How do you get the young Kids involved in the car hobby..

nick8086

You must have a local scrap yard that would spot him one? 

If not I have a nice Motorcraft 2150 he can have.  Send it back to me when he is done I will let you know how it works.  The 2150 Ford used an almost everything in the 70's 80's and 90's.  Should be able to pick up one on ebay under $50.   Hope they show them how to use an ultrasonic cleaner, best invention ever for carbs.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Ahh...The 7 circuits of a carburetor. I remember studying it in trade school. Good knowledge for this old car lover. 

Trade school??  What's that??

Oh yeah, it was that valuable course work once available in schools that allowed an individual to apply themselves productively and recreationally.  I'm glad I got in on that stuff, I'm sorry today's generation has no exposure.

• Like 3

I'm sorry today's generation has no exposure.  He is only 18 - he just needs a donor part..

Yes today's generation  has no clue about a carb.. It has a lot of parts..   Here is a kaiser post..

Are the parts physically interchangeable.....yes. Does not mean that they are the correct part(s) for the carb...... NO. For example I believe that there are no fewer than 4 different accelerator pumps for the YF carb that vary in shaft height and where that groove is on the shaft for spring keeper. There are also several different needle and seat combinations. The standard rebuild kit that most people sell for the Darrin contains a needle that is too tall. You can you make it work by bending the tab on the float to get the correct height, but run the risk of having the needle get ******eyed in the housing it travels in and when the float is all the way down it can jam, therefore not seating properly and causing the engine to flood. There are also several different jet and metering rod combinations. Bottom line is that when multiple different carburetors have been used to create one, you have to be very careful to make sure that it will work properly. I have been there and done that!

The bases can be changed out (I did not say they couldn't), but the one you show is for a 4-cylinder engine. There is a reason that Carter made bases with different throat diameter. The 630 base you show on your carb will fit and work, but not correctly. It has a smaller throat and therefore will restrict the amount of air that can flow through it.

The top of the carb is another thing. If is not made to mate with the bottom part (i.e. the air/fuel passageways) then it will not work. Also have been there and done that.

Making it work for a car you can not find parts for..

Most shops do not have the old books. That is what happen here.. 

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:39 AM, nick8086 said:

I'm sorry today's generation has no exposure.  He is only 18 - he just needs a donor part..

Yes today's generation  has no clue about a carb.. It has a lot of parts..   .. 

Not always true.  My son is 17 and can work on a carb.  He will also be going to college next year for a 4 year auto tech degree.

One answer to the question in the Subject.  Give them a classic car to drive/  My son drives a '65 Cadillac Eldorado to HS.  He has replaced the Carb, water pump, and power steering pump.  I also let him take the '97 Cadillac and a Dodge Ram truck, besides his daily driver, a Ford 500.  

• Thanks 2

My 19 year old is interested in the vintage car hobby.  He takes out my '53 Chrysler at every opportunity. He's a car guy. I took him to my Vintage Car Club meet a couple of weeks ago and he had a ton of fun talking with the members. Mostly Silver hair retirees of course, but they had lots of great cars and stories to tell. The club's easter parade is April 1. I volunteered the drive a vintage car that belongs to the club. My son will drive my '53 car in the parade. He's pretty pumped. I have been reeling him in. I think its working. He's in University full time currently so his own vintage car is not on the radar these days.  The trouble I am finding, is getting him out to the garage when I am repairing or maintaining the old car. He shows little interest in that part of ownership. I have been teaching him how to maintain his modern car, and he's got that under control. Brakes. Oil changes. Tire swaps. Etc...Keeping my fingers crossed he dives into vintage eventually. I think he will.

I figured this is as good a thread as any...

i just joined up to up to look around and maybe get some advice, I’m 18 and eyeballing a 1966 Oldsmobile dynamic as a project car, I DONT want to turn it into a rat rod or anything but again lookin for some advice on how to get started with parts etc would be nice before I take the dive and buy it. Any tips on places to get said parts or other resources? I’m talking about a restore job in the long term, but I just want to get it running right now

Edited by Gmoney2123
Clarification on vehicle etc (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A 66 Dynamic 88 is a perfectly good starting point. Most of the parts necessary to keep it running / safely driving are easily available from either your local parts vendor or many internet sources. It's a pre- emissions control { 1966 cars sold in California had early gen. emission control equipt. but it is pretty easy to understand unlike the early 70's systems}.  Body parts and trim are probably going to quite a bit harder to find.  I doubt much that is specific to Dynamic 88's has been reproduced so it is a case of hunting for decent used parts. 

They are not particularly desirable cars unless a convertible so be choosy. Avoid cars that have body, trim or interior problems, getting the car into decent condition will be of significant cost with no real upside should you choose to sell it in the future. And if you plan to drive it a lot, bear in mind it's a large , heavy car . And it was built for regular use when gas was much cheaper than today.

If at all possible take it { or a similar car} for a drive in the sort of traffic you will generally encounter. Make sure a Dynamic 88 is really a car you want to invest time and $ in to.  As I said previously they are big, heavy cars. Not quite a Cadillac Coupe de Ville but big none the less. In traffic or when trying to fit into a shopping center parking stall it might seem you are at the helm of a ocean liner.

Greg in Canada

Okay, thank you for the advice on that front.

TBH I want it more as a show of my skills and as a learning opportunity. I wasn’t aware they were boat-like as far as size and handling, but I don’t think it would be too much of an issue.

as far as gas etc goes I also am not even sure if the engine runs, apparently it’s sat for 15yrs and isn’t that pretty looking at the pics.

your warning about the interior work might be cause for concern, the below are the only pics available and the one of the interior doesn’t inspire confidence in the quality, neither does the engine bay for that matter but if I come pick it up I want to try and turn the crank, if it moves pretty easy great. If it sticks I might see if I can negotiate the price down (I plan to anyway but extra reason would be nice.)

I've never gotten a clear explanation on whether or not you can rebuild a stuck engine... but if I can rebuild it, great, if not I might do some kind of engine swap until I can get a replica crate engine or something.

C6692B24-56DB-4692-95F7-0CB6F9ACC595.jpeg

BCC8405E-ACA2-4F34-8D75-44FC9DF42C7E.jpeg

0AFB09D6-64CF-4E4E-8923-493455281D92.jpeg

482323F3-6C01-439A-9AC8-4AF869F4DF45.jpeg

55B6CA6E-14B5-4F46-8C73-6A5AEE47ADA4.jpeg

Edited by Gmoney2123
Further thoughts on engine (see edit history)

Sadly in my opinion this car is little more than a parts car.  I would recommend you start with a car that is either a more desirable model , or a more popular model { much better parts availability} , or in quite a bit better condition. Or all three. Spend a reasonable amount of time looking ; and as I said before , be choosy . There are many decent starting point 1960's / 70's cars out there. And plenty at a reasonable price. You might have to travel a bit depending on where you live, but at you age it can be a bit of an adventure. And perhaps be prepared to spend a bit more initially, the Olds you have shown will soak up plenty of cash and time before it is roadworthy better to save a little longer and buy a car you will treasure rather than regret.

Keep us posted. You will find most of us are very encouraging toward younger people who desire an older/ vintage car.

Greg in Canada 

• Like 2

If your interest is in bringing a tired car back to its youthful vigor, you want something that's pretty complete, or you'll be in over your head moneywise if not skillwise really quickly.  Many folks here advise buying a really nicely preserved car and enjoying driving and maintaining it.  There is a 70-ish-year-old lady near me who has a 1986 (I think) Oldsmobile she bought new and has maintained very well.  She recently bought a new SUV, because she now has a Russian wolfhound she schleps around to dog shows.  The Olds is for sale.  It's a lovely original car.  I don't know how much she wants, and I have no stake in the car.  If you might be interested, send me a private message and I'll put you in touch.

And, by the way, welcome to the hobby!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

5 hours ago, Gmoney2123 said:

okay! Thanks very much again for the advice, I will keep on the lookout for something better then.

Welcome to the forum!  You should start seeing many cars for sale soon, especially on Craigslist as many start listing during Spring Fever :)  A 1960s car would be a good choice as a first project!  My 18 yr old son says 60's easier than some of our other vehicles.  

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, ChazA said:

You should start seeing many cars for sale soon, especially on Craigslist as many start listing during Spring Fever :)

Cool! Hopefully I can find something within my operating budget.

44 minutes ago, ChazA said:

A 1960s car would be a good choice as a first project!  My 18 yr old son says 60's easier than some of our other vehicles.  

Good! I like the styles of the 60’s cars, glad to hear it’s an easier decade to work on, I want something challenging but I also don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.

• Like 1

Hey Gmoney.......you're starting off with the right attitude........ :) .......and being in Missouri I think your chances of finding a 60's car that  isn't a rust bucket are pretty good too.

If you aren't power hungry you can't beat a straight 6 for ease of working on and, depending which one, they can be pretty peppy too....... B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...