1942 DeSoto with overdrive

I have a "new" 1942 DeSoto.  It has the simplimatic---fluid drive with the 4-speed semi-automatic transmission.   It also has over-drive (!!).  Does anyone else out there have this unusual combination?  Could you have ordered this from the factory in the 1940s?

Can you post a pic of this transmission...I have seen only one... very rare... but it was a 1951-53 M-6 with OD on the back of it. It sold on E-bay a couple years ago.

1942 DeSoto's (say the S10) used the M4 transmissions....using either diaphram type (early) or piston type shift mechanisms.

MoToR's Manual says these units are the same as the Chrysler Vacamatic and Hydraulically Controlled Transmission.

Based on the parts diagram, it looks like a transmission with an overdrive in it. Up to 1941 the o/d was an extra box on the back of the gearbox.

I have posted this before - the MoToR's section on the Vacamatic. If you want I can post the parts diagram from the De Soto section. It clearly shows the OD with the centrifugal clutch system at the back.

Chrysler1941-Transmission-MoToR.pdf

The "Hydraulically Operated" 1946-48 Chrysler/DeSoto transmission .....AKA the M-5  is upshifted using transmission oil pressure where as the..

"Vacamatic" 1941-42 Chrysler and the 1941-42 DeSoto "Simplimatic" AKA M-4 transmission are up shifted by a vacuum controls.

Two different transmissions.

The big 1941-42 chrysler straight eight cars used the overdrive transmission I believe. Not 100% sure on the eights though... pretty rare cars..

The Hollander 1952 confuses me because I don't know about it. They give a Std Trans for 40-51 but no Std trans for '42 De Soto with OD and fluid drive. The other alternative is '41-42 "Underdrive" or "semi-auto trans.". This trans was used in Chrysler C28, C37 (not 7 pass.) in the same years but not Dodge or Plymouth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 1942 S10 "Blackout" 4door-sedan. The build sheet doesn't indicate the transmission installed, only that the rear-end is 3.5/1. This is what the parts book says is for the underdrive. The standard ratio was 3.9/1. The car was last used in Cheyenne, WY, where I got it, as a taxi. It now has a standard transmission and clutch - no fluid drive. Probably replaced at least once over it's lifetime.

`

The paint code was 611 This is Regal Maroon. The "Blackout" moldings where painted 'Ash Gray" and the stripping on the moldings was painted "Havana Red". The wheel rim was "Regal Maroon' and hubcap was  'Havana Red'. The interior trim code was was 155 (penciled in) which isn't included in Sept 1941 parts book. The car had the 'Group 1', 'Group 2' and RW. Shields as factory installed options. It came off the line on Jan 20, 1942. and was the 938th 'BO" produced. The last 'BO" came off the line 10 days later on Jan 30th according to its build record.

I remember a conversation with Ray Reis (owner of the red 5th Avenue convertible) in which he told me that on the 42 Chrysler 8 Vacumatic, it was discovered that by removing a 'blocking bar?' it was possible to have four speeds in reverse!. Anybody else hear of this?

Ed K

• 1 year later...