Jack E

1930 Buick model 47 leaf spring bolt/nut

I'm missing the nuts off the leaf spring bolts. Does anyone have a photo of what the factory ones look like? I want to match them up as close to original as possible, if I can't find the originals. I've attached a photo, they're the nuts that go on the bolts with the grease fittings.

Thanks!

JackIMG_20180310_233820.thumb.jpg.453a405b30e41c1d0adb1cf67d00c469.jpg

Edited by Jack E (see edit history)

I suggest you post the diameter and TPI to help ID these for interchangeable parts from other cars. 

How many do you need?

Good point Mark. There are seven  9/16 bolts for the front and eight 5/8 bolts for the rear.  The photo attached above is of the front. That's just to give people an idea of what I'm looking for, a picture of the nuts.

Thanks,

Jack

I was able to grab this off a gentleman hot rodding his 1928 Buick. It was a four hour drive to get it, but if it's the  correct nut ....... Can anyone confirm that the nuts look/are the same for the 1930 Buick. Here's hoping so I can have some made.

Thanks again,

Jack

IMG_20180327_093706.thumb.jpg.538799417dea3ded8d6d8bfc416a6d6a.jpg

3 hours ago, Jack E said:

That would be great Buick64C! Thank you very much!!!

Just to clarify, is the part you're referring to on the left of that rusty bolt? In the original post, it looks like you have the other end.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

It looks exactly the same as those on 29-31 Pontiac.

time to look up some parts books? One might expect they will have the same part number?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buick64C said:

Just to clarify, is the part you're referring to on the left of that rusty bolt? In the original post, it looks like you have the other end.

Yes, I have the bolt. I'm just looking for the correct nut that goes on it which is on the left in the second photo.

Thanks again,

Jack

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

time to look up some parts books? One might expect they will have the same part number?

Do you have a photo of the nut?

Thanks,

Jack

2 hours ago, Tinindian said:

It looks exactly the same as those on 29-31 Pontiac.

Do you have a photo of the nut?

Thanks,

Jack

According to the Pontiac parts book it is a 5/8 18 Hex Nut.  The nut is the same on all shackle pins but the pins are different whether they are for the shackle or the front end of the springs. Part numbers mean nothing across divisions.  All GM part numbers originally were purchase order numbers.  If there was a changed up number it usually meant something was changed so a new order number was required.  Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's a good partsman could tell the division and perhaps even the year by the part number.

The nuts on my Pontiac measure .560 thick, .937 wide and there is a heavy duty lock washer used.  Mine are 1.078 wide and .156 thick.

Hope some of this helps

001.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos tinindian! I'm not sure the Pontiac nuts are the same as the Buick ones. They seem to have a different look/styling to them. Size wise I think you're correct, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing Buick64C's photos to compare. This is a big part of what I like about these vehicles, how different the manufacturers were......

Thanks for all the info and help with this,

Jack

Here’s what’s on my car, but I’m not sure if it will help as they were replaced when the car was restored.  The first one is at the front, the other the rear. The nut measures 1”, but oddly, I can’t get a 1” socket on it.

F3B7D71F-2E5E-4298-BAA6-8611B728E058.jpeg

DB2B9507-79BC-4C81-A89E-E99E58D88B40.jpeg

• Like 1