1925 Locomobile Junior 8 For Sale

jeff_a

This car didn't have a bid the first go around on EBAY.  It is listed again with a few bids (top about $5000) and still under the reserve.  If you are interested in this car, you still have 5 days to chew on it and bid it to get over the reserve.  Some aspects of the car could possibly be salvaged as is to preserve it in "survivor" status.  Has anyone here ever driven one of these smaller 8 cylinder Locomobiles?  If you have please tell us how they behave and compare to a 48 Locomobile.

Al

From the i.d tag of this car it is a 1925 locomobile jr. The jr. is much more nimble then the model 48. The car has a 66 hp motor and drive quite nice. It has more get up and go  then most of the era. Model 48 are a handful until you get up to speed then, they drive very nice.

lo260106.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just verified the status of this Locomobile.  The owner in Calif. has it relisted on EBAY again.  Currently, it has 11 bids, top being $3,350. and about 6 days left to go.  No the reserve has not been reached yet.  If you want the car, keep after it.  This car represents a late model Locomobile  to the enthusiast, and could be a very good option for ownership.   I sure hope this Locomobile  goes to a good home. 

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Interest must be a bit off for this later closed model Locomobile.  But surely the last minute will change things on the bids.  Currently this car has 4 days and the bid is at $5,000.  That engine is a nice clean OHV type very similar to the "Little" Marmon.  Marmon's companion car to their big line.  Same for this small series Locomobile which is the companion to the big Locomobile.

Al

Al,

If I could afford a 20 x 60 Butler building and could get a job with a $20,000/year salary, I'd buy it, but am not in a financial position to do so. I did have a lottery win back in March, but it was ten dollars. In my opinion, there is a lot of intrinsic value to the 1925 Locomobile Sedan, compared to a Ford or Chevrolet. Which is more of a page out of automotive history(unless you have Thomas Edison's Model "A" Ford, or one of Louie Chevrolet's 1912 Classic Sixes)? Maybe in Bridgeport, Connecticut you can go to a show and there's a whole row of Locomobiles....but not anywhere I've lived. Just can't see why someone would pay 50 Grand for the big rental car when I was a teenager, a Chevelle, and not 5 or 10 Grand for this.

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Jeff,  Has spring started to kick in for you in Salmon?  I understand fully about the money and storage thing.  I never have enough of either so I force myself to focus.  That works some of the time.  For now, I am seriously focused on the '09 Locomobile.  What are you working on?  It must start with a "P".

Al

You're right on the various cars whose 1st letter is P.  My collection goal is to have a '28 Peerless, '28 Pierce-Arrow, and a '28 Packard: all sixes. I have snow all around me in the Beaverheads, but not quite spring here in Salmon River Country. Not enough snow, except for 5 days, to cross-country ski here this winter, though I was skiing in MT November 1st and snowshoed in February 30 miles north.

• Like 1

Update on the Locomobile Junior 8.  Three days of bidding fun left and the bid has stalled at $5,000.  Thirteen bids have been placed.  This car does have some great potential for the right collector/restorer.  The better option, in my thinking, is to find a new owner that can complete most of the grunt work of restoration himself and keep from getting TERRIBLY top heavy in restoration costs.  More updates later

Al

Just in case someone was undecided about getting this...and wished some spares were available...I noticed today when you go to parts on ebay motors someone has:

• a NOS timing chain for a 1926 Locomobile Junior 8
  • a wood-spoked rim, wheel, and  6 x 20 tire for a " " " " 
  • a  wood steering wheel a " " " "

I did not say they were cheap, but these '26 Locomobile parts deals I suspect are once in a blue moon. "mrbubblessupplycheap", I think, is the source of these in Kenvil, NJ.

....I also saw an owners's manual stating  that displacement is 198.9 Cu. In., and the 8 has 25.3 SAE h.p.(that's a tax rating, not produced h.p.); a refurbished "Locomobile" script emblem; plus a postcard of General Pershing's 1918 Locomobile staff car that went into the Smithsonian in 1928 -- the big sedan with wire wheels and a vee windshield modified when Pershing found the flat windshields cracked up around 100 m.p.h.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Latest EBAY update, 14 bids at $5100.  It appears that 6 fellows are looking at the car.  If you are thinking of this car, a good support group exists within the Durant Club.  They cover all the cars that were under the ownership of Billy Durant when he was making his power play (if I am correct).  Time is ticking if you are after a rare piece of restorable automobile history, this Locomobile is it.

Al

Al,

I keep looking at this Locomobile. In my mind its a fantastic survivor and would be worthy of a sensitive restoration (enhanced oily rag perhaps?)  Would it be worth dropping big bucks for a

professional restoration? No. But, it sure makes sense if your a skilled do-it-your-selfer.

Alas, it will have to remain a dream for me. Hopefully it will find a good home.

• Like 1

2-1/2 hours left to bid.  17 current bid and has not yet hit the sell reserve price.  Maybe we are see a real sense of the market here....or are we.  The last couple of minutes will be the final story for who is watching, who is bidding and the current EBAY market.

Al

• Like 1

Here is a summary of the three attempts to sell this Locomobile on EBAY auctions.

1- buy it now at $25,000. no bids

2- did not hit the reserve, high bid $15,590.

3- did not hit the reserve, high bid $10,605. 23 bids total

Does anyone know if this Locomobile is listed for sale on other venues? And if it is listed, what has been transpiring?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

As of April 24, it is on a 16 day old listing, Los Angeles C.L. $20,000. 20-some pics. Very shabby interior. The top must be totally shot, with everything that implies for the structural wood. Ugh!!! !  Too bad. If it were a usable interior, it just might have been worth the $10 - $15,000 it may have been bid up to on the bay. Could this sad neglected Loco bring that kind of money ? To whom, and why?     -  ?    Carl 

• Like 1

Hello C Carl,  Thanks for taking the time to look, evaluate and post an update here.  The Locomobile Junior 8 is more car than the downscale Little Marmon 8 and on par with the Pierce-Arrow attempt with the smaller 80 and 81.  The first LaSalle cars were really quite nice and had very pleasing lines.  The 6 cylinder or small Packard, I do not know much about or the smaller Peerless.  Please post again if you see or learn of the disposition of this Locomobile Junior 8.

Al

This is the locomobile I tried to buy it 3 years ago in southern California. Yes I have a similar model locomobile. The motor for the locomobile 8-66 is Durants own development. The ohv 66 hp motor was a very solid motor. This model later became a Locomobile 8-70 and the motor was replaced.

DSC_0534 (1)-2.JPG

DSC_0533 (1)-2.JPG

Thanks for your time to post a response.  Would you be willing to start a new thread named after your Model of Locomobile and share some pictures, facts and trivia regarding your vintage Locomobile as well as any good information about the Locomobile Company during the Durant age?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did this Locomobile Junior 8 find a new home with the last EBAY auction.  I was out of town and away from computer so I never did see the final results.  This project car is still very good compared to some of the cars that I have seen fellows working on....including ME!

Al

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I see in the Automobiles For Sale section, in the AACA forums, that a decent cousin to the Locomobile Junior 8 is for sale.  The car is a later series Durant three window coupe.  Someone should take a serious look at that car and bring it back to life.  If you know and are interested in Durant era Locomobiles and the other offerings from the Durant automobile conglomerate.  Take a moment and share your thoughts on this coupe.

Al

• Like 1

• 5 months later...