Dave@Moon

Pilor Ray lamp wiring 1929 Packard

I am putting together a wiring harness for a customer's 1929 Packard 640 roadster project.  The car came in with Pilot Ray lamps, but the original wiring harness was so cobbled as to be useless in trying to trace what was originally there.

Can someone please tell me how these lights were normally wired in when installed at the dealer?  Did they have a separate switch, or were they wired to the cowl lights and/or headlamps?  Thanks!

You have several options. Separate switch such as the push-pull from Restoration Supply (Part ELE159). That is a 3/8 through hole method. The benefit is the knob is 10-32 thread where if you wanted to be real crazy, you could turn your own knob to match other knobs. But you may not want to drill into the dash. Another mounting for the the same switch is an adapter bracket on the bottom edge of the dash to accomplish the same. A nice touch is lettering on the knob that says PILOT RAY. Another alternative is to use a relay and tap the high beam circuit to illuminate the Pilot Ray.   Thought I saw someone (Don Summer??) offering specialized switches with lettering. its a nice touch.

Thanks!B)  I was getting conflicting information from suppliers and other sources.  It'll be some time before we're looking into a switch but I needed to get the harness started asap..

They use a lot of amps, be sure to grab the power where it wont cause an undervolt or overload. I often see electric fuel pumps wired to the ignition.......very bad idea. I think the Packard would look much better without the extra lights.

• Like 1

I just rebuilt and installed fog lights on my '41 Buick Limited using a vintage headlight relay:

Also, holy crap, it's Dave@Moon! How have you been? Good to see your name again.

Just was looking at one last weekend with armor coat wiring, it looked nice. 

I tend to agree with "edinmass" after putting Tripp lights on my cars, I have been taking them off.  The accessories clutter up the clean lines of the car. 

• Like 2

I have a '29 Packard roadster with a single Pilot Ray light that was on the car when I bought it. This car is my driver on Glidden Tours, and I like having the Pilot Ray because occasionally I do drive the car at night. These old cars need all the light they can get. Oddly enough, the best lights on any of my cars are on the 1919 Locomobile -- the oldest of the bunch.