'26 disc wheel inner tubes

R.White

Better news this afternoon.  I found a truck tyre fitter locally who could see no problem with what I wanted to do so I have left two wheels and new tubes with him.  He says they are familiar with the split locating ring system and in fact some commercials still use it!  I asked if the covers would be serviceable and he agreed with me that all things considered they would be fine.  I could buy cheap tyres but if I wanted to replace the same Dunlop 450/475 x 21 tyres they would be £250 each  (including VAT) !!!  The cost of swapping over the two tubes will be £50. and I should be able to pick them up tomorrow.

Ray.

Good news Ray!  When I inflated the new spare, I did wrap cargo straps through the hub hole and around the tire.  I also had the tire vertical and pointed away from me while inflating it (reaching through the hole).  I felt there was little chance of getting seriously injured if the ring popped off under those conditions.

I will find out tomorrow if everything has gone together O.K... I wouldn't be surprised if they have to condemn the covers because they are rather hard but at least I have found someone who knows how to handle the wheels.  The premisses is impressive and looks like a purpose built facility.  while I was there an HGV was unloading lorry tires at a loading bay.   They were easily rolled out of the back of the waggon into the building.  The place is properly geared up for commercial but I was treated just the same as any other customer and not made to feel as if I was being a nuisance.  Very nice people.:) 

Ray.

When I inflate my refitted tires I turn them over and put some ties around the tire and rim to catch the ring if it pops off. I also inflate a little at a time and bump it around in between to make sure it is seating properly.

I should have said, the hardest part about fitting old tires is getting the valve through the rim. I use blocks to hold the beads apart as I put it on, so I can reach in and push the valve (plastic tube attached) through the rim.

3 minutes ago, Machinist_Bill said:

Ray,

You keeping the car now?  LOL!

I think you know I have a love/hate relationship with this car!  

It is not until I am reminded of how stupid some  modern electronic clone cars are that the love of old iron - especially Detroit iron - comes to the fore.  The other day the compressor on my Range Rover electronic air suspension burned out.  That would be bad enough but what I hadn't realised was that the air suspension shares a 40 amp fuse with the starter motor solenoid so the effect was that the car wouldn't start.  You couldn't make it up...but some one must have.:unsure:

Ray.

Collected the wheels this morning and all good.  The tyres have stood up well and the new tubes with bent valves attached have been fitted.  The valves only just protrude enough to enable inflation from outside but that is O.K. with me.  Apparently the old tubes were well past it.:)

Ray.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wheelmang said:

Great news! Don't you just love it when a problem is finally solved??

Tell me about it!!!  I am feeling like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.  I also think I have learned a lot.  It means that if and when I invest in some new tyres or even for something simple like a puncture repair, I can go in there and get it sorted. :)

Although these guys are commercial I can also get a good deal with my daily driver.!

Ray.

I wouldn't doubt it is a design feature but  when I replaced the fuse it started right up again. I am still trying to fathom out how?.

The EAS has a "limp home" mode which alerts the driver not to exceed 35 MPH.  This didn't show up either but I soon replaced the pump with one which I had rebuilt previously.  If the suspension ECU says that the settings need to be re set, the usual procedure would be to have this done at the nearest LandRover main stealer.  Fortunately I have a gadget called a "kicker" which when plugged into the diagnostics point automatically re sets the ride height etc.  Fortunately, I only needed to fit the rebuilt compressor and the memory in one of the on board computers allowed the system to resume operation as if nothing had happened. 

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)