A Philly Weekend of Emotional Highs and Lows!

R W Burgess

Things have been a little stressful in Wayne’s World lately, so I was looking forward to the Annual Meeting this year, connecting with old friends and making new ones. Our Board Meeting went very well, as we met the new 2018 members of the AACA Board and went over the 2017 yearly review. The Trade Show was busy again this year, although the show cars were having issues getting placed because of the delayed Eagles Parade in town. Talking about issues, just getting to the hotel this year was tough, as some had to walk a couple blocks to the hotel as the streets were closed off. :blink:

Back to the fun stuff, Mike Jones did a wonderful job of setting up everything, our rooms, committee salons, and other needed weekend schedules. We had some new seminar presenters this year. I won’t go over them but I was able to take in a few of them. Of course one struck too close to home as I sat and listened to the Garages, Good, Bad, and Ugly. It was depressing as they showed us different garages that needed “cleanups”.  A Low! My problem? I personally have 3 garages and two large storage trailers that need serious attention. Sometimes you don’t need to be reminded of a Truth! :(

I always look forward to the hospitality rooms late in the evening, a chance to chill out, meet old friends, and discuss the problems of the world. I also sleep very well after stopping by each night. Friday I had met a new friend during the day while waiting for our DFer meet and greet. He, Steve?, was waiting for a friend and as we struck up a conversation, the word Pendulum, as described in a book of the same name. It concerned the We/Me world that I had never thought of before, well not in that way at any rate. As I shared this new thinking in Wayne’s World with other friends, other similar things came to light from Hitler, to the Roman Empire, all the way back to Biblical times. Even my very religious friend helped explain some of it to me one night. Enlightening. A High! :)

One morning a couple of friends described the tax problems of their state,  An $8,000.00 home property tax bill from one friend’s state, and another who also had an education tax attached to his yearly state tax requirements. A Low for them, another High for me. I never loved Virginia so much. :D

That night I found some of my rowdy friends sitting around a table in the Ballroom area. I fit right in, especially when Tommy told us about his race car passing him on the highway one day way back when. This race car had no driver, since it was supposed to be tied down on his trailer. Whoa! The patrons in the local restaurant were really interested in what was going on outside as Tommy had to get the car back on the trailer. I know the feeling Tommy, as I have had things pass me too, things that are supposed to be attached, like antique car wheels. There were other wild stories too, since I was sitting with Bull Run and Richmond Region friends, what else could there be? Another High! :P

I mentioned the Saturday afternoon business meeting in another thread. Let’s just say though that when “Steve” suggested that the Board wear green jackets like mine from now on, the room roared in laughter. Some of my friends are a little broken……kind of like me, I guess!?? Another High!:)

Let’s go to the Awards Banquet, where so many friends that I know won awards. Friends like Lief, Donna, Kim, and those two Raines winners. Speaking of Raines: I can’t remember Sharon’s granddaughter’s name but I had met her in Charlotte at the Spring meet about 2 years ago at the Judge’s Breakfast. She had beautiful red highlights in her hair that year. (She said Saturday night that they were blue?) Anyway, I told her 2 years ago, I would have highlights in  my hair the next time I saw her. Of course being Wayne, I “fussed” at her Saturday night by telling her that I had looked for her the next year with the red highlights in MY hair, but she never showed up. I got that smile when I added that it took 3 months for my hair to look “normal” again!! By the way, she won a College Scholarship award Saturday night, well done, Miss Raines. 

That about wraps up my story for now. If I think of anything else I’ll add it later. Please put your stories here too.

I must say this year’s meeting was a lot of fun for me. You guys that didn’t make it, please plan to come next year.

Wayne

• Like 3

Wayne,

It is always fun catching up with you. I am glad that we were able to have a few really nice conversations this year in Philly. I am sorry that you resigned from the board, but understand that family and your business have to come first. Thank you for all of your hard work on the board. I was wondering why the trade show did not have many cars on display this year and glad that I got there late enough on Thursday night not to have any problems getting to the hotel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Cars missing from the trade show were due to new regulations by the fire marshal and people not wanted to deal with the Eagles parade issues.  Very unfortunate as we had a nice selection coming.

They were VERY nice Steve. Thanks to the owners that braved those crowds.

Wayne-

We had to miss this year. Always enjoy Philadelphia when we can make it. I would have liked to have seen the Eagles parade and all too.

Thanks for sharing your trip highlights!

I expect I'll see you around soon.

YES, you will Mr. Fuhrman!! :)

• Like 1