The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

JohnD1956

LENW4xlmM3URVKg_yKgXJjXUvH7a9RrBTBmn7klnwOC10mJ_-VYvAnFau32f0eeDuCsLHYb5xK_zzqUz7psupewlR3Ukc-TpZ2A51OtCULLlxKtvMe6stqPK90T2Gd5qSwpozolBNTJwHbrW81yfL-l1TVPpA4oA1joJFz6XVbXFELK54y0p57lxQiu5M9ODo5qRt8ZvMsdOYEDRyfGMxMGr458Pj9PG90gWzJJ0xo-FI2MX4dkSzUWd3HVgnjvsp3arLQTVphdwDRzGuPv5Y3ibYRqAI4-5sAzzy6PVkmcIqygX8asyGy-OFf-5mPMBWoEd6mak0_Km7KEFxDN9c4ctWvdug2Vl7XwN-flQiosbQs3j-2Qk1auOWLh7wQTn66I5bQXPJY8L3ApIPdKz7j-uq9LjxNFmBj-6DGPQ2ob8NE9DC37dvbZp6ltrOY_kEMNVm8LDVGTaCkDNmzpOWlM2ZhTy5GjxfxlRadZ5BLlwUC8xfAsJOeatM6IP5NsvWTfSqhkvzfNW2y5b9YrjhIpTqPlRV6zu6Pq8I2oxBmv92ieV4QWXP9w8CRwaHa4DprHJO-nAbpS-PVi9jrNuA3b5g9Mpn0LF_KWr9-tqt3ri48It-CfD3Hp0lpTSJu-3c5dZeRPBNzuKWl5uyUOr4HzU=w911-h683-no

Been out of this car, and the challenge, due to some mechanical issues.  Finally got it straightened out and topped the tank up today during my test drive, adding this 134 miles to my last total of 1491 for a total of 1,625miles into the goal. 

At this point I don't see me driving the 56 much more this year, so I'm gonna say my total for the year was 1,600 miles and better luck next year.  It was a fun challenge!  And I thank everyone who participated.  And even though I did not make my goal,  I think the opportunity was a tremendous benefit for me personally, as I have  a renewed level of confidence in this vehicle.  If the weather cooperates and gets seasonal again I'll most likely get it out for a run or two.  And next years challenge will start on January 1st, instead of half way through the year. ;)

1026181017.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yes mechanical issues have been my holdup too John (along with recent work demands) but if weather permits and the roads are salt free might keep at it for a bit more.

Next month I will be making an important short road trip. This extra work effort hasn't been for nothing and will be investing in a transmission swap for the rebuilt one I did last year.

It will be so nice to have a parking lock and not have to use the emergency brake for a change. 

9 hours ago, dei said:

It will be so nice to have a parking lock and not have to use the emergency brake for a change. 

Regarding the parking brake, my trucking days taught something I use still. Never park  in gear. So when the '50 came along with standard, I started parking with the parking brake. Is automatic now.

Ben

• Like 1

Ben,  Do you park out of gear ?

Another Saturday and another trip for lunch.  Fairly boring as we didn't see much besides cattle, Llamas and a dead possum on the road.

But it was a nice sunny day for a drive. Another 56 miles today for a total of 1759.

Car is going to get some wiring changed this next week so hopefully I will have A/C again.

We still got plenty of time to drive these old cars down here, so not giving up the challenge quite yet.

It has been fun though.

IMG_2204.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well, I was in a Buick world today and mapped routes to Midwest City.  Give or take, that’s 1100 miles one way so I can actually see a car putting on the challenge mileage next year.  The 2020 National would be in the range of 1200 miles one way.  So, if I can actually get to the next couple National meets and actually drive cars, we may get there.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Well,

Have been out of the challenge for awhile but not out just yet...

Made arrangements to get the car in to have the transmission swapped out for the rebuilt one sitting on a dolly beside her this year.

It was crisp out to say the least but the roads were clear and no salt yet. I got her started and warmed up to ensure the current trany would operate without slipping and do no more damage as I want to eventually get it rebuilt and maybe use it in the Roadmaster.

IMG_4055.thumb.JPG.7233462a1704447052f450e161af3d75.JPG

I made note of the trip meter reading at 907 miles and will see how the weather is after the swap is completed this week and maybe end the season with another road trip.

IMG_4056.thumb.JPG.6db2262cdd5665c64e5797fabf2220f4.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I just finished totaling the mileage for the year of my '75 Electra, which has been documented in the "Raise your hand if you drove at least one Buick this weekend". 

In fact I just posted my last of the season there with the total. The car was great and is a great driver. She even won a 1st Award Jr. at the Gettysburg AACA Eastern Spring Meet.

OK, get to the point! The number of miles driven was 3,057.

IMG_5396.JPG

fullsizeoutput_58e4.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, philip roitman said:

I just finished totaling the mileage for the year of my '75 Electra, which has been documented in the "Raise your hand if you drove at least one Buick this weekend". 

In fact I just posted my last of the season there with the total. The car was great and is a great driver. She even won a 1st Award Jr. at the Gettysburg AACA Eastern Spring Meet.

OK, get to the point! The number of miles driven was 3,057.

That is fantastic sir! Definitely a beauty!

• Thanks 1

My little road trip to the transmission Shop and back was not anything big mileage wise at only 10 miles but a huge accomplishment to ensure a good start for next years Challenge.

IMG_4068.thumb.JPG.a9fbf4441cb8e3e007fe695b27a6ac15.JPG

I have to calculate exactly what my total was for the year next.

IMG_4066.thumb.JPG.b8c8869619b62f26267c0480f024f834.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I logged 621 miles driving the Buick home (on a trailer).  It handled beautifully, the cruise control and A/C worked just great.  Everyone understood my turn signals and my power disc brakes and power electric steering issued no troubles.  The 5.0 V8 got about 13 mpg with the big lug sitting on the trailer.  Do you mean driving the Buick specifically?    Darn, I can't get anything past you guys!

IMG_5973.thumb.jpg.c8bfb6807abd6d2ec2acf5a2357c3334.jpg  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

With 2018 now closed out what should we set as the Challenge for 2019?

Start a new thread John?

My needed mechanical issues kept me from attaining last years goal but after a new water pump (soon) should be good to go with the "Challenge" (or not) but it has been fun reading everyone's rides large or small to get there.

May we all have a good Buickfull 2019 season! 

IMG_4151.thumb.JPG.76d9f4b376172411ce10802b87bab86a.JPG 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

What's the latest year that qualifies to enter this challenge?

There are no rules here Ed.  Run what you brung. Its always up to the participant to set a goal and try to make it. 

Use one or multiple cars, use older or newer cars, whatever works for the participant.  I will say two things though. 

2500 miles on one car is almost a job,assuming we are not talking your daily driver. 

And for myself,even if I did not run into mechanical difficulties, I am pretty sure I wouldn't

have made the goal. 

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

There are no rules here Ed.  Run what you brung. Its always up to the participant to set a goal and try to make it. 

Use one or multiple cars, use older or newer cars, whatever works for the participant.  I will say two things though. 

2500 miles on one car is almost a job,assuming we are not talking your daily driver. 

And for myself,even if I did not run into mechanical difficulties, I am pretty sure I wouldn't

have made the goal. 

If my daily driver were an older car and I put 10,000 miles per year on it, wouldn't that be four times the target accomplishment?  Or are you limiting the number of miles to 2500? 

2500 miles is just a little under 50 miles per week.  That's a couple of trips to the liquor store and just keeping the tires from getting flat spots. 50 miles per week for 52 weeks = 2,600 miles

Edited by RivNut
grammar nazi kicked me in the butt (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

2500 miles is just a little under 50 miles per week.  That's a couple of trips to the liquor store and just keeping the tires from getting flat spots. 50 miles per week for 52 weeks = 2,600 miles

See how easy it could be!  Of course, since there are no rules against establishing something that's a challenge for yourself, I would imagine in your scenario that one might bump the 2,500 miles up to something like 4,000 miles or more. 

Those of us in the 'rust belt' have the opposite problem -- maybe only 6 months where significant milage can be accumulated.  I need to check my odometer today, but last I looked, I think I was quite a bit under 1,000 miles on Goldie last year...  :(

28 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Those of us in the 'rust belt' have the opposite problem -- maybe only 6 months where significant mileage can be accumulated. ...

From what I've heard from others, those in the "sun belt"

don't get to enjoy the summers much with their antique cars.

Club events are put on hold during the sweltering weather,

and people put their cars in storage during that part of the year.

Their best temperatures occur in the fall, spring, or winter when

there isn't much daylight in the evening.

Northerners, count your blessings!  Summer high temperatures

in the 70's or 80's, and long days to enjoy your cars when you have

a pleasant daylight until 9 or 10 p.m.!

All parts of the country have some advantages---

47 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Those of us in the 'rust belt' have the opposite problem -- maybe only 6 months where significant milage can be accumulated.  I need to check my odometer today, but last I looked, I think I was quite a bit under 1,000 miles on Goldie last year...  :(

EmTee, I'm in the same climate you are and while having accomplished a little over 1,000 miles in 2017 was feeling confident enough that year to accept a challenge from John to see if either of us could make the 2,500 mile mark.

Mechanical issues (and time) prevented me from getting that 1,000 mile mark in 2018 let alone 2,500 but planning, after much mechanical fixes, to get to the 2,019 mile mark this year.

I tend to look at the goal more as a chronicle of the miles travelled than NOT meeting a given challenge. 

Having driven almost 1,000 miles in Goldie is still a wonderful experience not everyone can say they've done.

I've always said that getting there is half the fun, even if it is with my down time. 

Looking back on those times, I rationalise it as being the more hands on intimate experience with my car and once on the road again can say "I got you here".

Spring is coming so chin up and enjoy the rides no mater how many!

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, dei said:

Having driven almost 1,000 miles in Goldie is still a wonderful experience not everyone can say they've done.

Agreed -- I didn't mean to make it sound like a complaint; though driving my old cars more is always better!  ;)  Rather than focus on the mileage, my plan for this year is simply to enjoy my cars more.  A big part of that will be hopefully taking Goldie to Gettysburg in June to attend the ROA International meet.

• Like 3