12v battery on 6v system

Grizz

I plan on converting everything later to a 12v system but I just want to hear it run one time! Can I pull the 12v battery from another car and hook it up? If only long enough to hear it fire and run? Or would I just be wasting time? Also is it worth converting? I’ve never done this before but from what I understand it’s fairly easy. Or If it doesn’t make a big difference I’ll just keep the 6v system for nostalgia. Thanks for the help

I would only suggest doing it at your own risk. You would need to make sure none of your accessories would get 12V or they would fry quickly. I started a 6V car with a 12V battery once and nothing appeared get damaged. I was just impressed how easily it started but it was already running really well on 6V.

Best just get get a good 6V battery and make sure you have good heavy gauge battery cables that are 0 or 00 gauge.

1 hour ago, Bleach said:

Best just get get a good 6V battery and make sure you have good heavy gauge battery cables that are 0 or 00 gauge.

Bleach is right, most complaints about 6V systems are due to corrosion and bad grounds like any other car and especially undersized battery cables.  If you need a 6V battery or bigger cables farm stores and tractor supply stores can be a good source

Run a ground cable directly from battery to the starter, attach it to one of the bolts that hold the starter in, making sure that there's no paint or rust under the cable and you have good contact metal to metal.

If you follow the path that a frame ground has to follow to ground the starter, there are frame joints that become rusty and a lot of other obstacles to the current flowing.

I've done this on a few of my cars, and the rapid rate of engine turning is astounding.

All that said, you have to have heavy cables as mentioned for six volt, and your starter must be in good condition.  I'm lucky to have a great starter and generator guy a few miles down the road from me, and for a hundred bucks he'll rebuild most to tip top condition, cosmetics excluded.....

Been running my 52 on 6 volt for 18000 miles. Good connections are imperative. I have several 6 volt systems and have gone to using #2 welding cable. Much easier to work with and any end you need can be fitted either by yourself or many parts shops. My local NAPA does it for me here.

When I went to check out my car it didn't have a battery and I had to hear it run. The PO used a 12 volt to "jump" start it. He said his mechanic buddy said it would be OK as long as he disconnected the cables immediately. I was worried but it seems it didn't do any damage after I bought it. Why would you want to change the volts? Clean connections are a must in any machine. My only concern is not being able to listen to my working am radio which I think is cool. Turns out there's a company RediRad that has a unit that hooks up to it and you can play music from your smartphone or ipod. Problem solved!

You should pick up an owners manual off ebay. It's got the wiring schematics.

wiring.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I agree to keep it original. The last 6 volt I bought only had 450 cold granting amps. It must have been for a golf cart. Not strong enough for my truck.

This is the Tractor Supply battery. Lot better amps.

83B9AB1F-FFE3-4316-93C3-E3B22DC35B7E.thumb.png.2ce36457e238230d65678e1bdb850781.png

Not sure of original size of battery but this one is a lot smaller then the holding bracket.

B6830D9C-20D7-4305-A35A-1E381C3E1017.png

I have come to find out that 6 volt cars run well.  The problems start when the grounds get corroded.  Get the appropriate battery cable, buy a battery with good cold cranking amp ratings, clean ALL grounds and keep the original 6 volt system!