1960 Thunderbird

Waxy70

I am interested in purchasing my first collector car as a driver for local short jaunts around town. A 1960 Thunderbird. listed online at Streetside Classics around Phoenix Arazona. Pictures available at Streetside Classics. Diamond Blue color with all new interior. Newer drive train, power streeing, windows and brakes. 18 inch Boyds wheels. replaced 352 with a 390. Had factory air but no components are under hood, Just the original dash controls. Paint may be original and has some blemishes and a mismatched drivers door very obviously displayed in the photos and probably painted off the car and does not match. I can have the door and side painted to match locally for about a grand. About $1100.00 to ship open carrier to Florida. They are asking 18,995. When I spoke to Robin Lane of Streetside Classics he stated that it is a great open road running vehicle and is mechanically sound. Is this a good deal and if not what should I offer or should I keep looking for other 1960 Birds?

Well, if I had the 'itch' and the only way to scratch it was with a 1960 T-Bird, I would certainly look around and not jump at the first one I see.  More importantly, I wouldn't buy anything without either looking at it myself, or at least have someone I trust do it for me.  I'd recommend visiting the Ford Thunderbird forum:

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/117-ford-thunderbird/

Ask your questions there, or try other T-Bird owner websites.  Time spent researching the things to look out for with these particular cars will pay dividends later and you'll have a much better chance of being satisfied with your purchase -- especially if you have never owned one of these before.

• Like 1

1959_ford_thunderbird-pic-21228211856098

1959 Ford Thunderbird - $15,500

Factory Original Paint. Original Weatherstripping Is Holding Up Very Well. Solid Clean Uni-body Floor Sections, With No Rust Issues Or Corrosion. Updated Exhaust System Excellent Running And Smooth Ford 352 cid With 4 Barrel Carburetor, Rated At 300 HP Smooth Shifting Automatic Transmission With Column Shift Effortless Power Steering Stock AM Push Button Factory Radio Day And Night Mirror 140 MPH Speedometer, Showing 94,xxx Miles Factory Gauges With Clock Drivers Side Rear View Mirror Windshield Washer System Padded Dash Repainted In Stock Factory Color Of Glacier Green Code G, Stock Original Factory Interior In Green And White Vinyl Bucket Seat Interior Stock Factory Center Console Rolling On Stock Bias Ply White Wall Tires With Stock Full Wheel Hubcaps Rear Fender Skirts Original Spare Tire With Jack

Here is the link for this one btw - http://mcecars.com/vehicles/583/1959-ford-thunderbird

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Waxy,

$19,000 for a 58-60 T-Bird in need of as much restorative work as that car needs is outrageously high. A/C replacement can be one of the most expensive systems to re-do on your car.

Quick check on Craigslist for Los Angeles and surrounding areas (which includes Vegas) shows a dozen currently available '58-'60 T-Birds in various conditions. With a low price of $4,500 and a dealer high price of 13,700 for a pretty nice example. I think your dealer is fishing for an inexperienced buyer. Be careful.

(and the mags are not a plus)

Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

The posts above are very good  and you should consider them carefully.  I don't know exactly what you want in a car but look at what else is available out there.  You have pointed out the most obvious price changers.  Wrong engine, non-working AC, bad paint match on the door and incorrect wheels and tires.  I don't see any value ,added items here.  NADA shows average retail at $18,700.  

I see a lot of these cars in the low teens in very nice shape.  I even think there was an original paint on one here that was very nice not long ago that sold and was in the 15G range.  

As mentioned,  there are a lot of these square bird out there.  I bought a pretty nice convertible for 18G.  Red white top,  read and white interior with really nice chrome,  all new top tires paint and interior.  Looked really nice had very minimal body work.  It was actually a pretty nice car,  but I had too many cars and it ended up in a storage unit for a couple of months,  then I decided it was time to go, instead of pay storage. Someone needed it more than me,  so it made for an easy decision.  Mine was a 59.  58's have a different 1 year suspension.  I believe 60 has a more complicated all power top with more solenoids than the 59 and back.  Mine worked well.  

• Like 2

Also look carefully for rust.  A friend of mine had one in HS, his dad filled rockers with bondo, otherwise a nice enough car and different around 1980.  I believe he had a 59.  Didn't know about suspension differences until now, but I do know from experience  you could melt the rear tires with ease if one wanted to. ?

11 hours ago, GregLaR said:

$19,000 for a 58-60 T-Bird in need of as much restorative work as that car needs is outrageously high.

I think your dealer is fishing for an inexperienced buyer. Be careful. (and the mags are not a plus) Greg

I agree with Greg, this is a car looks to me like it has been "messed with" just to shove it out the door and sell, a very common trap for first timers.  Why is the original engine missing?  It was cheaper and easier to shove in a replacement under the guise of an "upgrade".  Why the wheels and tires?  A flashy "upgrade" and selling point that conveniently means they did not have to mess with old wheels and 14" tires.  It is possible the air conditioning is also incomplete because the mechanic did not want to mess with it BUT it may also not actually be an air conditioned car--these have a heater control that looks like it has an A/C function but it does not, if there is a large chrome vent above the radio it is an air conditioned car and if not it is actually heater only, see photos.

I would not buy this car (or most others) long distance sight unseen, too much $$ and too many red flags, there are others available, Todd C 

4059497956_d24bb068f3_b.jpg

untitled.png

• Like 1

Being very candid - I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole.  Anyone who would let that out the door with that mismatch on the driver's door paint is certainly to be questioned.  What else did they think "that's good enough"?  Just glance at the previous posts showing other "Square Birds" and you'll find much cleaner cars.  I must admit I'm all about originality, although if done well, a custom can be attractive - just not this one.  Both the white and other light-blue birds posted later appear to be much, much better deals.  

Also, there are many nice original late '50s and early '60s coming to market due to the aging of the population. We see it in our 1954 Ford Club of America.  Take your time, research, research, research.  It's so easy to fall in love with something and not have a clear head in making a decision.  

Note:  I too agree that the Thunderbird shown in post #7 appears to be twice the car for $3000 or so less.  

Edited by AJFord54 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you could look at the car, take the time to ask about it on a forum, and wait a few days to decide, it is probably not the car for you. You need to wait for the one that drives you nuts because you can't buy it quick enough.

Whatever you pay for a collector car is just the "entry fee". Buy on pure Adrenalin only. Then you will love it even when it's broken.

I like those Square Birds, but that one is a little too pastel for me, girl's car. ***sy blue.

Bernie

Someone probably backed up with the door open at some point and bent it,  Thus a good reason to repaint only it, or it's a replacement from another car because the original got badly damaged,  but seems the there would be other paint work in the surrounding area unless someone backed into the door with just enough angle to miss the 1/4 and front fender.  Either way,   I would pass.  With the amount of square birds out there you will find a nice one and probably cheaper.