carmover

25 Buick first start issues

The starter was completely rebuilt by Jason Smith less than 2 years ago.This was a complete rebuild New bushings ,rewound armature a new commutator and new brushes and a new machined roller for the brushes.When I removed the start gen about 5 months ago the starter was turning the motor perfectly.Everything in the start system has been checked and rechecked and all gears and shaft is working perfectly The starter was bench tested and works fine.I feel the same as everybody else does that the starter should at least turn the engine over with the plugs out.There is one other thing that could be happening is the battery.I use a n Optima gel 6 volt battery  and have the proper battery maintainer.When I put the battery back in the car for the restart I bent the ground post and bent it back using a small hammer.I was pretty sure that I damaged the battery so I hooked up the maintainer up and it annilized the battery and gave it a clean bill of health and I let it charge to a full charge and it is now in the monitoring mode.i ran another test on the hot post and I am getting a full 6 volts.I hate to buy a 6 volt battery unless I need too but I might buy a cheap lead/acid one to try.I put a compression guage on one of the cyllinders And tried to turn it with the crank and when it reached the top of it's stroke it would stop me for a second and I was unable to crank it round and round,but all of the cyllinders open with the plugs out I can crank it around three or four times before it wears me out.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Why not try any good battery (6 or 12 volt) and see if it is the starting motor. Any new, rebuilt, or recharged item can fail at any time without warning.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When  you press down the starter pedal how about the amp-meter,if it goes down to zero(full discarge) I think have a batteri problem? If nothing happens with the amp -meter at all you have a wire or bruch  problem .As you proberbly know when put the ignition ON ,the generator should move slowly,and you can see the amp-meter goes a little bit on discharge.If the amp-meter don`t move you have wire or bruch problem.

Leif in Sweden.

• Like 1

If you bent something in the battery terminal connection, but didn't exactly break it off, you will still show 6V and still be able to charge it and test it, but it may not be able to carry the amperage you need to start the car. Have someone hold a volt meter across the terminals as you try to start the car. See what your voltage is under load. That will tell you what's going on with the battery.

• Like 1

I finally figured it out today and as all of you have heard the statement live and learn I am ashamed to say that I should have checked the small stuff first.This morning I went to the machine shop that built my engine and brought him to my shop to check and see if the engine was too tight.He tried it and said it was just like it should be and like all of the rest of us thought it was in the starting system. I took out the battery and we went by a shop that has been in business since the stone age and works on anything that is electric from automobiles to train engines.The tested the battery and it checked out perfect even when they put a load on it.The told me to go and get the start/gen and bring it back to them and they would check it out.They tested it and showed me how it works and they energized it and the starter came alive when the the 6 volts was put to it.They gave it a clean bill of health also but they had on thing the wanted me to do.They said to go back and install the start gen but not to hook up any wires or or the battery leads.They said to hook up the hot lead of a jumper cable to the hot post on the s/gen and the ground lead to the bolt on the bottom and try the starter.It turned out to be a bad ground cable end on the battery ground lead.I am sitting here happy but embarassed !

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, carmover said:

I finally figured it out today and as all of you have heard the statement live and learn I am ashamed to say that I should have checked the small stuff first.This morning I went to the machine shop that built my engine and brought him to my shop to check and see if the engine was too tight.He tried it and said it was just like it should be and like all of the rest of us thought it was in the starting system. I took out the battery and we went by a shop that has been in business since the stone age and works on anything that is electric from automobiles to train engines.The tested the battery and it checked out perfect even when they put a load on it.The told me to go and get the start/gen and bring it back to them and they would check it out.They tested it and showed me how it works and they energized it and the starter came alive when the the 6 volts was put to it.They gave it a clean bill of health also but they had on thing the wanted me to do.They said to go back and install the start gen but not to hook up any wires or or the battery leads.They said to hook up the hot lead of a jumper cable to the hot post on the s/gen and the ground lead to the bolt on the bottom and try the starter.It turned out to be a bad ground cable end on the battery ground lead.I am sitting here happy but embarassed !

Don't be embarrassed at all!  You just did, what we have all done at one time or another. :)

Thanks for sharing the story, we all learned from it.  So glad it worked out for you. 

• Like 1

As my one good friend tells me - you live and learn and die and forget it all.  That was a very inexpensive fix for sure.  We need reports on how this newly rebuilt engine runs.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

For all I know , this might be a good time to entertain us with a few pics !   - Carl 

• Like 1

Great to hear its been sorted out.   As Carl said,    post some photoes of that beautiful car.

• Like 1

Glad the problem has been found.  Interesting thread since I am almost ready for my first start on a new restoration1915 McLaughlin and it will be my first experience with a stater/generator.  Nervous.  Gary

• Like 2

Gary, good luck on your first startup and please get us some pictures , I would love to see it!   Ronnie

We have all been there Brother.

I had a broken ballast resistor filament that would make and break contact when it heated up.  Just like someone pulled the coil wire off as you drove down the road.  Dead.  Then it would cool down, make contact and it was fine.  Drove me nuts for a week (some say permanently).  Finally found it working late into the night as I saw it spark in the dim light under the dash where my coil and resistor reside. 

Running in the pitch dark in the driveway is now something I do as I look under the dash and under the hood for any sparking. when I do a tune up.

Bad grounds that look fine are just as frustrating. 

Another:

I had the little spring on the back of the Delco ignition switch fall off.  This is part of the thermal fuse on the back of the switch.  When there is a large draw due to a short, the little piece of metal gets hot, expands and opens the circuit.  The spring holds it in contact and returns it when cooled.  Lost that little spring on a country road in the pitch dark coming from a party.  So no lights of any kind and no ignition but it would crank.  Thought at first is was that damn ballast resistor again but the no lights was a clue.  Just by luck with the flash light, the Wife saw the little spring on the front floor carpet and said, 'what's that go to?' and I knew what it was having rebuilt the switch some years ago.  I might add that, that contact needs to be clean too, both little thermal arm and the button it rests on in addition to all the switch contacts that stay pretty clean since they are 'wiped' by the switch. 

No comment on the spring falling off or the guy who worked on the switch last.  :P

• Like 4

You are right about that Brian,I  love how people go about solving problems on these old cars and how everybody jumps in with sugestions and input on how to fix them.And I know we are all in the same boat and these cars can really be a challenge.

1915 McLaughlin touring as found in 2015 with the previous owner of nearly 50 years.  Had not run or been on the road since 1991but as you can see a good project.  One day last fall the chassis and body together again.  I have to make a wiring harness, install a fuel line, have my local shoemaker sew me a fan belt, it's full of oil and coolant and RRR, RRR and RRR.  Thanks for this thread, wish me luck,  Gary 

DSC_1399 (2).jpg

DSC_4126.JPG

• Like 4

Gary that is a beautiful car,I wish you luck on getting it back on the road   Ronnie

Wonderful stuff.  Great work!

I had a bad experience with a leather fan belt.  Drove in the rain all day on a tour and the belt got wet and stretched and I 'threw' it bending a fan blade in the process.

I went with a flat 'rubber' serpentine belt like on modern cars.  NAPA had one short enough.  Never touched it since.  Might be cheaper than the shoe maker.

• Like 2

Bad case of Cabin Fever here today too with the snow coming down in buckets.  Let's post some more pics to cheer on Spring!

IMG_7813.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brian, That is a Beautiful car,I 've got cabin fever too.I have been waiting on the weather up north to thaw out so I can get up there and bring my 23 Buick sedan home.

Edited by carmover (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Bad case of Cabin Fever here today too with the snow coming down in buckets.  Let's post some more pics to cheer on Spring!

IMG_7813.jpg

My wife is kind enough to take pics and videos during the warm season, so we can get through the cold season. 

Let's go for a ride! 

20170802_085357.jpg

Edited by 27donb (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Don that's a real nice Roadster,I love the top it gives an elegant look to it!  Ronnie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Wonderful stuff.  Great work!

I had a bad experience with a leather fan belt.  Drove in the rain all day on a tour and the belt got wet and stretched and I 'threw' it bending a fan blade in the process.

I went with a flat 'rubber' serpentine belt like on modern cars.  NAPA had one short enough.  Never touched it since.  Might be cheaper than the shoe maker.

I did the same. The wider serpentine belts are great instead of the leather belts for making a worry free issue.

• Like 1

Here are some rare pictures of my  25A with the real glass windows installed.I don't put them in very often.

860633_429130183828493_1066783280_o.jpg

881948_429130030495175_695701521_o.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, carmover said:

Here are some rare pictures of my  25A with the real glass windows installed.I don't put them in very often.

860633_429130183828493_1066783280_o.jpg

881948_429130030495175_695701521_o.jpg

Amazing, you have a great car! 

• Like 1

I appreciate your comments concerning my leather fan belt and you are correct except I will have the car judged and do not want to give up the points.  I am not overly ambitious and hopefully will earn a first junior and Century Club plate before we take the car touring.  My wife and I are members of the Snappers as well as last year we participated in the Vintage Tour in Pa. and hope to go again in 2019 in Ontario.  

• Like 1