1956 Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir

36VictoriaCoupe

I wanted to share my fix for the 1956 Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir in case someone else has the same problem.  Mine had developed a hole and I lost all fluid.  I tried JB weld as a temp fix until I could look for one.  It held for about 6-9 months I think.  well as many of you can probably guess, I could not find another one.  Replacing the entire master was not in the cards so I decided to make one.

I started with solid 1.75" round stock.  Bored it out, milled the bottom and inserted steel threads.  I think it came out pretty good.  It is holding fluid and fits the master really well.  Brakes have never worked this good.

20180313_235141_zpsjmwqbdrr.jpg

20180313_235223_zpsuwgdwmkd.jpg

20180313_235250_zpshhozjekn.jpg

• Like 6

I thought about trying to weld it up but the material is so thin and the hole was so large along with it being two different holes, making one was easier.  This was my first machining project where accuracy mattered.  Previous projects were more freehand making knobs spacers, washers and such. 

• Like 2

Since I am just one person and inexperienced in running the machines it takes me a while.  I am sure that if someone needed one I could help out for a reasonable amount.  There are improvements I would like to make and some new tooling to make it easier if I was making more than one, like an all carbide boring bar.  One issue is that the one I made does not have the same internal volume as original, but I bet it is reasonable.  I can also make it a little taller to make up for some of it.  It has much thicker walls as you can see in the pics and a lot more metal in the base of the cylinder.   I am open to having conversations about it.  If someone was interested they can DM me. 

Edited by 36VictoriaCoupe (see edit history)
  • Like 2