Benefits of AACA Membership.

Finished the other side of the scuttle and the lower part of the quarter panel.  That's all of the patching that needs to be done.  I still need a LOT more practice but I can at least get a solid fusion joint that doesn't take too much effort to get smooth.  I need to file down the quarter panel and then go back over all the panels and make sure they are ready for epoxy primer and then 2K primer.

IMG_7123.thumb.jpg.c0e16bca209af41d4bd22843db5c88de.jpgIMG_7125.thumb.jpg.d04cc05734eba9159cd68c32b7f45d82.jpgIMG_7133.thumb.jpg.73c8086d08d1b1492c7ebb2d120632a3.jpgIMG_7132.thumb.jpg.050b242c6a80c2630a4f41649cf8e82d.jpg

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

Not too much distorsion on the straight panel from the last picture?

I had a good bit of trouble with the last panel and as a result it did get a lot of heat in it.  I did stop periodically and stretch the joint with a hammer and dolly so the overall distortion is minimal.   From front to back it is very straight, however, from top to bottom at the smallest section it is still shrunk a bit and will need so more work.

• Like 2

Filed down the welds and did some hammer and dolly work... much less than I thought I would have to do.  Very happy with the outcome, nice a straight.  I practiced for about an hour tonight and made some good progress getting better looking welds.  I increased the oxygen pressure a bit and switched back to the smaller tip.  I also increase the gap between the two pieces.  The combination of those changes and some more experimenting yielding some nice looking beads. 

IMG_7134.thumb.jpg.b7b51d10a58204eb686e619088d354e1.jpgIMG_7136.thumb.jpg.b68b7fb68b407764ca740c7e800fef8d.jpg

• Like 6

My 31 Chevy had a dent on the passenger side corner of the body lower than the top of the rear seat. Some Bozo (clown for-those who don’t know Bozo), used a screw point dent puller and drilled about 25 -3/16” holes to pull the dent out. They simply could have pulled the rear seat out and knocked the dent back from the inside, never putting one hole in the car. I guess someone had bought a new dent puller and wanted to try it out. Anyway, after I knocked the dent back out, I welded every hole up with rod then filed it all down with high quality Nickerson files. There is nothing like a good file for this type of work. Once it was semi flat, it got tin knocked until I was happy with its shape. Any high spots got lightly filed again. I then bought, which I at the time, I thought was probably a waste of money, two SS disks that go on a grinder. One is a 5” and the other, a 9 or 10”. You run the “shrinking disk” over the area and all the high spots show up as blue metal where they get hot from the friction. Once they turn blue or even start to get red, remove the disk and hit the area with a spray bottle or a wet rag from a bucket. Within a few applications of the disk, your repaired surface is damn near perfect. I filed it some more after the disks to smooth it out and the area only needed glazing putty to get it perfect with no filler used. Those disks were definitely worth the money. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chistech said:

My 31 Chevy had a dent on the passenger side corner of the body lower than the top of the rear seat. Some Bozo (clown for-those who don’t know Bozo), used a screw point dent puller and drilled about 25 -3/16” holes to pull the dent out. They simply could have pulled the rear seat out and knocked the dent back from the inside, never putting one hole in the car. I guess someone had bought a new dent puller and wanted to try it out. Anyway, after I knocked the dent back out, I welded every hole up with rod then filed it all down with high quality Nickerson files. There is nothing like a good file for this type of work. Once it was semi flat, it got tin knocked until I was happy with its shape. Any high spots got lightly filed again. I then bought, which I at the time, I thought was probably a waste of money, two SS disks that go on a grinder. One is a 5” and the other, a 9 or 10”. You run the “shrinking disk” over the area and all the high spots show up as blue metal where they get hot from the friction. Once they turn blue or even start to get red, remove the disk and hit the area with a spray bottle or a wet rag from a bucket. Within a few applications of the disk, your repaired surface is damn near perfect. I filed it some more after the disks to smooth it out and the area only needed glazing putty to get it perfect with no filler used. Those disks were definitely worth the money. 

Thanks for relating... I've been on the fence on those shrinking discs for some time.   The theory is great and the YouTube videos look great, but so does Cold Fusion.  Very helpful to hear from someone that really understands what is going on. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, chistech said:

I then bought, which I at the time, I thought was probably a waste of money, two SS disks that go on a grinder.

Ted, I have spent most of my life running a body shop and had not come across these 'shrinking discs' before, perhaps they have only been available in the period I have been retired. Where have those last 15+ years gone?!? It is nice to hear that the shrinking discs work.

• Like 1

I bought the Wolfe’s metal brand set. They have some good videos too.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I've been having some rotator-cuff issues and really haven't been able to do anything.  It slowed me down last week but it has pretty much stopped me this week.   I think my Dr and I have a plan and I'll be able to get to work in another week or so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

Unfortunately I've been having some rotator-cuff issues and really haven't been able to do anything.

Sorry to hear of your problem. Not knowing or heard of 'rotator-cuff' before I had to look it up to find out what it was. Not only do I learn stuff about old motors and machining on this forum I am now learning medical terms. :) I hope your shoulder recovers soon Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Rotator cuff problems are very painful and it’s almost impossible to sleep in bed. My brother has had 5 surgeries on both of his shoulders and I’m nursing both of mine, no surgery as of yet. We grew up butchering cattle from a young age and the motion of skinning is a very isometric one, pushing and pulling using both shoulders while expanding your reach to almost a full span. The doctors have told both of us that starting our butchering at 11&13 years respectively, basically destroyed our shoulders. Good luck my friend. 

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Shoulder might be a little better.  I'll start some physical therapy this weekend and see how it goes.  In the meantime I've been doing some plating.  I've decided to look at building a barrel plater to speed up the process.  I've got a lot of nuts/washers and bolts to do.  I'll still have to clean each individual one but at least I will not have to individually wire them... at least that's the hope.

IMG_7148.thumb.jpg.969cf81ec1312fb335c946324e3ba208.jpgIMG_7155.thumb.jpg.8b448478c5e4c104d8281fb39836e7f0.jpg

• Like 2

Luv2Wrench, hopefully PT will help your shoulder.  Surgery is a 9 month recovery. My wife is going for PT now for a torn rotator-cuff. Hope you will only need PT. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas. John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John S. said:

Luv2Wrench, hopefully PT will help your shoulder.  Surgery is a 9 month recovery. My wife is going for PT now for a torn rotator-cuff. Hope you will only need PT. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas. John

Thank John, I hope PT goes well for your wife.  Today has been remarkably better than yesterday and I actually got a nice sleep last night.  I'm feeling very optimistic. 

• Like 4

Welcome back, Jeff.  PT works wonders, all though it does take a while.  Take your time and you'll be 100% sooner than later.  MG work is looking good!  Safety Fast!

• Like 2

Here I am down in Florida for Christmas sitting down relaxing going through all my favorite restoration threads and my left shoulder is hurting more than it ever has! Jeff, did you send it my way! 😆. Anyway, this relaxing seems to do me more damage than all the work I normally do. I have no idea why it’s hurting so bad but hope it stops soon! On a better note, an early merry Christmas to all!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chistech said:

relaxing going through all my favorite restoration threads and my left shoulder is hurting more than it ever has!

Lift the beers with your right arm. Ease the stress on the left. ;) 

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have been through the shoulder rebuild along with Titanium screws and all.  After I got past therapy and the healing time my Dr. told me that if he was real honest and told us all how painful shoulder surgery is , no one would get repaired.  The bad thing, and we are all different, but I would hurt, take a pain pill, then not only have the pain, but have constipation  and a foggy head also.  One event like that I learned that I can deal with a bit of pain before I would deal with pain and the added bonus of constipation.  It was bad enough for me that my wife would have to help me get out of bed......I felt like such a whimp!  Now that I am past all that "shoulder stuff" I am very glad that I got my shoulder fixed!  Enjoy your time in Florida.  Everyone here have a Merry Christmas, whatever your circumstance or location would be, and and a great New Years celebration starting a new decade.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Lift the beers with your right arm. Ease the stress on the left. ;) 

Merry Christmas!

Beer gives me a sinus headache,,,,,,,,lol but scotch doesn’t!🤣🤣

• Like 2

I got the semi-barrel plater done and it worked pretty well.  I need to work on the dangler as it spent too much time plating itself (and creating general electrolytic havoc) instead of maintaining contact with the parts to be plated.  I have some ideas and I think this will be pretty easy to fix.   I also want to look at increasing the rotation speed.  The bbq rotisserie motor I got doesn't have a speed control and it goes really slow.  The parts tend to stick together and make their way to near the top before gravity takes over and they fall to the bottom.  I need to get a little more tumble action.  All that said, I put 25 nuts/bolts in there and 40 minutes later had a nice plate.  I still have to clean each one before plating and they need a quick touch-up on a soft wire wheel after to get the nice shine, but that's a heck of a lots less work than wiring each one not too mention I could only plate 5 things at a time before. 

IMG_7189.thumb.jpg.4b81416cc740f63e39eac77e8c6441df.jpgIMG_7188.thumb.jpg.3bd15bd215f7a3debdf47b2dd5e942e4.jpgIMG_7187.thumb.jpg.c16788abc3ead145a193bd032d2e4a7d.jpgIMG_7191.thumb.jpg.1d45206f8f67e3c014ba46f0f7b6fba5.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, John S. said:

Never heard of a semi-barrel plater.  Very nice work on the bolts and washers.

Thanks!  I did make the term up so that might be why it doesn't sound familiar. :)   It is a barrel plating system but made with a bowl instead of a barrel... I melted holes in the bowl with a large soldering iron.  Having a full barrel would have taken up a lot of room and thus a lot of plating solution.  I got the idea from a poster in the Caswell plating forum.  I modified it slightly but it is pretty much the same.  

• Like 1