Note From the Administrator Of The AACA (and this) Forum.

Peter Gariepy

For those that don't know me, I am the forum administrator and head moderator of the AACA forums. I helped built and maintain  this forum as my contribution to our great hobby! With that said, I try to keep a low profile around here. I suspect virtually none of you know me, or care for that matter. That's perfectly ok with me. 

Recently however I've had my integrity and motives questioned.  I want to set the record straight. A few facts:

• I started these forums for the AACA in 1998. (yes, 20 years ago)
  • I added the BCA forum (including Reatta) in 1999.  (at the request of them BCA President Al Eichelberger) . (sp?)
  • I've maintained these forums FREE in all that time including 4 major upgrades, 6 server platforms, and countless minor updates, changes and additions.
  • In all the years of running these forums I've banned only a handful of people (not including spammers)

Side note:  I'm also the webmaster (paid) for www.reatta.org and www.buickclub.org

For those of you who feel I am in the wrong, I encourage you contact me. If you'd like to speak directly with my bosses you can find them here:  Antique Automobile Club of America - Board of Directors.

For those that have supported me in the most recent activity in the Reatta forums - THANK YOU! 

Peter Gariepy

AACA Forum Administrator and Moderator

520-247-5918

petergariepy@gmail.com

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I must have missed something but... that really doesn't matter. I have seen your name a few times while perusing this web site. I don't know you nor have I ever corresponded with you but I'm glad you're here doing what you do.  I just wanted to say thank you for all your work to start up and keep this GREAT forum going. I find the AACA forum to have a wealth of information with many many people who are very knowledgeable and willing to share and help solve problems. That's across all the different makes of cars and in the general discussion forum.

• Thanks 1

I am aware of an issue of improper behavior that occurred three times in the recent months. The action takes was in accordance with the rules and while distasteful, I support Peter's (and other's) decision.

Peter is one of the greatest assets we have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jon, I never minded 89RDGs "different opinion" of any of my comments, but he minded anyone who had an opinion different then his or suggested that his information was not correct. Then he would attack viciously. There were a number of posters that were intimidated by him and stopped posting. He was so reckless he even attacked Moderators.

Hopefully a lot of the posters who left will come back and try us again.

Regarding the information he was providing us with, most of it were links off Youtube or the like. Thanks to Ronnie's efforts to archive solutions to common issues we can address most of the common issues with tested procedures specific to our cars. There are still a few "surprises" but there are enough  forum members with experience and knowledge to fix them as well.

I don't like to see guys banned but in this case I believe it was warranted. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 63viking said:

It seems as though anyone with a different opinion is "Banned".

We lost a good source of info with that banning.

I'm just saying.

• This forum is filled with people with different opinions. Your implication is that people get banned for it.  Your massive overgeneralization is wrong. Name one other person who has been banned, let alone banned for having "different" opinions.
  • If a member who is a "good source of info" can not be civil and follow the rules, he stops being a "good source".
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

For those that have supported me in the most recent activity in the Reatta forums - THANK YOU! 

You can count me among those who supported your recent decision concerning the Reatta forum. Making hard decisions is sometimes unpopular but you can rest assured that you did the right thing.

• Like 1

I generally hate to see someone get banned (aside from obvious spammers and trolls) but this is simple. All of us who joined and post here do so at the pleasure of the administrative staff of the AACA forum; their house, their rules, so to speak. Especially since the privilege of doing so is free. It might be different if a paid membership were involved but that isn't the case here.

I've been on here about 10 years, and never once have I felt moderation was heavy handed. Quite the opposite, compared to other places I used to post, moderation here is surprisingly "hands off" through generally it isn't needed all that much as the membership here is fairly laid back,  and I've see very few arguments shape up here that required intervention.

My larger point is that all anyone has to do is respect the house rules set forth by those who have graciously provided this forum at no cost to us, and they'll be fine. I wasn't privy to (nor did I witness) much of what apparenty caused this most recent incident, and it's a shame it shook out the way it did (just now coming to my attention via this thread) but I surmise there were bigger problems I didn't see that necessitated this outcome.

I too would like to take an opportunity to thank Peter and other AACA staff for providing this  board for our use, and keeping it running smoothly all these years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While this is out in the open, I would like to make a few comments about me being the new Reatta forum moderator.  If Peter thinks I'm hijacking his tread or he thinks it is inappropriate he can remove it.

I've received private messages and emails recently questioning why I have taken certain actions toward other members and why some posts have been moved or deleted. I have also been accused of harassment, cyber-bullying, and threatened with being brought into a law suit for my actions. All of it is unfounded.

For those of you who want to know "what I'm trying to do", I want to make it clear what I can (or think I can) and cannot do. First and foremost I'm trying to do what I can to make this forum a better place where we can all discuss the Buick Reatta without confrontation. I'm doing what I can to encourage forum members to participate in the forum and I'm trying to help anyone who has problems using the forum.

I'm only a moderator on the Reatta forum, and the Reatta Buy/Sell forum. Not any other forum. I have the least amount of authority here on the AACA that you can have (as far as I know) and that is the way I want it. I see myself as the "hall monitor" in school who has no authority but tries to maintain order while keeping everyone moving in the right direction.

Here is what I can do: Edit posts, hide post, move posts to new topics, and delete posts if needed to maintain the forum. I can also "Report Posts" to forum administrators when needed so they can take any action they deem necessary. There is a "Reports Post" link in the upper right corner of each post that any forum member can use when they see abusive or inappropriate behavior on the forum. I recommend you report posts that are abusive and leading to an argument before they get out of hand. I can help you with using the forum if you have a problem. Feel free to ask

Here is what I can't do: I cannot ban anyone at my discretion (other than spammers).  I don't want to have the authority to ban Reatta forum members. I can give a warning if needed but I don't anticipate that happening unless someone insists on being obnoxious. I want to be your friend on the forum. I will be glad to work with anyone to ensure the forum runs smoothly without arguments and controversy. The forum administrators and staff members have authority to ban forum members and if I think that is needed I will make recommendations to them.  The forum administrators don't take banning someone lightly. If you get banned from the forum, odds are you brought it on yourself by not following the rules that you agreed to when you signed up on the forum.

• Like 2

Let me add my 2 cents:

Moderator's Job

1. Keep forums on topic
  2. Keep forums civil
  3. Make sure people are following the rules of the forum

It's really that simple.

You as forum users need moderators to moderate.  As many of you have seen on other forums, lack of moderation leads to bad feelings, lack of participation and many times, the closure of the forum (and all its benefits).

I have stayed away from the forum for a few days thinking about this. The one thing that struck me was the banning seemed to be common knowledge to some but sort of "out of the blue" to me. I confess maybe I am somewhat single minded and don't pay a lot of attention to the back and forth that doesn't concern me, but I was aware RDG was in hot water on more than one occasion. It is unfortunate when this happens, but I value the forum plus the effort that goes into it and that trumps all.

The fact that I'm still here means our administrators and moderators are the most even-tempered and tolerant bunch of guys in the universe. My hat is off to each and every one of them for doing a thankless job and, as that would imply, largely receiving no thanks. Peter, you and I have met and I've enjoyed talking with you and your work here is always appreciated. The same goes for all the other volunteers who make this forum work. There aren't many other places that are this successful, this useful, and this inclusive that don't eventually implode after a few years. With the management we have here, I don't see that happening and that's a real testament to their dedication. So thanks for all that, all of you.

• Like 1

Bans are not typically discussed out in the open. In this case i felt compelled to justify my actions publicly due to a few individuals in particular taking it upon themselves to damn me for it, and accuse me of bias. The "noise" associated with this ban has pretty much gone away. 

In hindsight I should have banned him earlier.  The drama he created in the forum and elsewhere would have been a lot less has i just gone with my gut. But i hesitated in the hopes of being fair and balanced. The fact the that forum is humming along without him, and no one seems to be missing him pretty much says it all.

Peter

• Like 3

Peter and Ronnie,

As you can see many of us appreciate the jobs you both do for this forum.

Some people like Steve and 89 RDG just seem to push the wrong buttons too many times.

Thank you for making the tough decisions.  It makes life easier for the rest of us.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...