HPOF Class

Bob Hill

Does anyone besides me think the HPOF Class cutoff should be more than the current 25 years or older?  It isn't that difficult to keep a 25 year old car original and in decent shape.  I think at one time the cut off was 35 years old or older.  Maybe they should reconsider the move to 25 years and change the year?   

PS - I have a HPOF car that is only 33 years old so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite but I still think it is too new at that age. IMHO.

Bob

Bob,

I had an AACA Original car that was between 25 and 30 years old. I recently sold it to another AACA member who bought it to use it for touring.

When the cut off was 35 years, I had a car that was less than 35 years old at the time that did eventually become an AACA Original car. Before it was eligible, it was still a great collector car, but I could not take it to an AACA Meet.  I think that the current rule will help keep some of those great condition original cars all original. I think it also serves as a great potential relatively inexpensive source for cars for young people to use to get started in the hobby.  I like the change. I think it was an improvement. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I think it's good to have HPOF be at 25 years. Frankly too many cars from the 1990s, 1980s and 1970s are being point judged that really are better in HPOF. It takes an unnecessary long amount of time to point judge a car that simply hasn't had a hard 25-40 year life, but hasn't been through an actual restoration either. There are some survivor exceptions that do great on points. I have no problem with a car starting the preservation and being awarded for it at 25 years of age. Further, what harm does it cause to the mission of the club?

HPOF started off allowing only car 45 years old or older.  This was changed to 35 years and then to the current 25 years.  We want to start preserving cars as early as possible and that was the reason for the change.  I think it was the right choice.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...