JohnD1956

The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

2500 miles is just a little under 50 miles per week.  That's a couple of trips to the liquor store and just keeping the tires from getting flat spots. 50 miles per week for 52 weeks = 2,600 miles

See how easy it could be!  Of course, since there are no rules against establishing something that's a challenge for yourself, I would imagine in your scenario that one might bump the 2,500 miles up to something like 4,000 miles or more. 

Those of us in the 'rust belt' have the opposite problem -- maybe only 6 months where significant milage can be accumulated.  I need to check my odometer today, but last I looked, I think I was quite a bit under 1,000 miles on Goldie last year...  :(

28 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Those of us in the 'rust belt' have the opposite problem -- maybe only 6 months where significant mileage can be accumulated. ...

From what I've heard from others, those in the "sun belt"

don't get to enjoy the summers much with their antique cars.

Club events are put on hold during the sweltering weather,

and people put their cars in storage during that part of the year.

Their best temperatures occur in the fall, spring, or winter when

there isn't much daylight in the evening.

Northerners, count your blessings!  Summer high temperatures

in the 70's or 80's, and long days to enjoy your cars when you have

a pleasant daylight until 9 or 10 p.m.!

All parts of the country have some advantages---

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Those of us in the 'rust belt' have the opposite problem -- maybe only 6 months where significant milage can be accumulated.  I need to check my odometer today, but last I looked, I think I was quite a bit under 1,000 miles on Goldie last year...  :(

EmTee, I'm in the same climate you are and while having accomplished a little over 1,000 miles in 2017 was feeling confident enough that year to accept a challenge from John to see if either of us could make the 2,500 mile mark.

Mechanical issues (and time) prevented me from getting that 1,000 mile mark in 2018 let alone 2,500 but planning, after much mechanical fixes, to get to the 2,019 mile mark this year.

I tend to look at the goal more as a chronicle of the miles travelled than NOT meeting a given challenge. 

Having driven almost 1,000 miles in Goldie is still a wonderful experience not everyone can say they've done.

I've always said that getting there is half the fun, even if it is with my down time. 

Looking back on those times, I rationalise it as being the more hands on intimate experience with my car and once on the road again can say "I got you here".

Spring is coming so chin up and enjoy the rides no mater how many!

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, dei said:

Having driven almost 1,000 miles in Goldie is still a wonderful experience not everyone can say they've done.

Agreed -- I didn't mean to make it sound like a complaint; though driving my old cars more is always better!  ;)  Rather than focus on the mileage, my plan for this year is simply to enjoy my cars more.  A big part of that will be hopefully taking Goldie to Gettysburg in June to attend the ROA International meet.

• Like 3