Window Install?

Has anyone here installed their own window glass? I don't mean just door glass, that's not too difficult. I am ready for windshield and back glass in my '38 coupe and I'd like to tackle it on my own, if possible.

My question:

Does the seal install to the body first and then the window into the seal? Also, do you use any type of lubricant to ease the installation?

Thanks, Greg

20171130_193137.jpg

Usual method is to put the rubber on the glass, wrap a special cord around the rubber and push the glass into place at the bottom then use the cord to pull the rubber into the body. Use a rubber lubricant. If you don't have rubber lubricant shampoo works well. Get some from the dollar store for a $1 buck. Don't use your wife's $45 a bottle stuff she will get mad.

Does your windshield not fit into a 2 part frame that surrounds the glass and pushes outward? If so, it's set with glass setting tape not a rubber seal. If it does use the tape ,the tape is laid along the outer edge of the glass and then the glass is forced into the channel of the frame. I would use a little light oil to lubricate the tape if it's the rubber composition material as it helps to swell the tape to create a tighter fit. Originally it was a cork on fabric material which is almost gone today. It comes in several thicknesses to fill the gap, so subtracting the thickness of the glass from the width of the channel will give you the proper thickness of tape. Once the glass is set, the excess is trimmed off with a razor blade. I always install the glass first to avoid messing up a good paint job on the frame unless your's is plated. If the rear window is set in a rubber glass channel seal and compressed between the body opening and the garnish moulding, install the glass into the seal then set the assy. into the opening and install the garnish moulding. If correctly done, no sealant needs to be used. If you are using  a rubber seal with the outer flap that pulls out to surround the outer body opening, use Rusty's method with the string to pull the flap out around the body after setting it in place. Also, no sealant should be needed if the seal is correct for the car. Good luck and make sure you have help or at least somebody there to yell at if things go south!

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes Jim, now that I really examine this, you are correct. The rear window and rear side quarter glasses all are held in place by the inner frames so they will be very easy. Looks like only the windshield is different. It is a one piece, looks like the rubber seal pops outside the opening to seal the outer edge. The inner frame probably helps hold it in place.

So if I put some type of cord in the outer groove of the seal, then put the glass in place, then pull the cord around the circumference of the window opening, this will pop the outer lip "out", where it belongs?

Greg

There should be some videos on Youtube. There is a nylon cord for this that won't cut the rubber. Glass installers have a kind of pointed popsicle stick they use to help pry the rubber into place. When I do one I try to get the bottom lip inside the frame, have a helper hold the glass in position and use the cord and pry into place.

Greg, I think Rusty's grasp of the task is spot on. Do have someone else there with you to help. The rubber gasket doesn't just easily pop into place. Having someone on the outside pressing against the windshield while you are in the inside finessing the cord is the way to go. Also, Rusty is right about starting with the bottom first. Lastly, with that beautiful new paint job, use lots of caution handling the glass. If you were to somehow fumble the thing a rough or jagged edge on the glass could scrape fresh paint pretty quickly. Maybe you should protect the cowl with some old blankets. Good luck with the job.

I looked at the profiles in the Steele rubber book and it appears that the rear window and qtr window seals do have that weather lip that goes along the body. The string may help get that lip in position. They also show 2 different seals for the windshield, one without chrome trim and one with that has a retainer bead.