IN SEARCH OF CORRECT 1948 WINDSOR WINDSHIELD GASKET

I cannot seem to find anyone that carries the correct windshield gasket for my 47 Windsor club coupe that has the stainless trim around the glass. Odd part is that Steele Rubber carries the gasket by the foot that accepts the trim but not a one piece gasket. They also do carry a one piece gasket for my car that does NOT have the groove for the SS trim. They offer a service to vulcanize the gasket sold by the foot, thereby making a one piece gasket, but they want me to send a template of the glass in order to make what I need. Which will be at an additional cost. I have been searching for the one piece gasket for a year or more. Does anyone know where I can simply order a one piece gasket that will accept the stainless steel trim for my 1947 Chrysler Windsor club coupe? Thanx for any help anyone can offer.

Edited by Steelbreeze
Wording (see edit history)

I used the bulk gasket.

Its been a couple of years, If I recall correctly I had some trouble but was able to get it to work.

I think I had to trim the stainless slightly.

I got some really sticky nasty sealer from my local glass shop.

The guy (a friend) even loaned me an electric gun to push this stuff out of the tube as this stuff is very thick. (and messy)

031.jpg

Hi, 

i don’t know if the 4 door sedan is the same but I used a one piece rubber with the stainless trim that I purchased at  Roberts motor parts and it fitted perfectly, this was about 12 years ago, I even travelled from the U.K. to collect it in person (we were on holiday)

Hope this might help.

Cheers Dave 

4 hours ago, Dave Phillips said:

Hi, 

i don’t know if the 4 door sedan is the same but I used a one piece rubber with the stainless trim that I purchased at  Roberts motor parts and it fitted perfectly, this was about 12 years ago, I even travelled from the U.K. to collect it in person (we were on holiday)

Hope this might help.

Cheers Dave 

Thanx, I'll try and find the listing and number and give them a call

As I recall the windheild stainless trim stays on the car even before the glass and rubber are installed as a unit.

The glass is installed into the rubber is pushed into into the windshield opening from inside the car by one person........ then the rubber lip is pulled out and over the chrome trim around the windshield opening  by the 2nd person from outside the car using a small diameter cord.

There is no groove in the rubber for chrome trim like on later 1949 and on MoPars.

This is stated in the shop manual I believe.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:04 PM, c49er said:

As I recall the windheild stainless trim stays on the car even before the glass and rubber are installed as a unit.

The glass is installed into the rubber is pushed into into the windshield opening from inside the car by one person........ then the rubber lip is pulled out and over the chrome trim around the windshield opening  by the 2nd person from outside the car using a small diameter cord.

There is no groove in the rubber for chrome trim like on later 1949 and on MoPars.

This is stated in the shop manual I believe.

On mine it is actually installed in the rubber. I installed the rear window this way and tried to see if the front went in the way you said and it will not. Same as the rear the rubber, it is installed as you said, then the stainless is inserted into the slit in the rubber after the window is in. 

The stainless mounts to the front body pinch weld before the rubber and glass are installed.

Hate to say it but maybe your  is wrong. Normally I would never say that....

The factory Chrysler manual should state the proper way to install the 46-48 Chrysler glass and rubber as shown below.

The chrome is pressed onto the pinch weld first and lays under the rubber lip partially exposed.

1946-48 Chrysler C38 C39 Windshield Install Notes (1).JPG

1946-48 Chrysler C38 C39 Windshield Install Notes (2).JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)