1950ish Chieftain

jchf3700

Looking for a restored or well kept original - not sure what sites and auctions to watch. Looking for some guidance. This was my grandfathers car - I can't tell what year model it was but hoping someone could help me there as well. Thats the only picture i have of it.

328464_251334728275479_1772356383_o copy.jpg

Looks like a 1950.  The grille wraps around the fender towards the wheel well on a 1950.  You can see the grille extending towards the wheel well on your grandfather's car.  I don't think a 1949 grille would be visible when photographed from the rear 3/4 view in your photo.

• Like 1

I'm still searching the internet for cars - seeing some in various conditions from 10k - 25k - top end supposedly restored originals. What reading, books can I invest in to educate my self on serial numbers and other things to help me do some fact checking on the validity of some of these claims? Is there a service that I can use or a person who inspects Pontiacs that any of you reccomend?

Thanks again - I can see how this easily can start to become an obsession.... but a fun one.

Sometimes the hunt/ /chase is more fun than actually owning it.   Not discouraging though.  Honestly on these cars you don't really have to worry much about matching numbers or anything of that type as that has little effect on it's value unless you are buying a survivor car in really nice condition,  then you might want to verify everything really is original.  

There are several companies that can do inspections.  Some much better than others.  I'm sure some here can help in recommending ones they have been happy with.  The best bet is to look at it yourself if possible.  if you are not a real hardcore car guy though,  you might want to bring someone along who is, just to make sure you don't buy any surprises.  

Do you have a price range you want to be in?  What state are you located in?  That will help us try to recommend cars in your area if we run across them. 

As mentioned in many threads.  Buy the best car you can up front.

• Like 1

@auburnseeker Thanks for the advise. I'm in Maryland, near Annapolis. I don't really have a threshold on the purchase price but want to get a good value that even it it doesn't appreciate in value I can turn it back into cash if needed reasonably quickly ( 6 months ). I can repair most anything but I wouldn't call myself a hardcore car guy.... I've down top end rebuild, brakes, clutches, transmission replacements, wheel bearing, simple stuff. It's been years though since then and never on a pre 1970s auto. It would probably be a good idea to find a mechanic and body guy around here I could trust to do some if any of the work that might be needed.

Look forward to hearing back

I'll keep an eye out and pass anything along.  I honestly don't recall seeing any for sale in the recent past. Especially a 1950 2 door fastback.  You honestly don't see a lot of this era Pontiacs for sale at all.  I know they are out there,  they just don't turn up with a lot of frequency.  I like the 40's Pontiacs and you rarely see any of those for sale.  Chevy, now that's a whole different story.

I have been told the 8 is a good road car.  I'm not sure how the 6 compares.