated the percentages for each color. The other part is that there were also two-tone 1956 T-Birds that had a Colonial White body and a Fiesta Red top. Anyway, Fiesta Red was not a rare color for a 1956 T-Bird.

Regards,

Lew

Thanks for the information about how many 56 T-Birds were painted Fiesta red. Since my last comment to Lew I have seen a 56 Ford Fairlane painted Fiesta red. I never thought F/R was a rare color as I have seen several T-Birds painted using this color. I like the torch red on the 55's but I am too old for that bright a color and it messes up the VIN tag by not being the OEM color. I look forward to all of your comments as we move forward. 

The Augusta National golf week is in full swing now. I live about 10 mile from the course. Heavy rain at 5:50 this morning but now a beautiful day. People who paid big dollars to attend are grateful the rain stopped. Talk to you soon. 

Fordrodsteven, and confirmed by Lew. Thank you so much for this good information and the web address. I have been trying to find out this information for months and was never able to get it. Two heads are always better than one. Thank You. I now have all 3 years and color by percentage in an Excel spread sheet. I am forever grateful and in your debt. 

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Frank, thanks for your message. I have reviewed the Accessible Systems and yes it looks to be a good system. You mentioned that the system is pricey, so is Merrick, maybe moreso. I would like to do a frame on restoration but I am concerned about the condition of the top of the frame fastened to the body. No way to tell the condition that I know of as to rust, etc. Frame off will tell all. Thanks again for your comment. I will let you know later which way I will go. 

Hi Larry,

If you don't mind my asking, what is your goal in restoring this car? The reason I ask is it looks like a pretty nice car as it sits. If your goal is to create a show car then it makes some sense to do a body off frame restoration. Of course by the time you are finished you will have spent more than you will ever get out of it if you sell it. If everything is rusted out underneath then doing the body off is the way to go. On the other hand, you would be money ahead buying a better car and enjoying it now. I think about these things since I am now over age 65 and I would rather enjoy my car more instead of having it laid up being restored. Trimacar will tell you that he considers these cars commodities since so many of them have survived and it is not hard to get a good car at a reasonable price. The high dollar cars are the 57 E and F code cars. 

Anyway there is no wrong answer here, either way you will have a nice car. Enjoy it.

Regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 Colonial White T-Bird

• Like 1

Lew, I don't mind at all. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (bone cancer) in October of 2016. My wife died in August of last year and now I need something to do while I fight this disease. Although from a 100 feet away the car looks very nice while a close up look will reveal something entirely different. I won't go into detail as it most likely would be boring to all who read it. A magnet has pretty much verified that the car is solid with no major issues with the body. It runs well and a view of the underneath shows no major problem with rust. The interior is in good shape with only the dash cover and headliner needing replaced. I have looked for a fully restored Fiesta Red Bird with a 312, automatic, power seat, power steering, and power windows with no success so I decided to restore this one. I have 2 sons who are deeply interested in this car. I most likely could have found another color T-Bird with these same features but I did not pursue finding one with professionals in the industry. I am approaching this restoration with great enthusiasm as are both sons. I will keep everyone updated as to our progress along the way. Thanks to all for your comments. They are very much appreciated.

Larry Phillips

Evans, GA

To all on this thread: Does anyone know where I can locate a low profile engine cradle with casters that will hold my 312 engine for the duration of my restoration. The closest I have come is on the Summit Racing web site. I spoke to a sales person who recommended one but would require modification and I'd rather not do that if I can locate another source where modification is not required. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry Phillips

Evans, GA 

Just search on Ebay.  There appear to be lots of small manufacturers and many of them are priced similarly at less than $100 complete with casters. I bought two a few years ago from a maker in Missouri but I cannot recall his name, for my AMC V8 engines.  Or google engine cradles and search on images for one that looks good to you.  Joe

I am good now with an engine stand but some bad news came my way. I received a call from the body man who was to start on my T-Bird this month and he is unable to help me. He is having health issues and I told him that his health is much more important than my T-Bird. I have found another man in the business and will pay him a visit one day this week. Will let you know how the visit goes. I will request references to verify his skill set.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

The body man I contracted called me about 3 weeks ago and said he would not be able to help with the restoration as he now has some health issues. I have found another highly recommended body man so the restoration will start next Monday, May 28. We will start by pulling the engine and transmission. Will pull the fuel tank and exhaust system to allow complete entry into the underneath of the car. The engine will get checked for possible overhaul. Both the engine and transmission will get painted. The underneath will be cleaned and a rust inhibitor applied followed by primer and paint. Car will then be media blasted, body checked for potential rust repair then appropriate body work followed by paint. I will post pictures for you to see.

Larry

• Like 2

I was nine years old in 1956, when I fell in love with a 1956 Thunderbird that was being given away by a local grocery store.  I talked my parents into shopping there, so that I could get tickets in the hope of winning the car.  Of course, I did not win, but that was the genesis of my desire to own a '56 TBird.

Fifty-six years later, I realized my dream of owning a '56 Thunderbird.  An extensive internet search resulted in finding a nice Fiesta Red car that had the same owner for 20 years. His 20 year record of service came with the car.   It was complete and rust free, but needed some TLC.  Like you, I decided to do a ground up restoration.  I took it to a local shop here in Georgia, where the restoration was completed.

I look forward to seeing how your car turns out.  I know it will be beautiful.

DSCN1527.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

DSCN1534.JPG

Edited by eboose7
I made some typographical errors. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

EBoose7, What a beautiful car you have, congratulations. I have a black top also but I keep my hardtop on at all times. I am looking forward to the restoration and I can only hope that mine turns  out as good as yours. Wow what a beautiful car. Will keep all of you posted throughout the process.

Regards to all,

Larry Phillips

EBoose7, Was your T-Bird painted with a one stage paint or did you apply a base coat followed by clear? Do you mind telling me the brand of paint you used. Everyone has an opinion but the proof is in the looks and I wondered which yours was. I also think your interior looks fantastic. Do you mind telling me what supplier you purchased your parts from? I know we are not supposed to identify names on this thread so here is my personal email address. Phillips.larryc@gmail.com

I will be appreciative of any information you can give me and it will be kept confidential. Thanks for your help. We both have a lot in common with our cars.

Larry Phillips

Evans, GA 30809

• 4 weeks later...

Here we are near the end of June and I am now just getting started with my restoration. The motor and transmission are out, engine bay empty, and both bumpers off along with some outside chrome pieces.. I had the underneath pressure washed and as earlier thought the frame is in great shape with no rust. The car is now in Clearwater, SC with the body man. The second picture (the first being my first posting) is attached. It is hot here so going forward will most likely be slow. 

2076755682_IMG_0771(1).JPG.81f1502ddb7ba9256202283ea4555a6b.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

For a good rotisserie try Greg Smith equipment. I’ve been using mine for years with no issues, both for bodies and chassis. When you’re done you can sell it used for close to what you paid for it new. For an engine dolly, my best ones have been made with large wood framed furniture dollies with 2x6 framework to support the motor along the oil pan. Super stable and easy to move around. When you’re done with the motor, unscrew the 2x6 frame and use it for something else.

• 3 months later...

It is now October 11, 2018 and I am just now feeling good enough to give you an update on my restoration. Only the engine bay has been painted so the engine and transmission can be installed so the body man can move the car at will since he has other commitments for some smaller jobs to which I totally understand. He works out of a shop behind his house. He retired with 40 years of service in a paint and body shop here in Evans, GA. So when the mechanic took the heads off the engine he knew the engine had been recently overhauled and nothing further had to be done. Most likely overhauled by the owner previous to the one I purchased it from. The previous owner told me that the man who he purchased it from was grumpy and did not supply much information to him. 

I thought I had someone lined up during my illness to take before and after pictures. Good luck with that one. I have some finish pictures that I will share of the painted motor and transmission (T-Bird red). Several new parts were purchased such as starter, master cylinder, blower motor, fuel tank, stainless exhaust, and other parts too numerous to mention. The underneath had only minor surface rust which we thoroughly cleaned and sprayed a rust inhibitor then sprayed a 3-M product on the frame. The underneath is a showcase. It looks great. 

The car is now running. It sat at the mechanic's shop for 5 weeks before he installed the parts I mentioned above. He had the car for a total of 7 weeks. The car is now at the body shop. During the time at the mechanic shop I lost my place at the body shop so I am waiting for him to complete the body work and paint. I purchased a new vinyl upholstery kit. The reason for vinyl was I wanted the embossment on the back rest which I could not get with leather which I preferred, even though not OEM. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if

1792544003_Motor-PaintedReadyForInstall-9-21-2018.JPG.bae65e17a94b2027ae5c69f67865be4e.JPGnot please let me know. You will not offend me.IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.44bd0083d0f3b6490282cbcc532aaf52.JPG

Engine Bay Painted & Ready For Install.JPG

Transmission - Painted - 9-21-2018.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I have not had an update since October 11, 2018. Why? I lost my place with the body shop due to the mechanic taking an extra 5 weeks before removing the engine, engine bay parts, and the transmission. The car sat for 5 months at the body shop before work commenced again. About 98% of the body work is complete with primer on most of the car. The windshield was removed and I sanded all of the scratches out but I am not pleased with the results. There is one spot, right in the middle that I had to go what appears to be too deep. I can see the spot where I sanded and I don't like it. Most likely I will have a new one installed. Both doors are in the glass shop having the inside parts installed after having them out so the inside could be painted. I am about a week away from having them back to the body shop. 

The car has been totally rewired, bumper to bumper. A picture of the old wiring is shown below. The electrician did a good job. I paid $900.00 for his service. I was well pleased with the wiring kit I purchased. The instructions were outstanding. A first year electrician most likely could have followed the directions, they were so clear.

When the seat was removed, the seat frame was fairly rusty. The body shop media blasted it and was then primed and painted black. Unable to upload a picture due to message that doing so would exceed web site maximum MB. I would hope I can do it another time. 

Waiting on chrome shop to call for the bumpers. It has now been 7 months and the lady told me today that I am now 5th in line and it may be another couple of months before they call. She said their orders have been large and taking longer than expected. My bumpers have some flaking but no repair is required. 

I have contracted an upholstery shop to do the interior. I purchased a vinyl set due to the OEM embossment on the back rest. With the seat frame out and painted, the seat cover will be the first to be installed in the interior. 

Hope to have you an update soon as we near the end.

IMG_1123 (2).JPG

IMG_0916 (3).JPG

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I just signed on to this site and I'm wondering where you are on this project now. I've done a body off restoration and may be able to help with some info problems you may run into. I've had T-Birds all my life and this is one of them. Good Luck with your project.

DSC03825.JPG

• Like 2