Worked on these two CarterCars yesterday....

keiser31

Getting them ready for a possible sale, I worked on two CarterCars yesterday that a friend of mine has. They are both amazing all original vehicles. One is a 1913 and the other is a 1914. Talk about your H.P.O.F. vehicles....5a9adee967f1c_Picture9126.thumb.jpg.7508a550432ef8361ea4ecf7b90288db.jpg

Picture 9129.jpg

Picture 9101.jpg

Picture 9104.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Quite some auto history there!  You are a lucky fellow to have that opportunity.

Yes and I learned a lot about the friction drive stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 4:31 PM, mercer09 said:

great looking cars! just the way they are.....................

YES! I persuaded the current owner to NOT "polish and buff them up for the guy who wants them". He was going to have me do that, but given the history on them, I think they should only be dusted off and MAYBE washed. I vacuumed the tops off of all of the dust  on both cars and dusted the 1914 off. I will be working on the 1913 tomorrow. Very cool cars, indeed.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Now that was a fun video, thanks for posting!  A Cartercar is an interesting animal, I assume those two are friction drive....are you going to post asking prices on the Forum?

Yes, they are both friction drive. Not sure yet what the guy will REALLY settle for, yet, but will post when I find out. Here is another video of the 1915....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPB2T69qppc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

Keiser,

You should have put a picture or two of the engine and friction drive parts up.  Do the cars have four cylinder Northway flat heads in them? 

Okay....

Picture 9096.jpg

Picture 9097.jpg

Picture 9105.jpg

Picture 9211.jpg

post-37352-14313818576.jpg

post-37352-143138142154.jpg

post-37352-143138142156.jpg

post-37352-143138185753.jpg

• Like 3

Nice cars and nice pictures.  Very unique drivetrains, a carry over from some earlier cars such as Sears Autobuggys.  As long as the facing and friction material correct then they were reliable cars.

Interesting additions to any collection, thanks for sharing pictures with us...

• Like 2

Thanks Keiser!

It seems like you spend more time taking pictures than anyone else.  I see your catercars had two different kinds of Northway engines.  The earlier separate cylinder engines are in great demand as they develop cracks in strange places.  These engines were also used in Coles.  The mono bloc four cylinders are a flathead version of the same overhead valve engine that I have in my 1915 Olds model 42.  

No sand Kyle.  The disc is typically covered with rosin paper to provide traction.  My local car buddy has driven his CarterCar on many big car tours and can keep up nicely.   Moving the lever to adjust the speed does not disconnect the drive wheel from the disc.  So, he has the advantage of not needing to shift with the associated loss of momentum when climbing hills.  I have seen him pass other more powerful cars on hills because of this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sligermachine said:

I bet the box on the right was for sand and the round hole on both sides was to drop sand or dust on the whell when it got to polished to a shine to get any more traction ? but just a guess .

The "box" on the right is the covered chain drive unit. The way the discs operate is when the rear disc is in the center of the "copper" disc, the car is in neutral. When you pull the control handle to the right, the car goes forward. When you pull the control handle to the left, the car goes backwards. Three moving transmission parts. Simple stuff.

• Like 2