Hubert_25-25

1918-1925 Buick Clutch Driven Disc

Part 36153, the driven disc for all these clutches, started with the model 49, which came out in Jan of 1917 as the E-49. All 5 of the driven discs were part 36153. All the other 1917 Buicks were carry-over D models from 1916, and used the old cone clutch. The 49 had the new clutch and the new, much more powerful 242 engine. In Aug of 1917, the other E models were announced with the new clutch, and with the new 49 engine, and were called 1918 models, as were all successive E-49's.

What happened was the early cars with the new clutch and the new powerful 49 engine were coming in for repair with the clutch all busted, the front-most driven plate had warped tabs. The other 4 driven discs were fine, only the front one was messed up.

So Buick engineers strengthened the front driven plate as part number 37808, and released it for the rest of production year 1918 and following years, with 36153 for the back 4 driven discs, and 37808 for the front one.

My car, being one of the early 49's with this clutch, when I opened it up, I found all 5 of the driven discs were part 36153, and the front disc warped, and the car was put in a barn for 90 years. When I took the clutch apart, the front driven disc looked like this (this is an actual pic I took of my driven disc). Some of the tabs were actually broken. The other 4 driven discs were fine, only the front one had warped tabs:

P1040346.JPG

When I rebuilt my clutch, Hubert_25-25 (and I am forever in his debt for it) sent me a nice 37808 in superb condition, and now my car runs like Usain Bolt with a fresh lube job.

• Like 1

I would like to thank all contributors to this thread... and in particular Hugh. We now have adequate information to progress with the job.

The kindness and sharing nature of this forum is most heartwarming

regards

Marianne & Dave

• Like 2