BCA 2018 Denver Meet Prewar Buick Parking

Mark Shaw

As National Director of the BCA Pre-War Division (PWD), I informed the BCA Board that the PWD will invoke procedure #5 of the BCA Standard Operating Procedures to park all PWD Buicks chronologically regardless of judging class for the Denver meet.

SOP Procedure #5

·       4.1 National Meets:  Members of a Division are encouraged to present their cars at the annual BCA National Meet.

·       4.1.1 There may be a class or classes for the Division’s cars on the show field.

·       4.1.2 The Division will develop the method by which the Division’s cars are judged and by which awards are presented to cars in that Division.

With agreement from the BOD & Chief Judge, all prewar Buicks will parked all-together for any class, judged or not judged, at the Denver meet.  The PWD encourages participation in regular BCA  judging, but will not provide any special awards. 

PWD members who attend the 2018 meet are being asked to help park all prewar cars chronologically in Classes A B C & D.  So, when you arrive, please assist the Denver meet parking team and other prewar Buick owners as needed.  I have offered to coordinate with the Denver group on the show field parking layout so we can park all together.  However, I expect that some in the modified class and maybe a few others may feel uncomfortable parking all together.  So, I ask those assisting the parking team to welcome all BCA prewar Buick owners to park with us, but please do not insist if they feel more comfortable parking elsewhere.  I am confident that BCA members and the general public will be able to more easily compare Buicks in different judging classes and better appreciate the many product developments in early Buicks when they are displayed all-together. 

Mark Shaw

BCA PWD National Director

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

As Moderator, I think my input to this or other related matters should remain neutral and unbiased, however I am not fully understanding how this will effect/affect the show field as a whole.

So as I understand it, the above agreement with the board holds true for the Pre-War Division Buicks. And that any other Division, be it  65 GS, 1959, 1958, Pre-War, 1936,37-38 club, the BDE, 53-54 Skylark Club, Performance & Modified Divisions may approach the Board and seek permission to do same as the PWD has.

I guess my question is, what about the post war Buicks IE 1946 to present, which are not currently covered by an official "Division"?   Will there have to be an official Post War Division formed in order for the same process that Mark went through for ALL Buicks to park chronologically, that is if the said new Post War Division so desired to do so.
Please excuse me if I am missing something altogether here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr. Earl,

For years I asked the board to stop segregated parking.  The only reason I was able to do this was because I found that SOP#5 clearly allows a BCA division to do it.  In my opinion, there is a majority of board members who want to keep the national meet to be primarily about having a car show with segregated judging categories.  Since early production was relatively low, and age limits the number of surviving prewar Buicks, the Pre-War Division is a relatively small group within the BCA.  If other divisions prefer to park as they wish rather than segregated into judging classes, I encourage them to join us and site SOP#5 to park the way your division wants.  However, since there currently is no post-war division, I doubt that the current BCA board would approve a new post-war division; especially if the chief judge might loose control of the national meet parking arrangements.  In my opinion, the sponsoring chapter should have the deciding vote on parking arrangements, not the chief judge.

We currently have only two Pre-War Division board members, and cannot make significant changes to the status quo without help.  Larry Schramm is running for the board this year, and is well known for being a prewar Buick truck guy that drives his Buicks.   So if BCA members want change rather than the status quo, I suggest they vote for Larry Schramm and stop putting show judges on the BCA board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is not that difficult to park Pre-War cars according to years.  The judging classes (A-D) are all specifically year related anyway.  The difference is this: In the past, let's say 15 cars were registered for class B (1913 - 1935).  The show field would allocate 15 spots for Class B.  A Class B vehicle could park anywhere within these 15 spots.  In order to park specifically according to year, someone will have to make sure the cars are parked within Class B by year; 1913 on the left, then 1914, then 1915, etc.  1935 would be on the far right.  All it takes is for someone to direct the cars to their specific spot as they arrive.

I doubt if parking by year will migrate to other divisions.  The Rivieras, Reattas, Gran Sports, and Modifieds will still want to park together by division.  They wouldn't want to be with other models of the same year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TxBuicks -

I would add that there were other issues with the Pre-War (and other Divisions) parking at the National Meets that Mark Shaw's announcement of procedure will rectify.

For the cars being Judged, the Pre War owners do a pretty good job lining them up by years for A - D..  The issue is (now was?) with the Driven Class and Non Judged Display, a few Modified Pre War vehicles.  These vehicles are typically relegated to a different, remote parking area away from the Judged vehicles.  Two divorced parking assignments for similar Pre War vehicles, some meets it has been three or four lots; Judged/Driven/Display/Modified . . .

I will speak firsthand with an example.  2017 BCA National Meet,  I drove my 1923 Model 45 from Fenton, MI (18 miles South of Flint) to Brookfield, WI.  I was registered for the Driven Class.  As such, I was parked as far away from the Judged show field as possible.  I understand why.  The parking in the separate, Driven Class Lot was laid out with the oldest driven vehicles the furthest away on the north side of the hotel parking area, somebody had to be there.  My Judged Pre War fellow members were on the adjacent lot on the west side of the hotel.  I believe the Display vehicles were with the Driven but I'm not positive on that.  Again, what many PWD members wish is to park by year, regardless of Judged, Driven or Display etc..  This is what Mark's request accomplishes within the BCA by-laws.  Those who still wish to park with Modified or Display still can and he states this.

Now, I will save several people from saying this makes judging harder because now the show field contains Judged, Display and Driven etc. and is larger.  My answer is yes.  Judges will have to look for the display card of the correct color to know which vehicles to Judge within a band of years.  What I think people are missing though, beyond meeting the desires of a large group of Club Members to be/park together, is that this parking will enhance Judging.  Judges would have additional vehicles of similar years to reference.  On one side a Judged vehicle, and next to it an un-Judged Archival vehicle to assist as a reference and cause the judges to discuss a feature and come to a decision.  Or a Modified next to a Stock Display vehicle to be able to appreciate the differences and similarities of the two.

I also believe our guests will appreciate this as well.  They understand model years but not our Divisions.  And they will better see the fun people enjoying each others vehicles and company too. 

I also can't speak for the other Divisions but I hope they do as you suggest and stick together and enjoy themselves and their vehicles.  I hope they will use the by-laws to best serve them and their members to maximize their Club experience for themselves and their guests.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Driven Class has been changed to where it is not a separate class anymore.  Any registered vehicle can apply for a Driven medallion, so there will not be a separate place in the show field for the Driven Class.  Therefore, the Display and Driven will be parked in the same area as it's class. The Archival Class and the Modified Class, however, are still separated.

• Like 1

I agree with Mark and Brian. I like all Buick's and love the early ones and there changes through the years. After attending several nationals and having to look all around for the early cars it is not as enjoyable as a spectator. Not to mention the preway car owner that atends the show with his prewar car wanting to spend time by it and talk with other owners of the same era that are scattered around. Yes it may be a little harder on the several hours of judging. But the increased enjoyment for the spectators and car owners over the many days they are there FAR out way  any downside.

I live close to the LeMay family collection. They have 1500 cars that were packed in many large buildings. A short time ago one building was emptied and then cars put back in by year. You started with the early years and went up was you walked. This has been the most enjoyed display by all the visitors. So for the prewar I think this will be a much enjoyed arrangement. I can't wait to see them when I go this year.

Steve

• Like 9

Since the 20th century has been completed and well documented, would it be possible to create Prewar Divisions reflecting the periods prior to the various wars during that hundred year period?

That would also alleviate potential problems with the, ever increasing, number of figurative postwar cars in the future.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 1991 Polo Convertible said:

Interesting topic.    The interesting thought that crossed my mind was what about the trailer queen guy that shows up and is not a regular PWD guy - you know who you are - and just wants his super expensive to restore car that he probably did not do anything to (just handed it off to a restorer shop) judged in the 400 point show field.  He just gets Bugles and is a member because he wants that validation of excellence for his over restored car.   Maybe never see him again after he wins Gold. 

His and other Pre war Buicks of similar ilk will be separated from the PWD group, and there may be bias in judging HIS car from YOUR crowd?  Maybe?  Just playing devil's advocate since I am sure some or all of the PWD judges will judge all cars in the categories. 

All prewar Buicks are welcome to park all-together judged or not judged in all classes.  I have also been assured that all judged Buicks will be judged the same weather they are parked all-together or elsewhere on the show field.

At every BCA national meet I have attended the early cars are parked closest to the host hotel or central facilities.  I have to stumble over them to get to my car over 100 yards away.  With my advancing age, I am getting more and more creaky with a smaller and smaller bladder.  Could you relinquish your prime spot so that I don't have to walk so far...probably have more room for your togetherness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, 1991 Polo Convertible said:

His and other Pre war Buicks of similar ilk will be separated from the PWD group, and there may be bias in judging HIS car from YOUR crowd?  Maybe?  Just playing devil's advocate since I am sure some or all of the PWD judges will judge all cars in the categories. 

It is my understanding that through the efforts of Mark Shaw (Pre War Division) and John Steed (National Chief Judge and National Meet Committee Chair) a compromise was reached:

The 4 classes of the pre war era will be parked together - regardless of class registered-  in (to the best of their ability) one contiguous area.  And any cars registered for Judging would be judged under the  BCA's judging system.  It was also agreed that to the best of their ability, the cars will be parked in chronological order in these 4 pre war classes.  And that all efforts would be made to accomplish this!

Assuming you are new to the BCA judging system, there are two classes for judging.  400 point for restored or partially restored cars, and Archival for original cars.

There are two other classes  for registering a car at the National: display and modified.  Display cars (for this group) will be parked together with the 400 point and Archival cars.   The Modifieds will be parked separately.  The Modified Division does their own judging because it is substantially different in nature than the BCA focus.

And it is also my understanding that this years combination of the classes may be extended to the entire show field in the future, depending on how this all works out. Emphasis is on the words "may" and "be".  Hopefully it will work smoothly and the Club can move forward.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, old-tank said:

At every BCA national meet I have attended the early cars are parked closest to the host hotel or central facilities. 

Who is going to walk any distance to see those new cars. Buick owners just saw them on the showroom floor 50 years ago.

17 hours ago, 1991 Polo Convertible said:

about the trailer queen guy that shows up and is not a regular PWD guy - you know who you are - and just wants his super expensive to restore car that he probably did not do anything to (just handed it off to a restorer shop)

I couldn't have written that without stopping to laugh like I am now.

That ain't helping things like Old Tanks bladder.... or mine.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The Modifieds will be parked separately.  The Modified Division does their own judging because it is substantially different in nature than the BCA focus.

John,

Modified prewar cars are welcome to park all-together with the rest of the prewar cars.  It is up to the Modified Division members to decide how and where they want to park their cars at national meets.  This is particularly true because they have their own judges.  I expect that it would be much easier to recognize any modifications when parked next to the same or similar non-modified cars.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

John,

Modified prewar cars are welcome to park all-together with the rest of the prewar cars. 

Thanks for the clarification Mark.  I agree.  But as far as I know the head of the Modified division was not in on these discussions so I cannot say with certainty that they will also judge modified pre war cars if they are parked in this section.   Has there been such a conversation?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Thanks for the clarification Mark.  I agree.  But as far as I know the head of the Modified division was not in on these discussions so I cannot say with certainty that they will also judge modified pre war cars if they are parked in this section.   Has there been such a conversation?

John,

Not yet, but if they want to park with us they are certainly welcome.  All they need to do is quote BCA SOP #5 (as I did) to get it done.  

On 4/3/2018 at 11:59 AM, old-tank said:

At every BCA national meet I have attended the early cars are parked closest to the host hotel or central facilities.  I have to stumble over them to get to my car over 100 yards away.  With my advancing age, I am getting more and more creaky with a smaller and smaller bladder.  Could you relinquish your prime spot so that I don't have to walk so far...probably have more room for your togetherness.

Next meet I get to with my car I'm parking next to Willie...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

With my advancing age, I am getting more and more creaky with a smaller and smaller bladder.  Could you relinquish your prime spot so that I don't have to walk so far

I would argue that the prewar guys probably have the same or even more "small-tank" issues than the 50's era guys.    

2 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I would argue that the prewar guys probably have the same or even more "small-tank" issues than the 50's era guys.    

I just thought maybe you would share...after all my 55 is 63 years old (about the age of yours when the club was founded).

(Depending upon build date, possibly, what about the Korean War??)

I'm glad that we have members that are "engaged" with many areas of the operation of the BCA.  I'm also cognizant of the "respect your elders" orientation from prior times.  Prior times when many of us were "taught" things in our youth.  But I also remember from back then when "In their second childhood" was an operative explanation for how some "elders" acted or reacted to situations.  And in that respect, I also remember how parents might react to a constant nagging by their teen-aged children about being allowed to do some things they thought they  (the kids) needed to do . . . else the world might come to an end.

In that orientation, I'm wondering "Why" we're still having issues with where the Pre-War, or any other similar entity in the BCA, will be parked on the show field and in what manner?  How many years has this discussion been going on?  Not that I've been following it closely, but I was under the impression that it had been settled a good while back.  Therefore, when I saw this thread, I'm thinking "I thought this deal had been settled?"  AND if it hasn't been settled, I certainly hope it will have been "put to bed" before 2019!

Personally, I don't like to see dialogue about how many BCA BOD members might be "aligned with particular orientations" (as few Pre-War oriented members on the BOD comment alluded to).  The BCA BOD should be working, impartially, for the whole organization's good and prosperity, no matter what.  NOT a power struggle of whom's for/against whom!  And, as a BCA member, that's what I expect to happen -- period.  As both the host chapter and the BCA have a good bit of financial issues riding on the success of the National Meets, how the National Meets happen is important, just as such meets are important to the BCA for many other reasons . . . including a good reason to "get out of town" and meet other like-minded Buick enthusiasts!  Everybody attending ought to have a good time, but it seems some minor issues, which might only last for the bulk of daytime daylight, keep reappearing for one reason or another.  

I know that many want to park where they might desiere, by whom they desire.  Been there, seen that, many times over the decades.  But I also know how the judging operations need to happen and what might delay them.  But then I like for things to be laid out logically to aid in that function.  That's just me.  Get it completed and get on with things, while taking enough time to do it correctly with a high degree of reliability.

Perhaps, we need to consider "Divisional" parking rather than "Class Parking"?  Assign judging groups to these divisions, with the related divisional judging have class divisions within them?  That might also need to include a "General Population" division.  Not sure we need to deploy Porta-Potties every 75 feet, though, but it might be considered.

I also have observed (of others and myself), that as we age, "change" takes more effort to rationalize.  We feel comfortable in what we are used to, which is fine.  Aside of any changes in bodily function, which there seem to be few options to change, which can be depressing.  Depression can then lead to anxiety about things that really don't mean much, after everything settles down.  These have been my advancing observations over the past decade or so.  NO finger pointing intended!  For example, when we had Pontiacs with the European-inspired wiper control on a shorter stalk on the right hand side of the steering column, as the car had a floor shifter, whenever a "retired person" got into one, after they started the car, got ready to back out, rather than the car move, the windshield wipers would operate.  Which always brought a surprised look to their face as they then found the floor shift to put the car in "R" and back out.

We all ought to be working together for the good of the WHOLE organization -- period.  That means the BCA BOD, the BCA Divisions, and everybody else involved in making that happen.  I dislike seeming re-ignited/recurring "controversy", especially partisan-oriented controversy.  It doesn't matter where it comes from or whom is involved.   We have had far too much of that in our lives over the last 9 years.  I don't like that either!  So, please get something on paper, signed, and agreed to by all parties involved, so we can move on to bigger and better things in the future.  That's the business-like way to do things, by observation.   And please get this completed BEFORE 2019.

I respectfully thank for your time, consideration, and toleration of my "Free Speech".  I make these comments as a free-standing member of the BCA, only.

Willis Bell  20811

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

sitting in bed having rainy day Sunday morning coffee with my sweet Rita, she on her lap top, me on mine. Me staring out the window for a period. Rita - "What are you thinking about? Me- "Some **** I'd like to say if I wasn't a moderator"

But I will go so far as to give thanks to Willis for saying what I think many of us have been  thinkin, and in much more eloquent terms than I would have used by far.  

21 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

The BCA BOD should be working, impartially, for the whole organization's good and prosperity, no matter what.  NOT a power struggle of whom's for/against whom!  And, as a BCA member, that's what I expect to happen -- period. 

We all ought to be working together for the good of the WHOLE organization -- period.  That means the BCA BOD, the BCA Divisions, and everybody else involved in making that happen.

but then....

Perhaps, we need to consider "Divisional" parking rather than "Class Parking"?  Assign judging groups to these divisions, with the related divisional judging have class divisions within them?  That might also need to include a "General Population" division.

and I assume or hope that by the last quote regarding "divisions" being made in italics, it was said in jest. As I see it, we are divided enough already and all this division oriented talk is only pulling us further apart.  You can only pull taffy so far until it breaks then all you have is a stringy mess. 

Just one question though Willis and not being a smart acre here but, I'm not seeing your name on the ballot because why?

• Like 1

The whole issue of "altogether" and "chronological" parking has been hammered out to the point where, I even hesitate to even bring it up. That said, John DiFore has done as good a job as I have seen of explaining where this is at the moment. I know that a parking issue at a previous National Meet has brought this to the forefront. That is long over and done with. No one on the National Meet Committee has been against this type of parking. The biggest issues are that parking at any National Meet becomes a compromise between the hotel and the host chapter. Many times a planned parking arrangement gets changed at the 11th hour due to a hotel selling part of their parking lot, agreements between hotels and their neighbors going away just before a meet is scheduled to happen. (the same situation can occur with trailer parking) Unless a person has been involved in the running of a meet, it can be very difficult to understand how these situations can occur.  The other issues that can and do occur is a lack of volunteers to actually do the parking. Much of our membership is aging and can not be putting 8 plus hours a day parking cars in the summer heat. As John mentioned in his comments, every effort will be made to accomplish chronological parking starting at the 2018 Denver meet. This will be our initial trial for this type of parking with the expectation, that what ever is learned will be used to make improvements going forward. It is not expected that modifieds will be included as, they use a different type of judging, and will probably prefer to park in the modified Class. Modifieds span a great number of years and this  would put too great a strain on the organization of the meet, if they prefer to be judged.

I am also sure that any modified that wants "display only" and wants to be chronologically parked could be accommodated.

I am looking forward to the Denver Meet. The host chapter has done a great job in organizing this meet.

Jack Welch (National Meet Committee / 2018 National Meet Head Judge)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

KongaMan and others who may be like minded,

I agree there may be some that look at a meet a "competition and a chance to show off", but I would submit that many look at the intention of judging is to compare one's vehicle to as coming from the factory as built, which is not a competition amongst owners.  There may be some that may be considered as "showing off", put I think they are declining in numbers. 

Perhaps we should consider simply mention the car owner's name and have each stand up to be recognized and ask them to come to a certain area to pick up their awards and allow others to take photos. This would be done after the final remarks allowing others to stay and have discussions.  That allows the banquet to me completed and allow those that want to chat to do so.  After all, the car gets the award, not the owner no matter how much was spent on a restoration.  One of my cars has a gold senior and AACA Senior and another Silver and the third a Driven Award, and AACA HPOF.  I do not think it important to walk to receive the award.  But, I want the awards distributed at the meet, so the club does not need to carry them to a meet and than have to take back and mail them to an owner.

John

• Like 2

Most of the National Meets, that i have brought a car to, I have shown it as display only.

Even though I am heavily involved with the judging program,  I do not care about submitting my car for judging for the most part. I do have one car that is a Gold / Senior car, but I have also participated in a 2000 mile plus tour with that same car. BCA National Meets are currently set up for members to get the most of that fellowship regardless of their reason for attending. Some come to see other cars and get ideas for cars, that they are restoring, others to buy Buick parts from our vendors , some to have their cars judged. The greatest fun to me is seeing the cars and getting together with my many BCA friends. Why are we hung up on why other members attend?

Edited by Jack Welch (see edit history)
  • Like 3

on a totally different note, I am wondering if anyone can guide me through the process of editing my Info , such as cars listed. I have been trying to figure out how to add my 1938 Buick, and can not seem to find the correct path to do that.

3 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

on a totally different note, I am wondering if anyone can guide me through the process of editing my Info , such as cars listed. I have been trying to figure out how to add my 1938 Buick, and can not seem to find the correct path to do that.

Jack...PM sent.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

It is not expected that modifieds will be included as, they use a different type of judging, and will probably prefer to park in the modified Class. Modifieds span a great number of years and this  would put too great a strain on the organization of the meet, if they prefer to be judged.

I am also sure that any modified that wants "display only" and wants to be chronologically parked could be accommodated.

Jack,

Although some do not expect the prewar Modified Division Buick owners will want to park all-together with the prewar Buicks, they will be welcome to do so if they choose to park all-together.  I will be sending a memo to all registered prewar Buick owners inviting them to park with the Prewar Division.  Many believe that parking this way will enhance the appreciation of each Buick when original, unrestored, and modified Buicks can be seen all-together.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Jack,

Although some do not expect the prewar Modified Division Buick owners will want to park all-together with the prewar Buicks, they will be welcome to do so if they choose to park all-together.  I will be sending a memo to all registered prewar Buick owners inviting them to park with the Prewar Division.  Many believe that parking this way will enhance the appreciation of each Buick when original, unrestored, and modified Buicks can be seen all-together.

Agreed, although it would be ideal if they were clearly delineated into which category they fit.  For judging, the different colour of placards work, but for those not involved in judging, new to the BCA, or any members of the public it may not be as obvious.  It bothers me to hear or read of a "restored" vehicle that is modified.  It has nothing to do with the vehicle, but the language used, which confuses the observer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

Agreed, although it would be ideal if they were clearly delineated into which category they fit.  For judging, the different colour of placards work, but for those not involved in judging, new to the BCA, or any members of the public it may not be as obvious.  It bothers me to hear or read of a "restored" vehicle that is modified.  It has nothing to do with the vehicle, but the language used, which confuses the observer.

I think BCA member observers will not be too confused. If they are, probably have not been paying attention. As for the public observer, well, is the meet for them or US?  

Let's just TRY to have fun and enjoy one another. 

Ben

• Like 2

On 4/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, Jack Welch said:

wait you have a 38 Buick????

• Haha 2