Car Classification

zulaytr

I plan on beginning to show a 1994 car early next year that was a limited production model. I am thinking it will be classified in class 35B  but I do not know if it needs any reviews and concurrence by the classification committee before hand. I have all the documentation that the judges may need to easily see the differences between a regular production model and my limited production car. It is one of only 104 built. Any feed back would be appreciated. 

Bob

You have to apply for placement in that class. Check out the text from page 4-15 of the judging guidelines:

35 DESIGNATED LIMITED PRODUCTION, PROTOTYPE & EXPERIMENTAL VEHICLES Classic, Prestige, or Limited Production, Prototype, and Experimental vehicles, that were factory built, may be accepted in these categories by individual model upon written application with adequate documentation submitted to the Specified Class Committee (SCC) via National Headquarters or the VP Judging, to be evaluated, accepted or denied. The Chairman of the SCC will forward the SCC committees' decision to the VP of Class Judging. Competition models (race cars) of specified Classic, Prestige or Limited Production, Prototype and Experimental vehicles shall be entered in the proper competition class.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd sorta guess you'd do better in the production category. Most of the late model cars that show up are nice, but they are really just nice used cars. I'm glad to see them, and glad folks care about them and want to be involved, but they haven't been cared for like some of the older vehicles or restorations, so there is more room to be at the top compared to an expensive and niche group like 35. Keep in mind, when we judge condition, we judge against what it should be new, not how great it looks for being 25 years old.

Also, the 2018 guidelines show on page 4-16 that 35B is only up to 1988.

"Vehicles which do not meet or exceed all three requirements of 4 cylinders, 75hp and a wheelbase of 100" will be placed in this class thru 1988."

So your car can't be 35B based on the year, and if it doesn't have the requirements of 35a with 4 cyl, 75hp, and wb of at least 100 then you would have to go production until a different class opens up I'd think.

Am I reading this all right? I never looked at the 35 class.

It goes back to what MCHinson said.  You will need to apply for your car to be accepted in this class.  Supply all the documentation you have to prove that you should be in this class.  I would not be that concerned with the 1988 rule as the manual may not have been updated in that area for a number of years.  I think it should be through the most recent accepted year, but that is a decision of the committee.  

Since your acceptance into this class is dependent on a committee approving it, don't delay in submitting the documentation.  The committee may only meet a few times a year, so you need to get it there in time so that a decision is made well before the beginning of the 2019 show season.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Actually you have no choice as to which class it will shown in. It will meet the definition of one class and one class only. Limited Production means nothing if say it is a common make with a rare combination of features. What is the car you intend to register?

• Like 1

Exactly as Restorer32 said - limitied production doesn't mean a combination of options for a commonly produced car.  I have a Corvette that is extremely rare as far as combination of options and color but it still a regularly produced car.  off the top of my head I can't think of any limited production cars in 1994 except maybe the Renault Clio Williams

Bob

• 6 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, MCHinson said:

You have to apply for placement in that class. Check out the text from page 4-15 of the judging guidelines:

35 DESIGNATED LIMITED PRODUCTION, PROTOTYPE & EXPERIMENTAL VEHICLES Classic, Prestige, or Limited Production, Prototype, and Experimental vehicles, that were factory built, may be accepted in these categories by individual model upon written application with adequate documentation submitted to the Specified Class Committee (SCC) via National Headquarters or the VP Judging, to be evaluated, accepted or denied. The Chairman of the SCC will forward the SCC committees' decision to the VP of Class Judging. Competition models (race cars) of specified Classic, Prestige or Limited Production, Prototype and Experimental vehicles shall be entered in the proper competition class.

Thanks to MC and all for your input on this question. I am updating this post so if in the future someone else has a question about this process hopefully it will assist them.

After the initial forum posts, I was able to meet with the Chairman of the SCC committee at a National Meet. I got to ask him about the process and he provided some very helpful information about the documentation that would be required and to ask me some information about my request. This short meeting was invaluable. One of his recommendations was to contact the National office and obtain the packet of information and the general timeline for the review process. Please note the packet states to allow at least 12 weeks for the committee to review a request before it is sent to the VP of Judging for final review and disposition. So if you are planning to show your vehicle in an upcoming National Meet, allow yourself plenty of time. Once the SCC committee finished their review the information is then sent to the VP of Judging for his final review and decision. The VP then sends you a letter regarding the final decision. I have found the SCC committee, the National office and the VP of Judging all to be extremely helpful in this process.

Again thanks to all for the help.

Regards,

Bob

PS my vehicle has been accepted into class 35B

It is a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo SMZ. The SMZ was a limited production ZX that was offered for the 1995 model year. Only 104 were built. The SMZ was produced in conjunction with Steve Millen. Mine is one of three 1994 prototypes that Nissan made for the initial design and production. It remained in Nissan’s inventory until I bought it directly from them. One of the key documents that was requested was the original MSO that was issued to me at the time of sale. My car, while in Nissan’s corporate vehicle inventory, was used for all of the launch media for the SMZ. It is the car used for the launch article in he June 1995 Car and Driver article.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a 1981 Honda Accord SE special edition, standard shift that I’m considering restoring .  According to Honda, the grey SE was the last produced accord in Japan.  In 82 they began all accord production in Marysville Ohio. The difference is immediately seen with the rectangular lights and body style.  Anyway, according the Honda, 1000 SEs were produced for marking the 10th year of Honda’s entry stateside and to commemorate stateside production.  The Special Edition had many firsts such as power windows, leather seats and other highlights.

i have scoured the internet with little luck finding anyone who still owns one or seen one on sale.  I sent an email to Honda in 11 asking the same and if they had heard of anyone still owning one. They didn’t.  But They did verify  my vin # as being on probably the last shipment from Japan.

My question, is this car truly unique?  What might be its value if brought back to its original condition.? 

It has 136000 and  some minor rust but did drive well up until 95 when I garage parked it and  haven’t started it since 1996. Since then, the tires are flat, the clutch pedal doesn’t work, battery dead, etc.

Thanks to anyone with any info.

I suggest you post this in the general discussion area.  For judging purposes it would be in the Production Vehicles in class 27n. You could also consider HPO or the DPC classification.  Good luck on your car.  We don't discuss values in the Judging section of the forum.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)