Decode Flathead 6 Serial Numbers

KSC

I need help in decoding the serial numbers on the block and head of my Philift Forklift. I have attached some pictures of the numbers. On the block it shows A2 then 18.52 just below the A2.... which is on the drivers side block. Farther down on the block  just below the starterare the numbers 1326229   31.   On the head there are two sets of numbers 7-18 toward the front and either 1616823-17 or its [6] 6823-[7.... I cant tell if those are numerical 1's or a divider between numbers...... help if you can.

Philift Engine Part Numbers.docx

Engines are identified by serial number. The serial number is stamped on a raised pad on the left side of the engine block, near the front of the block, just below the head. In your last photo the pad is visible behind the blue oil filler cap.

On an industrial engine there may also be a round tag riveted on the right side of the engine, down near the pan rail in the middle of the block. It will have info like the bore stroke displacement and model number.

Last resort, measure the length of the head. Should be 23 1/4 or 25" depending if it is the smaller or larger engine block. This is critical in ordering parts. The distributor has a model number on it that is useful when ordering ignition points rotor and cap.

• Like 1

The raised numbers you gave us are casting numbers. They are no use to us. Tell us what the serial number is. There are books and web sites with serial number lists. First letter tells what kind of vehicle. P for Plymouth, D for Dodge, S for DeSoto, C for Chrysler, T for Dodge truck, Ind for industrial. There are other codes used for industrial and truck engines.

Second 1or 2 digits give year model but must be interpreted in terms of first letter.

Last 4 or 5 digits are serial number which tells approximately when in the model year it was made.

Example P18 = Plymouth 1949 model. P181001 = first 1949 Plymouth. Some series ran for 2 or 3 years but most for one year.

Vintage Power Wagons has lists on their web site.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

My brother in law has a 1930 Chrysler he is trying to find out which engine he has.  The heads are marked Spitfire.  They are 25" long.  The flat on the block, left front below the head is marked N-132195 CAL. It is also marked E 21 on same side but in the middle and lower on the block.

Edited by chuck wachter (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I'd like to get some assistance (and double checking) of the truck and engine information for my 1935 KH-32 V:

body tag: B-3-0-LR15988

B-3-0 = cab for a chassis cowl KH-32V (mid size truck with just the sheet metal from the dash forward, no windshield)

15988 = sequential number in B-3-0 sequence

build date: between June and October 1935

engine numbers

casting date: 8-12 = August 12, 1935????

casting number (is this the correct term?): 882929-2 = ????

engine number (left side of engine block, at front, below the cylinder head): T-13-7512

T = truck engine

T13: Make = Dodge Truck, Model = KH 16-18-V, KH 21-23-V, KH31-33-V

Year = 1935

512th engine built????

lower casting (is this the correct term?): 107 = ????

engineering code: T-13-E

T = truck, 23" long, 201 ci

E = 1-1/2 ton

serial number: 8239904

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, broberts said:

I'd like to get some assistance (and double checking) of the truck and engine information for my 1935 KH-32 V:

body tag: B-3-0-LR15988

B-3-0 = cab for a chassis cowl KH-32V (mid size truck with just the sheet metal from the dash forward, no windshield)

15988 = sequential number in B-3-0 sequence

build date: between June and October 1935

engine numbers

casting date: 8-12 = August 12, 1935????

casting number (is this the correct term?): 882929-2 = ????

engine number (left side of engine block, at front, below the cylinder head): T-13-7512

T = truck engine

T13: Make = Dodge Truck, Model = KH 16-18-V, KH 21-23-V, KH31-33-V

Year = 1935

512th engine built????

lower casting (is this the correct term?): 107 = ????

engineering code: T-13-E

T = truck, 23" long, 201 ci

E = 1-1/2 ton

serial number: 8239904

Have you tried reaching out to Eric Bannerman or his registry site T137 ?

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, KSC said:

I need help in decoding the serial numbers on the block and head of my Philift Forklift. I have attached some pictures of the numbers. On the block it shows A2 then 18.52 just below the A2.... which is on the drivers side block. Farther down on the block  just below the starterare the numbers 1326229   31.   On the head there are two sets of numbers 7-18 toward the front and either 1616823-17 or its [6] 6823-[7.... I cant tell if those are numerical 1's or a divider between numbers...... help if you can.

Philift Engine Part Numbers.docx

Came across this one while looking for other Mopar stuff.  year late - but those two numbers you posted are the part number of the block and the casting date which is actually 4 - 18 - 52 - April 18 1952.