Brad in Wisconsin

'20s ignition coil, what is it for?

i don't know much about coils, but it looks very similar to the coil in the engine compartment picture in the Kissel post in General Discussion.

• Like 1

All -

This looks like a coil that's in a '20s Kissel. If it has a small number 284 on it, it definitely would work. Please check. If it does, I might want to buy it.

Thanks,

Ron

Is it a Delco ? If not what make is it ?  284 sounds like it could be a Delco #.  Ron are 284's unique to Kissel's or were they used on other application's as well ?  I have several Delco coils from this time period but most are the "mail box" style used by Buick and others. But I think I have a few of the upright mounting ones as well. As well a number of company's made replacement units that will work fine if total authenticity is not important, but they will have different Names /  I.D. numbers. I should dig out some of my ignition parts catalogs from the 20's .

Greg in Canada 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Just dug out my ignition catalogs, Kissel is listed as using Remy equipment 1922-29 , Delco - Remy part way in 1929 and later. Unfortunately my 1931 Echlin {Bear Brand} catalog does not list coils. My 1940 P&D catalog lists a coil for Kissel 1926-31 but it is just a universal mount substitute that they recommend for several cars from this time period , not an exact replacement.  I have a catalog somewhere  that does list all the early ign. coils but I don't know where it is at the moment. 

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Greg,

Classic Kissels 1921-1929-ish were Remy. Says so in the parts manual. Model 284 B Coils are correct I believe, but any Model 284 coil seems to look identical to me. These mount on the firewall of a Kissel 6-45 and 6-55 engine bay. I'm sorry but I don't know if these were unique to Kissels or used by others.

Thanks, RON

1923 Kissel Brougham Sedan engine 7-16-13.jpg

Makes sense it is a Remy coil, Chevy and Kissel both use Remy equipment. Unfortunately my catalogs don't cover Remy equipment very well.  Most of the Remy coil listings are covered with a universal fit unit. It's just a generic coil with a additional upright mount bracket clamped on.  A Remy catalog would no doubt have more detailed information however I don't have one. 

Greg

All,

Below is a picture of page 362 of my old lighting and ignition parts manual. It's indispensable! It covers Remy coils between 1914- 23. The Remy coil 284, in various alphabetic styles, was used on many cars.

Again, Brad, if its a Remy 284 coil and appears solid, I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks,

Ron

IMG_4519.JPG

Hi Ron,

That is the sort of catalog that is most helpful. The ones I have are a bit newer (1932 era) and cover most ignition parts in similar detail however Remy seems to be a secondary manufacturer by then and coverage of the coils is not very detailed.

Is that a Remy factory catalog or one of the broad coverage aftermarket catalogs like I have? Echlin, GP, P&D, etc.?

Greg in Canada

Type 284L coils, like the one shown, were used on 490 and FA, FB,  T and Superior Chevrolet from 1917.

Jim

Dear 1912staver -

The page comes from an old "Everyman's Electrical Manual" that I found. Covers my type cars 1916-23.

Ron

Thanks, Ron.

I need to keep my eye open for some early coil ignition catalogs at the swap meets this year. I have the Delco manual for my 1918 Buick (very complete but covers these cars only) and a few others covering the early coil ignition set-ups but they are not very comprehensive. Just fast moving parts guides.

Greg