Model 20 Fuel Leak

PMac

My 1910 has what I understand to be the original brass petcock (combination petcock/brass gauze fuel strainer/reserve fuel level indicator) piece fitted below the fuel tank. The petcock has three settings, one for off, reserve level and fully on. While I have managed to seal the various threads on this unit, despite my best efforts to seat the tapered petcock barrel, it continues to weep fuel. Any suggestions for a fix welcome. 

Cheers,

Peter

I've had the same problem, getting any older tapered valve to seal is difficult, particularly with the flow characteristics of gasoline.

Taking it apart and lapping in the taper may work, use a lapping compound as used on engine valves.  Some people use  toothpaste for a really fine final cut.

There should be a small spring on the opposite side of the taper from the lever, which gives a pre-load if you will to seat the taper in the valve.  Make sure that spring is in good shape, and it has to exert enough force to hold the taper tight, yet you can still be able to turn valve.

Failing all that, since it's well hidden, you may end up going with a new valve.  Of course you lose originality and the reserve feature if you do that.

Here are some pictures of the correct valve/strainer, not mine, stolen from Ken F's pictures...I do have one of these, though, and don't throw away any fittings, that fitting on the left with the nut is a thread that I've not been able to match with any modern fitting, and I have an old time hardware store that has a lot of fittings!

100_2645.JPG

100_2633.JPG

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Is it possible that a much later part valve/handle would fit.  If the taper and length were the same it would not be a big job to drill the second hole in it. 

What about taking the original valve/handle in and have it brass plated, maybe two or three layers.  That would build it up slightly and you could lap it in to a perfect fit.

Thanks for the photos. It reminds me of the Model T filter, but easier to clean the filter screen. That unit looks like it could be reproduced, but probably not by me. I copied the intake manifold and only sold one copy of that. I note the central tube appears to protrude an inch or two up into the fuel tank.

Phil

Phil, yes the central tube does protrude up into the fuel tank by about an inch or so. This is a simple fuel reserve indicator. When the petcock is set (in my case) to the downward position, fuel is only drawn through the smaller raised tube, thereby giving the driver a warning when there is circa one gallon of fuel left in the tank (I don't have an owners manual, it may make reference to the precise volume of reserve fuel?). The petcock is then set to the middle position to draw fuel through the main pipe which is largely flush with the bottom of the tank. The tapered petcock valve pin has two offset holes drilled into it, one for each setting. The small washer on the spring side of the valve pin has two indents and these slot into the indents on the main body of the device. This gives you confirmation of the positioning of the valve relative to each setting (you can hear and feel it click into place). You can see this better in Trimacar's photos of the disassembled unit. The petcock (in my case) is rotated upwards to shut the fuel flow off completely, again with a click to confirm its location.

Cheers,

Peter