My '53 Chrysler...A Maintenance Update

I thought I'd update what I have been doing with my Chrysler over the winter. Well since I bought it last May I guess.

I have been steadily improving the car to make it safe and touring ready. Tonight I am quite pleased with it as it seems to be running as good as ever.

This winter I pulled and resealed the engine oil pan.  I bought all new Coker radial tires. Full new exhaust and muffler. Resealed all wheel cylinders. All new rear brake lines from master cylinder back. 

New brake flex hoses. I honed and rebuilt the master cylinder. Set up the brakes. Installed seat belts. Repaired the radio. Replaced antenna. Full lube job, oil and filter. 

Last season I did the valve grind and valve set. A complete tune up. New fuel pump and filter. Dropped and restored the fuel tank. New 6V battery and cables. 

Tonight it purrs and drives the best, since I have owned it. What a car. Smooth like silk. The engine sings so quietly. The engine power is adequate and delivered so very smooth. 

The new radials so far are excellent. This car is a joy to drive. Tonight behind the wheel, it feels to me like it might have when it was new. I am ready for cruising season. This year I plan to drive

further from town to car shows in my region. What a rewarding hobby this is. Too much fun. Thanks those here who offered tips. I'm sure I'll need more help again.

Cheers folks. See you out there!

QDqEU4U7ajl6ND_mhbhtQr5R4_J_luP3gtKfNKN9

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Last night was s nice evening to go out for a cruise. I have been running the Supreme Plus 96 octane. Apparently there is no ethanol in it, which can erode old rubber. So I try and stay away from ethanol.

KKHvQtTpUdhSHNw3TWAQ2ezrsTc8x2KTfOJ0O2i5

Your car was built when premium was 70 octane. It is made to run on low octane gas, it will run better on 87 octane regular than it will on premium. If you want to do your motor a favor toss in a little Redex, Marvel Mystery Oil or your favorite upper cylinder lubricant to prevent wear on the valves and rings.

I realize that my engine was designed with only about 120 PSI compression on a good day. So high octane is of no benefit. What I was concerned about is rubber parts in the fuel system. My understanding is the ethanol breaks down old rubber parts. My fuel pump was replaced last year, so it's likely fine. I was more concerned about any rubber seals found in the carb. the float seat etc. I am not sure if those have ever been replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking that the higher octanes are extended with the nasty stuff.

I would run regular, and if you do run into fuel pump or hose problems fix them.

It would seem to me that trying to avoid the extended fuels will eventually catch up with you. 

Yes a 6V system will benefit from larger “00” sized batter cables. My understanding is typical 12V battery cables on a 6V system will restrict maximum amp flow to the starter when cranking over. I have thicker new “00” cables in my car. 

I am also led to believe that the positive ground system used in my 1953 Chrysler is also more efficient. Compared to a negative ground system. Positive ground effectively allows longer cranking times if needed, before draining the battery.