Fuel Pump Push Rod Too Long???

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump push rod on my newly rebuilt V-12 is too long.   I had an iron intake and now I have an aluminum one. What should the proper exact length and is there a problem me me just cutting and grinding it down to size???  It looks as if someone in the past has welded metal to it.  Thanks for all the replies.

IMG_2539.JPG

John, I don't have a Zephyr chassis parts catalog here. I checked Boos-Herrel's on line catalog and they only show 1 push rod for all Zephyrs. Narragansett Reproductions shows 2 push rods, one for 36-37 Zephyrs and the other one does not have years that they will fit. There are no notes as to the length. Is it likely that the 36-37 rod is longer than the later models? What year is your new manifold?

Tom, the whole engine is supposed to be 1941.  I spoke to Al Whelian today who informed me that the 36 & 37 is different from those that came later.  They are are different as to the height of the umbrella.  I ended up ordering one from him ($75 + shipping!) and hopefully that will work.

The difference must be in the block, so a later one would work in the 36-37 block and the earlier one would not work in the later block. Narragansett charges $9.60 For the early one and $67.50 for the universal one. Those may be old prices as they do not always update the prices in the online catalog.