'37 Special Fuel Pump

70sWagoneers

First of all, is this the correct fuel pump for a 1937 Special 248ci? And if so, does anyone know someone who might have a replacement fuel pump arm. Mine has been roughly welded on. My next option is to buy a correct pump to fabricate a correct arm and fix my "original". Would the arm be made or hardened steel?

There is the number 9304 on pump flange, the number 51 inside a circle, and what looks like 521467 on the lever arm.

20180226_211716.thumb.jpg.3935a8c696c95a63ffa3a3bd6c1a9d72.jpg

20180226_211756.thumb.jpg.52b836ad62acf5b56044f6e0fc58a921.jpg

Thanks

James C.

I would suspect that someone welded that to either unsuccessfully try to repair an underperforming fuel pump, or else to overcome a significantly worn cam lobe that was not moving the fuel pump arm enough. 

If I was in that situation, I would probably try a reproduction fuel pump such as this one: https://www.kanter.com/content/Buick/kanter_Buick_1937_Fuel_Pumps_4177.html

I don't know which engines the Buick models used, so here are all of them.

AC fuel pump book lists the late '35 & '36-37 Buick 40 with pump 1521854 (series W, type 423 although on another page it says 421). Rocker arm number 1521467.

'36-37-38 Buick 60, 80, 90 with pump 1521838 (series AB - with the vacuum pump included - type 422). Rocker arm number 1522071.

So that is not a correct pump for a 1937 Buick. The 9304 was not fitted OEM to any Buick up to 1952.

The arm you have was probably that required for a series 40, built up (too much) to replace wear.

I would try these folks for the arm and rebuild kits. http://www.then-now-auto.com/

It looks like that is a later replacement with the air dome cast into the top cover. I have some 421 pumps, but they were rebuilt years ago and will need new diaphragms, if you get stuck looking for a good core. The one I looked at has the same arm number.

Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

I would try these folks for the arm and rebuild kits. http://www.then-now-auto.com/ .....

Dave 

I live in the next town over from them and drive by Then and Now all the time, they are very well regarded around here. they are very knowledgeable and although I have never used them for this, seem to have a respectable rebuild/ service they provide.

Happy to help if something is needed from them, its quite literally on the way to my shop!

On AC pumps with four digit numbers like 9304 you add the number 153 in front to get the factory number - 1539304. This crosses to AC pump type or part number 421. The dome or cone shaped item on the top cover is cast in to the cover which makes it a later replacement. See my photo above, the dome screws on to the cover. Your pump and the ebay pump are correct in function for the car but not exactly what was on it when delivered.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MajesticDean said:

is the gasket to mount the pump to the block  the same a as small block chevy it looks like it is but want to be sure i need to change imine as its leaking oil.

Just take it off and make one out of 0.8 mm paper to suit the shape and openings.

It is the same as many vehicles that used that type pump. See the interchange list above. Did sbc use that style of pump?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)