1960 Electra 225 "flat-top", TX. car since new

Pete Phillips

One-family owned since new, Arlington, Texas car since new, 101,000 miles, working factory A/C, power windows, power seat, power antenna, AM radio, steering & brakes, mechanic-owned since new, runs fine, 401 V-8, recent tires, paint & upholstery correctly restored about 15 years ago; no rust, no dents, Silver award in 400-point judging at BCA 2004 national meet, always garaged, driveable anywhere, selling it for the wife of the recently deceased owner/BCA member. Located in Fort Worth, Texas suburb. $19,995. Currently licensed and inspected. Engine compartment could use some detailing for show. Contact Pete Phillips if seriously interested; can send more photos. Will be advertised in March Bugle magazine; this is a preview/early ad for forum members. You will look long and hard to find a nicer one with a known pedigree like this one has.

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Did you see the price on the lavender '59 Electra flat-top in last month's and this month's Bugle classifieds? Insane price, and it sold (nearly three times the price of this one!). Went to Canada. The owner of this '60 saw that ad and is convinced we have this '60 priced too low. I disagreed with her, but that kind of #$)(*#$ makes it difficult for me and others to put a reasonable price on similar cars. I think we have this one reasonably priced, given what she has spent to get the factory A/C working, on top of the paint, chrome, and interior work that was done to this one some years ago. Plus, you have the single-family ownership of this one, and always a local car.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Did you see the price on the lavender '59 Electra flat-top in last month's and this month's Bugle classifieds? Insane price, and it sold (nearly three times the price of this one!)

I didn't see that, but for that kind of money the car had to be concours quality.

13 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Did you see the price on the lavender '59 Electra flat-top in last month's and this month's Bugle classifieds? Insane price, and it sold (nearly three times the price of this one!). Went to Canada. The owner of this '60 saw that ad and is convinced we have this '60 priced too low. I disagreed with her, but that kind of #$)(*#$ makes it difficult for me and others to put a reasonable price on similar cars. I think we have this one reasonably priced, given what she has spent to get the factory A/C working, on top of the paint, chrome, and interior work that was done to this one some years ago. Plus, you have the single-family ownership of this one, and always a local car.

I did see that 59 Electra go for insane cash.   I would say it went to someone who really, really, really wanted the 59.   The price of this 60 I think is on par.  History is good.  Care looks even better.   Appears fully loaded(for what fully loaded was at the time).   If I had a bigger garage and larger checkbook......sigh...... 

A good Buick will stay pretty nice for about 50 years without needing major attention. Right now those are approaching 60 years old and some major items (expenses) are going to be inevitable. That is the separation point where survivors begin some level of restoration. Does anyone remember the restored 1956 chassis in Flint at the 100th Anniversary, 50 years old and previous to that not many '56's had gone to that level. It confirmed some of my thoughts back then.

I think the price of the car listed here is very much in line with the value. There is usually a shortfall between what a buyer assumes they are getting and what they actually get. A $6,000 to $8,000 '59 or '60 Buick is going to have a whole lot of 60+ years old parts that are "out of sight, out of mind". I bought my car back in "02 for $850 and every year since then I have done a relatively large job on some non-cosmetic part of the car. Important stuff with attention to detail. Like when I redid the radiator; the core and tanks were painted with radiator paint and the brackets got a coat of polyurethane satin black separately. That effort goes unnoticed when sorting the classified ads by price. Price is very objective.

Bernie

11 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

A good Buick will stay pretty nice for about 50 years without needing major attention. Right now those are approaching 60 years old and some major items (expenses) are going to be inevitable. That is the separation point where survivors begin some level of restoration.  

Bernie

Concur.  The 60 I purchased, with just over 32k on the ticker, I replaced the heater core/valve.  Was good when I picked it up.  Started leaking soon after.  Rubber bushings/shocks/coil springs required replacing.  Carb rebuilt.  It is inevitable for sure.   But I expected it so having to make the repairs was anticipated.          

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

A good Buick will stay pretty nice for about 50 years without needing major attention. Right now those are approaching 60 years old and some major items (expenses) are going to be inevitable. That is the separation point where survivors begin some level of restoration. Does anyone remember the restored 1956 chassis in Flint at the 100th Anniversary, 50 years old and previous to that not many '56's had gone to that level. It confirmed some of my thoughts back then.

I think the price of the car listed here is very much in line with the value. There is usually a shortfall between what a buyer assumes they are getting and what they actually get. A $6,000 to $8,000 '59 or '60 Buick is going to have a whole lot of 60+ years old parts that are "out of sight, out of mind". I bought my car back in "02 for $850 and every year since then I have done a relatively large job on some non-cosmetic part of the car. Important stuff with attention to detail. Like when I redid the radiator; the core and tanks were painted with radiator paint and the brackets got a coat of polyurethane satin black separately. That effort goes unnoticed when sorting the classified ads by price. Price is very objective.

Bernie

Your white Buick Electra is a beutiful , much better than this one and the care invested would reflect in value 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

This Pearl Fawn 1960 Electra 225 is a beautiful car, and the pricing seems right to me.  I only wish I could bring it home.

With regard to the Lido Lavender 1959 Electra 225, it did sell, but not for the full asking price.  That car had been restored for maximum "bling" effect.  There's no doubt that it was a great car, but the car was originally built as an Arctic White car.  Personally, I regard the car's original color and color codes to be part of a car's history, so that car's color change was a negative factor for me.  Regardless, I'm quite certain that the transaction price set a new record for the sale of a closed body 1959 Buick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Lots of times collateral costs are not figured in.

This picture doesn't even show the living room carpet, couch, and loveseat that went into this job.

… nor the endless hours of scrapping, degreasing, cleaning, reassembly, losing of parts, finding of parts … setting up shop equipment, hoses, airlines, compressors, tools, shelving  and the lists goes on … 

11 hours ago, Centurion said:

the car was originally built as an Arctic White car.  Personally, I regard the car's original color and color codes to be part of a car's history, so that car's color change was a negative factor for me.

I agree.  I wouldn't even consider a car that had a color change unless I got it cheap enough to factor in changing it back.

• Like 1