7-lug wheels and hub brake assemblies

Jim Rohn

Way, way back I had a pair of nice wire wheels that I had searched for an ID within these esteemed members. The best guesses were Reo Royale or a large Chrysler.

I was able to re-home those wheels somewhere in New England (can't recall exactly).

Silly me, I ended up adopting another pair, this time with hubs that were modified to use for a trailer (seriously, you want 7-lug hubs?).

Here are some pics, maybe someone can ID them more precisely through the hubs/brake drums.

6.50-18 is the tire size of one tire, the other, a Goodyear, is 7.00-18.

The locking rings used to be chrome, the black paint on the wheels appears to be original.

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

IMG_8975.JPG

IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG

IMG_8967.JPG

Looks like a 1929 Chrysler front axle spindles and hubs to me...

" An example of the innovate engineering in the new Chrysler. The tubular front axle only weighed in at 27 pounds and worked well with the front-wheel brakes. It soon became popular for use on racing cars".

Chrysler axle.jpg

Agree with Keiser. My '27 Chrysler G70 has a tubular front axle and the axle ends and king pins look identical in design. The G70 also has the same tierod ends with twin pinch bolts to clamp them to the tierod. My brake back plates are also bolted on with six bolts in the same design.

The internal expanding brakes I believe were introduced on Chrysler in 1929 and their model 72 of that year, I believe, had 7-bolt 18 inch wheels.

Viv.

These are Motor Wheel Corp., Lansing Michigan, Type N wire wheels.

Looking at reference catalogs, they show 1928-29 Chrysler Models 62 and 65 using 18 x 4", same years Models 72 and 75 using 18 x 4-1/2", and same years Model 80 using 18 x 5".

Same references show Hudson 1928-29 using Motor Wheel Type N, but 19 x 4-1/4".  Listings also show the same wheels for 1929 Oldsmobile F-29 Deluxe in 18 x 4", and for 1928 Reo Wolverine & Flying Cloud "Mate" in 18 x 4", and 1929 Flying Cloud  "Master" using 18 x 4-1/2".

• Like 1