Tom Devoe

Priming an engine after long slumber

Auto Addicts - I'm trying to get oil pressure in my 31 Stude 6 after years of sitting. Fresh oil is in, and I've cranked it several times. The engine spins nicely with no bad noises or grinding. I'm not getting oil pressure yet. I disconnected the oil filter and I'm waiting to see some come out the tube, but none yet. I feel I should prime the oil pump. I've poured some oil down the distributor hole in the hope that some will make it to the pump. Is this a good way to prime it? Should I remove the pump? I really don't want to disturb the engine too much yet, just get it running and see how it sounds. Do I need to crank it way more than I've done to see pressure?

I'm not familiar with these really early Studebaker engines, so some of those who are will probably speak up.

But one thought would be to fill it up thru the oil galleys (gallerys?). Usually there will be several oil galleys that will have pipe plugs in them, or maybe a gauge or external partial flow oil filter will be connected up to one. You can use one of those small pumps make for transferring oil from plastic bottles to rear ends, etc -- pump the oil into the galley. Or, if you have some sort of small pump you could do the same thing.

The shop manual may have a diagram of the oil passages, and you may be able to determine the best place to fill to get the oil down to the oil pump.

But.....I bet another early Studebaker owner will chime in with a more specific procedure or recommendation.

I would think pouring oil in the distributor orifice is akin to simply pouring it in the crankcase.

R1lark - brilliant! I have one of those gear oil hand pumps within 3 feet of the car. Took off the tee, and back fed oil into the gallery till I heard it draining into the sump, and now the gauge is reading 10lbs cranking with the starter. Thank you!

Glad it worked out Tom! As my wife says, a stopped clock is right twice a day (wonder why she looks at me when she says that?? :o).