Southeastern National Spring Meet, April 7

That's why I stopped going,   Matt those car corral pictures scared the hell out of me! AACA ???  looks like Sam's Used car lot,  nothing like a AACA event I am used to.  I always went to the flea market for years and used to get some goodies, but its 90% buffers sand blasters repopped sheet metal tools tires, not that those things are not needed, I just prefer Rusty Gold the Original parts,  Not 1980's 1990's Parts,   Guess I am getting old. LOL  ;) Hope all had a good safe time. Cheers

Guest Mark McAlpine

As usual, the Hornets Nest Region did an outstanding job with the Southeastern Spring Meet this year.  They really have this down to a tee--well organized, nice set up, friendly and helpful volunteers, and they always manage to attract a nice selection of cars on the show field.  Kudos to everyone who made it happen!

Unfortunately, the rain impacted the number of vehicles on the show field, but there was a great variety of really nice vehicles.  Thank you all the owners who braved the rain to share their vehicles with all of us and the many spectators who came to Charlotte Auto Fair--it's great publicity for our hobby and our club.

For those who couldn't make it to the Meet, here are some photos.  Try to make it to the Charlotte Meet next year--you'll definitely have fun.

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8482.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8532.JPG

IMG_8555.JPG

IMG_8562.JPG

Mark,

Thank you for posting the photos from the car show. In some of the photos it looks like the owners of a few cars are using some of the recalled Kidde Fire Extinguishers that I posted about last fall. Do you know if the AACA judging teams are informing the car owners about the recall when they see potentially recalled extinguishers on the show field? If not, maybe the VP of Class Judging can  have someone make copies of the recall information that can be given to judging teams to hand out to car owners at future AACA events this year who still have/use the recalled extinguishers?? 

Yes, I do realize that the post about the recall was here on the forums for a long while and in the Speedster and elsewhere. Still, it appears that some AACA members missed it.

Charlie

Got home last night, too late and too tired to check the posts or add anything, but I echo congratulations to HNR for a great auto fair.  The AACA meet in Sat suffered because of the rain, but still there were some fabulous vehicles out there that braved the elements.  There was a 1912 Cadillac, and a fantastic HPOF 1915 Model T Centerdoor Sedan that were really a pleasure to see.  Many others who braved the elements are commended for bring stuff out, including several great 1st time fresh restorations.  Really, it was just a drizzle - I've seen much worse!   The swap meet was a real treasure hunt and I covered a lot of it.  Granted the new parts vendors were out in force, but what do you expect?  They've been there since day one and it's a great chance to pick up what you need without paying shipping.  HNR runs a fantastic "shuttle" service too, so hauling stuff isn't the chore it is at many larger meets.  I found some neat stuff and overall would consider the seap meet better this year than some previously.  I collect early automobilia and saw plenty to choose from.  A friend who walked with me managed the buy of the year, finding a couple of really super Model t clincher rims for 10 bucks a piece.   I passed on a very nice pair of brass sidelamps because of some age cracking, buit they would have been twice the price at most other meets.  Lots of interesting cars for sale in the swap meet area too.  I didn't walk much around the track but did note some nice tow vehicles that were for sale.   With the threat of Saturday rain, many of the vendors began packing up late Friday but who can blame them. 

It's a typical HNR auto fair - one of the friendliest events in the country.  It's well run, the HRN folks are always smiling and helpful, and it'll always be one of my favorite events.  There is plenty for everyone and that's what makes it great.  

Terry

• Like 3

Here is a photo of my class 34A and also a view from the speedway club ( nice lunch and refuge from the misty rain).

HNR hosted a well planned show that was a lot of fun. It was also a  great 700 mile road trip for the little HiPo 289. 

Charlotte434A.thumb.JPG.7bde72390398d6e91a308f76b407824b.JPGSpeedwayClub.thumb.JPG.8d1789ca0b7a29f8495ec0fe9e16e9a3.JPG

• Like 1

James,

You have a nice looking GT fastback!  Looks like you were in a nice gathering of Mustangs; 2 fastbacks, a coupe and a convertible and all different colors too!  Nice to hear you drove it there and back.  Here is a pic of my '65 Caspian Blue coupe.

Matt

1965 Ford Mustang.JPG

Got back last night from the event. First time I attended and was very very disappointed. Not at the AACA part, but the rest of the event.  Like Matt said the car corral was a joke for the most part with modern cars for sale, including something like a 2016 Dodge Ram, newer cars you'd see on a corner used car lot. Yes there were some really nice cars, but the should limit the cars to older collector cars and I guess hot rods and modified if they have to.  You had the big vendors there, Coker, National Parts Depot and others, but for the most part very very little pre world war II stuff and for that matter even 50's stuff unless it was aftermarket eldebrock manifolds etc.  They even had some drifting club running their cars through a course all day and everyday if you like that sort of thing. The AACA event was handled very well, judges school and breakfast was very good and even though the rain was a problem on Saturday there were some very nice cars on the field to judge. There were a lot of empty spaces though, as I'm sure many owners did not want to bring out their cars in the rain.  I primarily went to see what it was like and to do my part to judge on Saturday, but not sure I'd recommend it to anyone in the future. 

This was one Meet I always thought I would like to attend but never have - usually because a couple of other clubs I am in have regional or national meets in April so hard to make three far away shows in the same month.  Based on what I am reading here though, glad I have skipped it.  I have no desire to go to a show where there are new cars, modified cars, etc. as I can get that any local show any weekend.  I am glad folks enjoyed it and I know the show will continue on without my involvement but this will be one I will mark off of my list of potential shows.

Bob

On 4/7/2018 at 9:20 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

As usual, the Hornets Nest Region did an outstanding job with the Southeastern Spring Meet this year.  They really have this down to a tee--well organized, nice set up, friendly and helpful volunteers, and they always manage to attract a nice selection of cars on the show field.  Kudos to everyone who made it happen!

Unfortunately, the rain impacted the number of vehicles on the show field, but there was a great variety of really nice vehicles.  Thank you all the owners who braved the rain to share their vehicles with all of us and the many spectators who came to Charlotte Auto Fair--it's great publicity for our hobby and our club.

For those who couldn't make it to the Meet, here are some photos.  Try to make it to the Charlotte Meet next year--you'll definitely have fun.

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8482.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8532.JPG

IMG_8555.JPG

IMG_8562.JPG

Mark, Thanks for the pictures. Sorry I missed you. You looked busy the few times I did see you. We had a good time at the event even with the rain. I plan on going again as it's always a fun time. I will make a new post of my photos.

3 hours ago, Durant Mike said:

Got back last night from the event. First time I attended and was very very disappointed. Not at the AACA part, but the rest of the event.  Like Matt said the car corral was a joke for the most part with modern cars for sale, including something like a 2016 Dodge Ram, newer cars you'd see on a corner used car lot. Yes there were some really nice cars, but the should limit the cars to older collector cars and I guess hot rods and modified if they have to.  You had the big vendors there, Coker, National Parts Depot and others, but for the most part very very little pre world war II stuff and for that matter even 50's stuff unless it was aftermarket eldebrock manifolds etc.  They even had some drifting club running their cars through a course all day and everyday if you like that sort of thing. The AACA event was handled very well, judges school and breakfast was very good and even though the rain was a problem on Saturday there were some very nice cars on the field to judge. There were a lot of empty spaces though, as I'm sure many owners did not want to bring out their cars in the rain.  I primarily went to see what it was like and to do my part to judge on Saturday, but not sure I'd recommend it to anyone in the future. 

The corral was like this last year too.  New vehicles mixed in with old.  The corral should be limited to AACA eligible vehicles only.  There is a distinct line between Hershey and Charlotte, with Hershey catering more to the antique and brass folks while Charlotte caters more to the newer stuff.  Both of these annual meets are well run and well attended, it's all a matter of what you're looking for and what you're expecting out of it.

Matt

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MattDoscher said:

The corral was like this last year too.  New vehicles mixed in with old.  The corral should be limited to AACA eligible vehicles only.  There is a distinct line between Hershey and Charlotte, with Hershey catering more to the antique and brass folks while Charlotte caters more to the newer stuff.  Both of these annual meets are well run and well attended, it's all a matter of what you're looking for and what you're expecting out of it.

Matt

I agree, Matt.  All what you are looking for and simply have a good time has always been my approach.

The Fall Hershey meet is different in the sense the Hershey Region of course hosts the "meet" and the Hershey car coral rule of vehicles 25 years old and older is part of the meet sponsorship.  

The Spring meet in Charlotte of course is hosted by the Hornets Nest Region of the AACA as we know.  What I see as different is the Auto Fair and its car coral are possibly separate entities in management.  Looks like the Meet is held in "conjunction" with the Auto Fair thus different rules and what is allowed to participate as far as vendor goods and vehicle year in the coral.

This is just my assumption.  Correction is welcomed.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 1

According to the Autofair website, this meet/market is entirely put on by the Hornet's Nest AACA club, there's no mention of a separate entity.

Most AACA events don't charge admission.  The Autofair does, of course, at least for the inside of the speedway.

I didn't go this year, but do remember past years that there were a lot of new stuff too.

Agree, David.  Have not been there for about 6 years.  I will wait and see if someone in the know responds.  

Regards,

Peter J.

Guest Mark McAlpine
9 hours ago, Bob Hill said:

This was one Meet I always thought I would like to attend but never have - usually because a couple of other clubs I am in have regional or national meets in April so hard to make three far away shows in the same month.  Based on what I am reading here though, glad I have skipped it.  I have no desire to go to a show where there are new cars, modified cars, etc. as I can get that any local show any weekend.  I am glad folks enjoyed it and I know the show will continue on without my involvement but this will be one I will mark off of my list of potential shows.

Bob

Bob, I strongly encourage you to give the Charlotte Meet a try next year.  The new and modified vehicles people are complaining about (understandably so) are in the Car Corral, not on the show field.  The Meet itself usually has between at least 300-400 AACA vehicles and every year somehow attracts some unusual vehicles not seen as most of the other Meets.  It's definitely worth going.  The Swap Meet may have contracted a bit in recent years, but it is still significantly larger than the Swap Meets at almost every other AACA Meet other than Hershey.  And lunch or dinner in the Speedway Club is always great (and better food than you'll find in the Swap Meet).

I suspect many of the newer vehicles in the Car Corral are using the space for convenient parking (because I didn't see "For Sale" signs in most of the newer pickups), which is not that different than the many newer vehicles you see parking throughout the flea market at Hershey each year.  

Guest Mark McAlpine
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, charlier said:

Mark,

Thank you for posting the photos from the car show. In some of the photos it looks like the owners of a few cars are using some of the recalled Kidde Fire Extinguishers that I posted about last fall. Do you know if the AACA judging teams are informing the car owners about the recall when they see potentially recalled extinguishers on the show field? If not, maybe the VP of Class Judging can  have someone make copies of the recall information that can be given to judging teams to hand out to car owners at future AACA events this year who still have/use the recalled extinguishers?? 

Yes, I do realize that the post about the recall was here on the forums for a long while and in the Speedster and elsewhere. Still, it appears that some AACA members missed it.

Charlie

Hello Charlie,

To my knowledge, AACA judging teams are not informing car owners about the Kidde Fire Extinguisher recall, but that's a great suggestion.  The VP of Judging--Jim Elliott--reads the forum and will probably see your post, but he's a pretty busy guy, so I'll forward your suggestion to him.  It's also something we could mention at the Owners Briefing before every meet this year.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Guest Mark McAlpine
8 hours ago, philip roitman said:

Mark, Thanks for the pictures. Sorry I missed you. You looked busy the few times I did see you. We had a good time at the event even with the rain. I plan on going again as it's always a fun time. I will make a new post of my photos.

Hello Phillip,

I'm sorry I missed you, too, but I did see your car (and took some photos of it).  Thanks for not letting the rain scare you off and bringing it out to share with everyone.  And congratulations on the award!

Just wanted to say Thank You to the Hornet's Region for putting on a great show. I really enjoyed it.  Also, thank you to the car owners for bringing their show vehicles out even in the rain. I do not think that the rain dampened either the vehicle owners or the Judges spirits. Thank you to all of you who have posted pictures. I always enjoy seeing them. Looking forward to the Charlotte Meet next year.

• Like 2