1936 Cord

There is one on the front of the tranny cover as well,  but those sometimes come up missing.  I guess with a car that was so unique when it came out you didn't need a big name sprawled across it.  People would figure out fast what it was.  

There was a big winged hood ornament that had it as well but that was an option, that I think few purchased, as it clutters the clean design of the car up. 

Yes, that's correct, two small emblems front and back.  I agree that the wings are pretty distracting from an otherwise timeless design.

Just think, if it had the name on the hubcaps, you'd have all those unknowing people coming up to you at shows and saying "Hey, did you know they misspelled FORD on your hubcaps??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't tell my dad you don't like the wing.  Here is a picture of one.  There was also an optional hood ornament that you never see.  Glenn Pray had one sitting on the shelf at his pickle factory and I think he wanted 100 bucks for it.  I thought about buying it and mounting in a block for my desk.  Would never put it on a car.

1936-1937-cord-810-812-13.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. I completely agree on the car's identity through it's iconic looks alone but branding is important. I did not expect any hood ornament on this car, however I thought perhaps some small script type of badging somewhere. I completely missed the lack of script on the  hubcaps as well.

I'd have to say the designers were pretty sure of themselves to take this direction, and apparently, time has proved them right.

From what I have read,  I don't think they were planning on becoming a mainstay in the automotive industry when they built these.  It almost seemed like a big pet project to me, to say here is what I can do.  It definitely did accomplish that.   

Actually 1956 Oldsmobiles only have one script in the grille stating they are an olds.  They do have the globe in a couple of other places, but on an 88 if you got the deluxe spinner hubcaps added,  They didn't even say Olds. 

I think a few cars have been the same way,  but not for with the intent of the Cord.  

Just my 2 cents of course. 

22 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

From what I have read,  I don't think they were planning on becoming a mainstay in the automotive industry when they built these.  It almost seemed like a big pet project to me, to say here is what I can do.  It definitely did accomplish that.   

Actually 1956 Oldsmobiles only have one script in the grille stating they are an olds.  They do have the globe in a couple of other places, but on an 88 if you got the deluxe spinner hubcaps added,  They didn't even say Olds. 

I think a few cars have been the same way,  but not for with the intent of the Cord.  

Just my 2 cents of course. 

I believe the reason for no badging on the Cord was simple. If you don't know what it is you are not in the know. The same thing was true of the Duesenberg. When introduced the Model J had no hood ornament. Owners complained of constantly having to explain what kind of car they were driving. So ACD had Mr. Buehrig design a hood ornament. Then owners had them installed and Duesenberg used the mascot in advertising. Now the public could identify a Duesy. These cars were meant to be special even when new. They were never intended to be high volume. So the fact that every person on the street did not know what they were looking at did not bother Mr. Cord. It was like being part of an exclusive club. 

12112128005_8770054dc9_b.jpg

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)