Jump to content

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, jmb10124 said:

I have a 1989 TC and the odometer is not working and stuck on 22,xxx miles. The trip also doesn’t work, everything else on the dash works. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be fixed? Thanks!

If you remove the cluster and then the speedometer, I can repair it for you if you want. I have done many over the years, being a Chrysler mechanic since 1959.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Common issue on these. Mine stopped at 7k miles & some change. I would have been at a dealership raising hell if I was the original buyer & it quit working that soon! Pretty sure I've got pretty low miles still as I'm 90% sure the rear pads I replaced yesterday were original. Eventually want to get mine repaired too. Will probably just send it out & get everything refreshed as my speedo occasionally acts up too & a few of the bulbs are very dim..

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 89Chryslerati said:

Common issue on these. Mine stopped at 7k miles & some change. I would have been at a dealership raising hell if I was the original buyer & it quit working that soon! Pretty sure I've got pretty low miles still as I'm 90% sure the rear pads I replaced yesterday were original. Eventually want to get mine repaired too. Will probably just send it out & get everything refreshed as my speedo occasionally acts up too & a few of the bulbs are very dim..

So your odometer stopped working the first year you had the TC? It usually takes over 20 years before they fail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hemi Dude said:

So your odometer stopped working the first year you had the TC? It usually takes over 20 years before they fail.

I just bought the car in November so idk when it failed but I imagine it didn't take too long to put 7k on it, even if they only drove on nice days

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 89Chryslerati said:

I just bought the car in November so idk when it failed but I imagine it didn't take too long to put 7k on it, even if they only drove on nice days

If it had not been driven more than 7K on the odometer, it likely means that the car was parked for 99% of it's lifetime with the original owner.

It takes many years for the grease, which was applied by the Japanese who built the speedometer, to harden like epoxy. This is why the 20 tooth reduction gear breaks.

It becomes seized in place. If you replace the 2 gears involved, don't grease them at all. Leave them dry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...