Rains on my engine

Wheelmang

I have temporarily had to park my 26 DB outside while completing work on another vehicle. Every time it rains the area around the spark plug bases fill up with water. I presume this is coming in from the hood hinge. Was there any kind of sealing that was original that prevented this or is it just something I need to live with whenever it is forced to have the hardship of the real outdoor life?

Thank

Paul

Thanks keiser31:

Those do not look like they are tall enough or big enough around to stop the problem though. It did however give me idea that involves some heater hose. Would look a little ugly but not as bad as the streaks going down the side of my freshly painted engine. 

This is a problem that has been with us for as long as cars have been around and it still persists with the Toyota Prius to this day!

If you grease the hood hinge it will greatly reduce the ingress of rainwater... and not do the hinge any harm either.

Ray.

If you opened one side of the hood fully, you could glue the edges of a piece of 3" wide thin rubber along each side of the hinge.  When the hood is closed the rubber makes a channel that will run the water back and down the firewall.

Personally, I think a little water never hurt anyone. The engine is designed to get a little wet. After all many people did not have a garage to store them in and drove in all weather to get to work. In fact there are many advertisements about the “dependabilty” of Dodge Brothers.  The spark plug wells often get filled with water.  As long as the hood is closed the engine will be fine in a hurricane/ automated car wash. Especially since the engine is freshly painted. 

Good luck

Matthew 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)