Sign in to follow this  
scott12180

Peeling Lacquer Paint

Is there a way to repair or patch up small sections of older lacquer paint which have begun to flake off?  I have a small section of nickel and dime sized spots where the paint has flaked off. 

Lacquer is easy to fix because you can sand and polish it. If you can get matching paint you can touch up with a brush, building up coats until it is higher than the surrounding paint then sand a polish for a perfect repair.

The only hang up is if it's a metallic paint.  You may get some weird spotting or blemishes,  though they will still look better than missing paint. 

That doesn't matter. If the OP cared about fine details like that he would have told us the year make and model of car and what kind of paint.

I painted two cars with PPG  acrylic lacquer black    has held up well       they still sell it       last check  $ 200 a gallon    

plymouth show.jpg

$200 a gallon? And I suppose red is twice that price. I stopped using lacquer in the 1990s when they took the lead out of it...

I painted two 30s cars with it                easy to fix mistakes        learned to paint using it    I would rather do it myself than put thousands in a PROFESSIONAL PAINT JOB