MWilson

1920 Dodge Brothers Touring

The black canister is a vacuum tank. Using vacuum from the engine, gasoline is drawn from the fuel tank in the rear of the car to the canister where gravity pulls gas into the carburetor. When properly maintained, the system works well. Without an inspection of the car I can't comment on the fuel starvation. Zeke

I have an in-line fuel filter on mine (a '25) and it's normally only 1/2 full, so I doubt it is the problem.  I don't believe a '20 is much different as far as power and gearing go and so I would expect it should get up to 40 mph pretty easily.  I can drive on level roads comfortably at 40 - 45 mph (and the speedo is fairly accurate).   It could be fuel starvation but I think it is less likely to be caused by the vacuum tank.  I say this because the vacuum tank pulls fuel up to the vacuum tank reservoir (contained within the tank) and then gravity feeds to the carb.  If flow was restricted here, I would expect a stalling problem; if fuel demand exceeds the supply, the fuel bowl in carb would eventually empty.  As such, I would tend to think the carb more likely has a problem if it truly is fuel starvation.  It think it could be other things, such as static timing being off.  The engine will be down on power if timing is incorrect (retarded).  The MIM has instructions for setting static timing.

Ok I bought all the books I can find but still a simple question is unanswered. How do I change a headlamp bulb?  

Carefully push in with both hands on the chrome/nickel headlight bezel. The bezel has 3 hooks on the inside that secure the ring, lense and headlight bucket. The lense will try to drop out and crash on the ground, so take your time when pulling off the bezel. The bulb and reflector will come out as a unit.

Push and then carefully rotate the bezel CCW a few degrees to disengage the hooks.