g-g-g0

Hudson Museum Closing Controversy

5 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Nowhere does it say how many cars are in the Hostetler Collection, aside from the 22 that were overflow going to the Gilmore. 25? 100? Or if it´s the only Hudson Museum in the country. Some states have museum accession/deaccession laws, which could affect the ability to disperse any artifacts. Well, they waited 11 or 12 months(after the donor died) to move on the collection. The Town Center being sold off sounds strange, too. Is the investment company that bought it wanting the museum to go, and will they get bigger digs or make a buck off it?

I'd guess there are between 40 and 50 cars at the museum.

What's sad about this is Hostetler donated $1 million in property and money to the city. Had the money gone to the Gilmore to begin with, there would probably be a nice building and funds to maintain the cars.

Here's a picture to give you a sense of what's there. Hudson1.thumb.JPG.6a5893826300d48375701feea22a5912.JPG

Buick64C,

Thanks for the nice photo. I like the brick floor and the black town car. Must be a 1930 LeBaron Great Eight. Back on June 29th, the Great Race stopped at the Hostetler Hudson Museum in Shipshewana, and an article in The Goshen News said there were 50 cars inside. 

59558776e257b.image.jpg

photo: Roger Schneider and The Goshen News , 7/5/17

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:49 AM, Mikefit said:

Wouldn't it be cool if all bidders if and when they have an auction all bidders would agree to not bid over say $500.00 for each car. Would be a wake up call for the town fathers LOL

I remember that happening in those farmers' foreclosure auctions back in the '80's when all a particular farmer's friends from nearby would purposely cap their bids at a lowball amount so the banks would receive next to nothing.  Sometimes when that happened, the bank walked away, leaving the destitute farmer remaining with his goods.

Craig

• Like 2

On 2/1/2018 at 2:32 PM, Gunsmoke said:

So often well intentioned municipal officials, for either political of emotional reasons take on projects that are bound to be losers in the long term.

I here they got an extension on the federal budget. Maybe municipalities should be consider "gateway" projects.

Buick64C,

Thanks for the photos of the Hudson Town Car, the ute, and the dual cowl phaeton. I must say, Murphy did a great job on the coachwork back in ´28.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

If they lost $100,000 last year, why not just sell $200,000 worth of cars and keep it going for another year?

That's the common man's sensible way of looking at things.  Now put on your governmental glasses and look at it in their eyes.  

Besides the one article touted a 5 year shortfall of something like 500G to 1.5 million.  That's quite a "range"  

I also thought the town center that housed it,  was to be used for festivals and other events.  Were they charging anything for any of those events,  or was the museum suppose to cover everything?   

2 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

If they lost $100,000 last year, why not just sell $200,000 worth of cars and keep it going for another year?

Actually, the article I linked to in Posting #7 mentioned that the

museum lost $150,000 a year in fees from the innkeeper's tax.

It sounds to me as if the Hostetlers had worked everything out,

having thought about the funding to keep the museum going.

(Who would set up a showing of his prides and joys and overlook funding?)

However, I gather that the town didn't appreciate the museum and took 

away that main funding source, using questionable reasoning. 

Then the town stacked the museum board so they would have

a needed 3/4 majority vote to disband.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Several years ago I took my East Coast Chapter of the Durant Motors Automobile Club to this museum. What a great place, cars displayed excellently and everyone had a great time.  I have to agree with several on this forum that the town isn't much of a town at all and really looks like an intersection in the middle of nowhere.  Afterwards took the group to a small restaurant not far from the museum for lunch and across the street was a grocery store with about a dozen Amish carriages lined up, I guess doing their shopping.  I presume that the problem is not the museum like someone said but that they attached to to a type of convention center which I'm sure did not get the traffic they hoped for to pay the cost. I don't think there is even a motel in that town for that matter.  The Durant Motors Automobile Club is looking to build their museum at the Gilmore and too bad someone didn't buy this collection as a whole or donate these cars to that effort and build a Hudson museum there.  It's the best bang for the buck really and a great place to have a museum. Really ashame these cars are going to be broke up and scattered to the wind!

Eldon left the Amish faith. The Amish community probably didn't want the cars but Eldon prevailed. Eldon passes on, Amish have the last say. 

I have been to the museum and the Gilmore museum with the National Plymouth club. They are awesome. It is too bad that it will be selling off the cars. I know it would be nice to donate your old vehicle to a museum for people to look and appreciate it.  I have been told by our local museum if there is not a lot of interest in a specific vehicle anymore because of change of interest of vehicles that they would sell off some inventory to keep the museum funded. It would be a shame for the family members to see the sell off.

But they are $5,000,000. ahead ( valued at the price when built) when they sold the building they got for free.

Sorry I forgot they probably squandered  it already.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

But they are $5,000,000. ahead ( valued at the price when built) when they sold the building they got for free.

Sorry I forgot they probably squandered  it already.

The building was paid for by selling bonds. I believe the town claimed the sale of the building covered the outstanding debt. So while they didn’t get the building for free, they seem to have been made whole when it was sold. I said above that I thought the town acted with good intentions. Giving it more thought, I still think they did initially. But if pocket the money from the sale of the cars, I don’t believe that will still hold true.  The honorable thing to do would be to make sure the town is not left with a burden from this situation, but also not profit from it. 

On 2/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Actually, the article I linked to in Posting #7 mentioned that the

museum lost $150,000 a year in fees from the innkeeper's tax.

The innkeeper tax was reinstated. It was removed when it was believed the bonds were paid off. But when it came to light the bonds were refinanced, it was put back in place.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

One of those times I wish I had really deep pockets.  It's been mentioned numerous times, but this collection so belongs at the Gilmore Museum complex.

Yes, it's good that these cars will get back in the hands of collectors, and of course some will go to other museums, but wouldn't it be nice if a deep pocket guy stepped in and bought them all, moving them to the Gilmore.

Oh well, if wishes were horses beggars would ride and all that.....

• Like 1

Very little has been written here of the town's

maneuvering, which to me seems underhanded.

They stopped giving the innkeeper's tax, which had been

specifically allocated to the museum.  They "packed"

the board with an extra member who, they probably

knew, would vote with them to end the museum.

Skulduggery;  chicanery;  collusion;  probable dishonesty.

To me, that describes the problems at the Hostetler museum.

Eldon Hostetler was a successful, honest, and humble man,

whereas I think some involved acted in an opposite manner.

It's NOT merely a case of another car museum suffering from

a lack of funds.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, Buick64C said:

The innkeeper tax was reinstated. It was removed when it was believed the bonds were paid off. But when it came to light the bonds were refinanced, it was put back in place.

Mr. Buick, now that you mentioned it, I did see a Hemmings

article that mentioned the reinstatement of the revenue

from the innkeeper's tax;  but it also said the reinstatement

was "too little, too late."  I wonder:  Was the amount

FULLY reinstated?  Did the town make up the shortfall

that occurred during that supposed interim period?

It's hard to believe that the town would "mistakenly"

end the museum's funding source without fully knowing

about the bonds.  It sounds to me that the town really had

the goal of killing off the museum at the forefront of their thoughts.

I still smell dishonesty, or AT LEAST a total

lack of good faith on the part of the town fathers.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, Buick64C said:

Jeff,

Here's a few more. The Town Car has a Murphy Body.

Murphy.JPG

Town.JPG

Pickup.JPG

Open.JPG

What is behind this car? Color is kinda charcoal/greenish. Looks preety sleek.