Rear calipers..?

8 hours ago, 89Chryslerati said:

Is there any trick to pushing the piston in? My dad says it looks like the screw-in type but there aren't any notches like most of those type have.. idk much about these older calipers

There is a plug on the back side of the caliper, directly where the center of the piston would line up. Remove the plug and with a 5mm allen wrench (I think)  turn the adjuster screw inside the caliper housing with the wrench counter clockwise to pull the piston back in the caliper bore. Also verify that the parking brake mechanism is free to move and the parking brake cable is also loosened and free to move.

After installing the new pads, and whatever else you managed to replace, turn the screw with the same allen wrench clockwise to the point the pads drag heavily against the rotor, then loosen enough to allow the rotors to rotate with a small amount of drag. After you have done this adjustment you should adjust the parking brake cable.

It looks like you better also pack the rear wheel bearings while you have the brakes apart.

Edited by Hemi Dude (see edit history)

Oh, wow! My father has been a mechanic since he was a teenager & he has never in his life seen calipers that do that! Unfortunately, he probably destroyed my calipers forcing the piston in with his caliper pliers before I saw your response! Oh well, actually turns out our local parts store can get them in 3 days for $79 +core their website showed nothing but the employee found a way to get them!

12 minutes ago, 89Chryslerati said:

Oh, wow! My father has been a mechanic since he was a teenager & he has never in his life seen calipers that do that! Unfortunately, he probably destroyed my calipers forcing the piston in with his caliper pliers before I saw your response! Oh well, actually turns out our local parts store can get them in 3 days for $79 +core their website showed nothing but the employee found a way to get them!

I do hope they will be the correct ones. The ones that fit the LeBaron and other 1989 Chrysler cars are NOT the same ones.

They must be similar to the ones on the 1987-88 Daytona with rear disc brakes.