Uber Tempe Crash Timeline??

Bud Tierney

1 hour ago, DAVE A said:

Grimy, Alsancle was quoting a world-wide statistic by the WHO

So in 2010, the USA contributed only 90 daily deaths of 3,287 worldwide (2.7%) despite our 264,000,000 vehicles?  That's actually pretty good.  I recall some thrilling taxi rides in Mexico City, Seoul, Taipei, and Delhi, none of which will probably be Early Adopters of autonomous vehicles.  I'd also like to see stats of deaths per mile traveled, which will likely show we have a fairly low rate due to the interstate system and the size of the country.  Choose the right stats to make any point you want.

12 hours ago, Grimy said:

AJ, where did you get those stats?

Sorry about that. 

I did a few bad things there.  1. I didn't reference the source.  2.  I didn't completely read the source material.  3.  I misquoted the source.

It messed up my point too.   My dad couldn't comprehend that a computer could do a better job driving than a human and unfortunately it will.   The automated cars are one thing,  but think of the overall trend.  What is 95% of the population going to do all day to occupy their time in a productive fashion when everything is automated?

• Thanks 1

Computers can't fix stupid.

How many times have you seen people walk out in front of a 3500 lb vehicle saying, "they won't hit me."

The lady with the bike screwed up.... in my opinion. She was pushing the bike across the street in front of a computer.

Sorry it happened.

My 2 cents.

Bill H

When I taught my kids to drive I asked each one if they knew what the right of way meant. Each bobbed their head and answered "Yes". I replied "I am revoking yours right now." If you see a dangerous situation don't be the cause of an accident. A programmer cannot put that human variable into the program. Many times I have asked people for a list of all the things they didn't know, just to make a point.

Don Rumsfeld said it best:

Rumsfeld stated: Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. 

THAT is the programming challenge. If that Uber car had data that the speed limit was 40 MPH or whatever, you can bet it was doing that speed. I live in a village with a college and the Main Street speed limit is 30 MPH. The village elder thought poor lighting gave it a quaint look and even young people have trouble seeing at night. People in dark clothes are darting about all the time. Being  mostly human I anticipate trouble based on data fabricated within my mind and outside the realm of my senses. Many times I am at 15 or 20 mph with my foot hovering over the brake, the way I crest a hill. My Uber ride would be right at 30 all the way.

My personal experience with any type of project is the disparity between understanding the importance concept and details, both, play in the end goal. I have seen management leaders fall asleep at conference tables during discussion of key details, overlooked and handled as a crisis when they appear. I'd bet some chins are on chest and eyes closed at autonomous car meetings today. Ten people at a table and the boss says "Whenever you two talk you put me to sleep." There is your deepest deterrent to progress.

Autonomous cars ARE important to the hobbyist. NO PROGRAM HAS PREDICTED AN INCOMPATIBILITY BETWEEN SELF-DRIVEN AND AUTONOMOUS CARS. People may have.

"Warning, Will Robinson, self-driven car alert."

Bernie

• Like 1

The two things that autonomous vehicles need to over come are, ethics and liability.

Ethics- to make the right decision in the case of an unavoidable accident.

Liability - who will be liable for the accidents. the owner or the manufacturer/designer of the vehicle

In the uber accident the vehicles system probably did not recognized the movements/shapes of the lady with the bike.

• Like 1