New Wheels for 63 Rivi

PullmeoverRED

Hi there! Im looking to replace my OEM wheels with a new set of custom wheels and would like to know how large I can go without rubbing bot front and back. The wheels will be 5x5 bolt pattern of course. I would like to stagger the wheels. something like 17x8 Front and 18x9.5 Rear / Also considered 18x8 Front and 18x10 Rear. Can anyone help me with what the offset of a standard 63 Riv is and and either of these options would fit without any mods?

Thanks so much,

PullmeoverRed

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

Nearly every RWD GM car of the 1960s and 70s uses zero offset wheels.  Fitment will depend on the TIRE diameter and width, not the wheel diameter.

THANK YOU JOE. Im not certain what the other comment was about. My RIV is all original. I am merely curious as to what the possibilities are. I appreciate your response.

14 hours ago, PullmeoverRED said:

THANK YOU JOE. Im not certain what the other comment was about. My RIV is all original. I am merely curious as to what the possibilities are. I appreciate your response.

You asked if 17" or 18" wheels will fit a Riv. The answer is that the bare WHEELS will fit fine.  Whether or not the TIRES fit and rub will depend on which tire size you plan to use on those wheels. You did not tell us that so we cannot provide a useful answer.

4 hours ago, PullmeoverRED said:

Thanks Joe, I get that. I guess I should rephrase my question. I would like to know if the following wheel fitment would work on the car.

Front: 17×8, Tire 245/55/17

Rear:  18x9.5, Tire 275/55/18

I'll defer to people with more experience in the early Rivs, but for now, the original tires were about 27.8" in diameter.  Your 245/55-17s are just about the same diameter and a couple of inches wider.  That should be no issue.  275-55-18s are nearly 30" in diameter.  I'd suggest 275/45-18s if you can find them - those are about the same diameter as the 245/75-17s.  I'm not sure about the width, however.

• Like 1

Try searching for topics under the Riviera Owner's Association (ROA) area in the Buick forum.  This question comes up quite frequently and I recall some posts within the last month talking about this subject.  While you're at it, consider joining the ROA -- you'll receive "The Riview" and have access to additional Riviera articles and supplier contact information.  ;)

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/73-buick-riviera-riviera-owners-association/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...