EArly 1919 Kissel Model 6-45 Gibraltar seven-passenger Touring

ron hausmann

All -

Here are several pictures of the 1919 Kissel Model 6-45 at my shop in Michigan. Subsequent to the posts above, I purchased the car in Canada and have brought it to the USA last week. It is car number 45-1003 ; the oldest Kissel 6-45 that exists. I have taken off a few trim pieces and have confirmed that it indeed has a "Gibraltar" (ie doubled wood) body which has hollow doors for sliding windows. It was originally sold with two tops, the touring top and windshield now on it, and a carved oak hardtop with sliding windows for winter use. As stated above, only one of these tops of ANY year has survived, since these were often taken off and stored on dirt floors, causing them to rot.

I will get it running soon.

It's now living with its other Kissel siblings!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_8566[12522].JPG

IMG_8557[12490].JPG

IMG_8556[12482].JPG

IMG_8564[12518].JPG

IMG_8567[12530].JPG

574a3a71e93cc_IMG_2047187071.JPG.3a5a26899286658b0ac29c7ae87fe71f.jpg

IMG_8569[12534].JPG

IMG_2748[1699].JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Ron, no fair ! We have painfully few Kissel's in Canada as it is. Couldn't you find a nice lonely Mexican one .  At least it is going to a decent home and it looks like it will be kept company by plenty of brothers and sisters.

Some day it would be nice to own one, but I have a feeling the tremendous demand is going to price them out of my reach. {at least until you stop buying them all}

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Great car.....I love the white tires. Ron, seems like you stuck in a Kissel rut..........I never thought that that was possible. I think it’s great that one person has a passion to save and share such obscure makes. I wouldn’t have thought it possible for one person to acculmate such a great bunch of cars in such a relatively short time. True car people are becoming as rare as a Kissel Kar! Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Hey Ron, no fair ! We have painfully few Kissel's in Canada as it is. Couldn't you find a nice lonely Mexican one .  At least it is going to a decent home and it looks like it will be kept company by plenty of brothers and sisters.

Some day it would be nice to own one, but I have a feeling the tremendous demand is going to price them out of my reach. {at least until you stop buying them all}

Greg in Canada

Greg - There is only one Kissel in Mexico. It's in Puebla, Mexico and is a Kissel 6-45 Gold Bug under restoration after being found decomposing in a field . There still are more Kissels in Canada, Australia, and the USA.

RON

A Gold Bug is probably {definitely} only a dream for me. Even a decomposing one is going to be out of my reach.  The sport touring that is based on the same chassis would perhaps be achievable. I presume Gold bugs are built on a shorter than standard W.B. frame, however the basic chassis must be shared with other Kissel models .  Strangely the Standard Catalog does not list Kissel wheel bases from 1917 to 1926. The exact years I am most interested in.  Your dark green, with red wire wheels sport touring would be ideal. Being in Canada is a real disadvantage. Any U.S. car will cost me nearly double the U.S. price before it is sitting in my driveway and therefore it's just not going to happen..

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

A beautiful new addition to the collection!

Quote:  "It's now living with its other Kissel siblings!"

Ron H, I do hope that poor Chevrolet hasn't had to find a new place to stay?

All kidding aside,  that is a fabulous collection you have. Any pre-'16s in the fold?

Wayne,

I have eight complete Kissels, Models 6-38, 6-45, 6-55, and 8-65, ranging from 1918 to 1927. Nickel-Era stuff.

I also have miscellaneous parts, engines, frames, chassis, from another 6 cars of the same era. Since Kissel made their own engines and bodies, Having this cache' of spare parts, especially complete engines, is priceless to a Kissel guy. The Kissel-made engine blocks 1916-1925 were the same, so interchange of parts works. They only modernized the strokes, bores, and water fittings from model to model.

The 1927 Chevrolet was my car in high school, decades and decades ago, in Wisconsin. I saved it in a garage, unrestored. 15 years ago, after all our kids were gone and married off, I got back into cars and restored it and then started buying and restoring Wisconsin-built Kissels.

Adios. RON HAUSMANN P.E.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:50 PM, ron hausmann said:

Joe,

This is a 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster the same as mine, with the exception of the top. When that car top was replaced, the then-owner didn't like the correct portholes, so he had the new top made without them. That is actually documented on a TV series. All Kissel Gold Bug Model 6-45 Speedsters from 1919 to 1923 are supposed to have portholes. The Model 6-55 Gold Bugs, which have golf club holders instead of suicide seats, didn't have portholes. 

Sorry to bore you all with these details, but incorrect restoration sometimes becomes taken as factual over time. I'm kinda a purist.

Ron Hausmann

autowp.ru_kissel_model_6-45_gold_bug_speedster_1.jpg

In the interest of preserving Kissel history; This is not the Kissel that was featured on the TV show CHASING CLASSIC CARS. In 1994-96 we restored Kissel Gold Bug 6-45 # 1964 for Mr Alfred Kohler, a Swiss citizen who was then Head Communications Officer at the Swiss Embassy in DC. Before we even finished the restoration Fred was transferred to Paris and never actually got to drive the car. We showed it at AACA meets in Gaithersburg MD where it received a First Junior and at Hershey where it took a Senior Award. It was then shipped to the Hartford Heritage Museum in Hartford, Wisconsin where it remained for 12 years or so. It was the Kissel featured on the museum's brochure. It had yellow fenders and splash aprons as well as a yellow frame and rear mounted spare. Upon his retirement Mr Kohler sold the car to Tom Harrington, an American citizen who has lived all his adult life in France. Tom had us retrieve the car from the museum and recommission it. He then had us ship the car to Paris. Tom completed a 600 mile reliability tour across France with the car. Some time later Tom sold the car to Hyman Classic Cars. Hyman displayed it in the car corral at Hershey 2013. He then traded it to Wayne Carinni of CHASING CLASSIC CARS where it was featured on his show. Wayne removed the portholes and replaced the top. He also painted the fenders, splash aprons and headlights black because as he said "it will help the car sell". Wayne eventually sent the car to auction where it brought a World's Record price for a Kissel I believe. The trail grows cold after that. I do not know where the car is now. Mr Harrington went on to have us restore a 1927 Kissel Brougham which took its First Junior in Cumberland MD and its Senior Award at Hershey. It was also nominated for a National Award. While not particularly powerful nor graceful on the road,  you can't beat a Kissel for uniqueness.

Restorer,

Carinni's car was either a 1920 or early 1921, with full running boards and no side mounts. Gold Bugs got "sportier" after that. Later 1921's thru about 1926 were usually side-mounted, had either suicide seats or golf club mounts, and had step plates. There was a 1926 Kissel Gold Bug Model 6-55 which sold for $226,000 including buyer premiums, in California Sotheby's two years ago, I believe. Another 1925 Model 8-75 Kissel Gold bug is currently for sale for $249,000. Good Gold Bugs should fetch amounts north of 200K in my opinion.

Thanks, RON 

Restorer,

Thanks for your keen observation and you are correct.

I just connected the dots and realized that there are indeed TWO Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedsters which were restored WITHOUT the correct portholes;

The Carinni car, a 1920 or 1921 Gold Bug, which you described and which was used in his TV show, and

The car at Hershey pictured in this discussion chain, which is a 1923 Gold Bug.

As stated earlier ALL Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bugs are supposed to have port holes!

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one just listed https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6120-1925-kissel-6-55-gold-bug-speedster/?utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=vehicle_6120

6120.jpg

1925 Kissel 6-55 Gold Bug Speedster

The Kissel Motor Car Company was founded in 1906 by two ambitious young brothers, George and Will Kissel. The Kissel family, who had emigrated from Germany to Wisconsin, gradually expanded their farming operations to include groceries, hardware, lumber and homebuilding among other businesses. The family’s generous wealth certainly aided in Will and George’s enthusiastic plans to build an automobile. The first prototype was quite advanced; a shaft-driven, four-cylinder runabout built in 1905. By 1907 production of the “Kissel-Kar” was underway, using Beaver engines and bodies supplied by the Zimmerman Brothers, sleigh builders from up the road in Waupun, Wisconsin. Soon, the Kissel brothers were producing a car entirely of their own manufacture, and orders from distributors came pouring in. The Kissel was known for being high on quality, value and performance – as well as for its clever features such as the “all year top” which was in essence the first removable hard top. Kissels grew more complex and luxurious, with a twelve cylinder “Double Six” eventually joining the lineup.

Following a lull in sales in the immediate postwar years, things picked up for Kissel and they transitioned into the roaring twenties with a range of sporty, high quality cars. In 1919, Kissel introduced its most famous model – the “Gold Bug” Speedster. This sporty two seat roadster featured six-cylinder engines of Kissel’s own manufacture mated to a low-slung body with cycle fenders and no running boards that gave the appearance of a racer for the road. The flamboyant and stylish Gold Bug proved to be very popular with some of the biggest names of the time – Emelia Earhart, Fatty Arbuckle, Ralph DePalma, Greta Garbo and Al Jolson were all counted among the roster of Kissel Gold Bug owners. Numerous running changes were made through production, with the powerful 6-55 engine appearing in 1923, and a Lycoming-derived eight appearing two years later. Today, just a handful of Gold Bugs survive, each a rolling homage to the glamorous and exiting Jazz Age.

Our featured Kissel 6-55 Gold Bug Speedster is a fabulous example with well-known history from new; one of just a handful of survivors from this esoteric marque. This particular Gold Bug was originally purchased by Edwin Johnson of Crystal Falls, Michigan. Mr. Johnson was one of three brothers, all of which owned Kissels, though it was Edwin who chose the sportiest model. In 1925, Edwin, along with his brother Emil, collected his new car directly from the Kissel factory in Hartford, Wisconsin. The base 6-55 cost $1,795 to which Johnson specified a number of options including four wheel hydraulic brakes, wire wheels, Clymer pistol-grip spot lights, twin spares, wind-wings, and many other items to bring the price to a not-insignificant $2,305. The available rumble seat was eschewed by Edwin Johnson in favor of the sportier dual compartment turtleback trunk. Edwin Johnson was clearly quite fond of his Gold Bug, as he kept it for the next twenty-seven years.

Edwin Johnson reportedly sold the car in 1952 to a local car dealer for $200. The following year, it was purchased by Lawrence Wescott, also of Crystal Falls. In 1954, it was passed to Carl Arthur Johnson of Wabeno, Wisconsin who owned it through 1976. From 1976-1984 the Kissel was owned by Mrs. Mary Gillou before it joined the famous Imperial Palace collection from 1984-1988. After one additional short-term owner, it was purchased by the famed automotive artist and sculptor Stanley Wanlass in 1991. Finally, in 1994, the Kissel became a prized member of the most recent owner’s collection, who would commission the comprehensive, concours- quality restoration it wears today.

Presented in a handsome color scheme of cream with forest green fenders, chassis, and leather interior, this Kissel 6-55 Gold Bug Speedster remains in very fine condition today, having been well maintained as part of a larger collection of important motorcars. It retains its myriad original accessories which include those amazing Clymer pistol-grip spot lights that mount through the windscreen, original windwings, Moto-Meter, dual sidemount spares, wire wheels, and a pair of period correct golf bags with matching wooden-shaft T. Stewart clubs mounted in their signature rear-fender holsters. The unique soft top, in quality tan canvas, folds neatly behind the seats in a low-slung position, and a pair of matching side curtains is included for all-weather touring capability.

Mechanically, this Gold Bug is in fine running order, though limited use in recent years may require some minor maintenance. The 55-horsepower Kissel six-cylinder engine is beautifully detailed in black with correct nickel hardware and fittings. The engine still wears an original-type Stromberg carburetor which is supplemented by the optional Stewart Vacuum Gasoline System to ensure a steady flow of fuel at high speed.

Since the restoration, this Gold Bug was shown extensively by its enthusiastic owner at prestigious events such as the Meadowbrook Concours, the 1997 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, as well as numerous AACA and CCCA National and Grand National events. As a testament to the quality of the restoration and its care, this Kissel has continued to win awards well after the restoration, with an Award of Distinction at the Glenmoor Gathering coming in 2010. The restoration has mellowed slightly though it remains still very attractive, and the car would certainly be welcome in regional concours or CCCA and AACA events.

This delightfully sporty and distinctive motorcar is an outstanding example from this seldom seen marque. Recognized as a CCCA Full Classic and beautifully presented in attractive colors, this Kissel 6-55 Gold Bug is a wonderful example that is prime for enjoyment on the road, on a concours field, or for runs to the country club.

$189,500

Stock number 6120

For immediate assistance please call us at +1-314-524-6000 or please fill out the following form and a member of our team will contact you.
Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)