1932 96s, marvel swap

Steves Buick

Hi Guys,  restoring the 32 Buick,country club coupe to the point of getting it started,  looking for wisdom here!! Refering to previous post..Do I even rebuild the Marvel  or flip the intake manifold over and install a newer carb like a rochester, stromberg etc. I prefer originality but I want to drive it alot and not catch fire!! All imputs appreciated..

Steve

If you plan to show the car in AACA or BCA you will want the Marvel so you don't lose points in judging.  I would personally stay with the Marvel.  When properly cared for they work fine.  It won't catch fire from the carb if you use a synthetic float and set it up properly.  By the way, there should be a tube from the air cleaner that goes below the exhaust pipe.  This is there to ensure that any  stuck float or needle valve situation allows any overflow to be directed to the ground and not any hot engine parts.   If you plan to run an electric fuel pump, you will need to pay particular attention to the pressure.  Excess pressure will over cause problems.

I would encourage you to go back on the site and search for Sandy Jones and his learning experience with  the Marvel on his 1933 90 series cars.  Theyu have virtually the same Marvel as your 1932  96.

In my opinion, any carburetor not set up and properly maintained has the potential  to cause a fire.  Fuel leaking from a rochester in a turned up manifold  will catch fire as quickly as the Marvel.

By the way, the more you drive it the better it will work.

Bob Engle

• Thanks 2

Thanks Bob,  I have enjoyed your previous post. I do have a rebuild kit with a synthetic float and the tube from my aircleaner is in place. I thought  I could use an electric pump 2-3psi for start up prime then shut it off, was a little worried about pushing the fuel through the mechanical fuel pump in the event of a diaphram leak allowing fuel into the crankcase.  Any recommendations on a carb shop that can give a proper Marvel rebuild.?

I will check out Sandy's post, and true any carb can catche fire.  Thanks for your post.

Steve 

• 3 weeks later...

Rest in Peace, Sandy (4/12/46 - 2/18/18).  You not only helped myself and others out, you became a good friend for many years!  You will be sorely missed, but your spirit will live on through the Forum. 

Jay Kingston

El Dorado Hills, CA

• Like 1