Grizz

New guy, old car

These Carter WCD carburetors have metering rods and when you are rebuilding them those rods need to be properly adjusted.  Carter put out tools to do this very adjustment.  The tools are still out there but you have look for them.  I stumbled across and bought a complete set of Carter tools which include the metering tools at a swap meet.  You may try ebay or there's a guy who posts here on these AACA forums goes by the name 'carb king' and he could probably set you up the appropriate tools and he's very knowledgeable.  Whey buying a rebuild kit for your carburetor make sure it is compatible with today's ethanol fuels.  Also you should get a gallon can of carburetor cleaner.  It is paint can sized and you dip the carburetor parts in it and it does a nice job.

That Carter book/binder you have is nice thing to have.  I am not sure what it encompasses but a good OEM manual by Carter is very helpful.  Originality is king - Keep the faith!

Hey Grizz, you sound a lot like me! I'm 57 and still feel like a whipper snapper here! Only worked on cars in the 70's & 80's. I learn as I go and listen to these veterans. I picked up a '54 StarChief straight 8 last summer and still plugging away with her. Like you, she's staying original. Never thought I'd say this but I actually like the 4 door. The thing I love most of this car is it's simplicity. The guys here are fantastic and CPR can supply you with whatever you need. Some fellows can direct you to used parts guys too. You're gonna find things you've never heard of like me. My left rear drum has reverse threads. My front brake drum dust caps have "static springs" in them. The engine has a cooling "distribution tube." The best was the steering column with no park. These were all strange to me. My gas tank was resealed once and was completely gross. The sending unit was a stick of rust. I couldn't find a new one but the local shop soldered up the holes and resealed it. With a new sending unit inside of course. I got lucky and found a running Pontiac in decent shape. I pick away at it over the winter months as a hobby. Be patient and not overwhelmed. I started with fixing a leak under the timing chain cover and before you know it had the engine bay gutted, then painted it with the original colour engine enamel from Bill Hirsh. Dang looks good. Good luck and enjoy that piece of history!

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6495.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG

• Like 1

I love the white! I been down with rain and caring for my in laws in Georgia. I plan on doing some organizing and cleaning today. There are still some things in the car that need to be sorted out. I’ll probably get to vacuuming the inside out. I went to a swap meet last week and found the clock for the middle dash speaker. I have three speakers and no clock that I know of. The guy lives close by and I got his # if I can’t find it one in the boxes of parts. $40 is a good price right? I have put a hold on cleaning these carbs until after I talk to the “carb king”. I checked out the link. (Thanks) and I like the fact that they don’t answer questions through email only over the phone. All that talk about metering rods makes me want to make sure I’m not over looking anything. Still planning on getting the steering wheel installed and brakes set up first since it will hopefully have to be moved up the hill to the garage which is in the first stages of being built. How cool would it be if I could move it on it’s own by then?? I know, I know. Baby steps. Also talked to the DMV about getting a title for it. The guy sounded like it was no big deal. He said bring pictures of the car and the vin#. Wonder if pics from 1979 are acceptable???

Thanks....it's actually Biloxi Beige with Winter White roof. Unfortunately not original but pretty close. Wasn't a fan of the engine colour but it grew on me. Up here in Canada any vehicle 20+ years or older now need to be appraised. Found this out 3 years ago when I picked up a sweet '92 GMC conversion van to restore. What a pain rule now. No more $100 sales slips. Damn taxman. Anywho, ya got me thinking about originality and took a pic of this. Found it in the glove box. 64 years later here she sits in my garage.

IMG_6854.JPG

• Like 2

ok! It has been raining non stop here for weeks. Haven’t been able to carve out a lot of time but here is where i stand. I have yet to join a club. I have an email and phone # for the president of POCI. I have a membership form for early times that I will mail today. (Promise!) I now have a shop manual. I have gone through the three carburetors and have found one that will work for now. I need to call the carb king to see about the tool to adjust the metering rod. Does anyone know what that looks like?? What else should I ask about while I have them on the horn? I’m going to work on the ignition system next. I have briefly inspected the two caps and buttons and they don’t show any signs of major corrosion. I did notice on the condenser inside one of the caps a bunch of little metal shavings magnetically attached.... is this normal? I think I will need help connecting all the wires, battery, starter, ignition coil, and all the grounds. Cross that bridge this weekend hopefully. I have been cleaning the steering gear and column.id like to get all that in the car pretty soon so I can move it around. Also there is a huge void where a plate bolts up around the column and I’m afraid of critters will be snooping around in my car! I have a question on how this pitman arm fits into this crossmember. I took some shots. It looks like the ball fits into a spot on this cross bar.3100A9C1-B9EA-4FCA-B131-CA1296EF4C7C.thumb.jpeg.bcbcc8ac3d75bfdaff7c825518f87058.jpegand then is tightened by screwing down the endCA844FBF-7282-479F-942E-CB957D665E85.thumb.jpeg.01e491d19df359da7fc702da76ca605f.jpegis this right?! Or am I missing something? Also where the steering gear bolts to the frame? There are 3 bolts. I have two. Are they all the same length? I have also added some before and after shots of the column. Thanks y’all!

B7BD91FF-6368-4D16-8F5D-85D87C409094.jpeg

F3FB0A76-3D73-4B68-80FC-A680116CBF10.jpeg

FA46197B-F46E-48C9-B69C-BF297BFF74F1.jpeg

5E02C1A3-4EF4-4E28-AE5B-B78837A3A717.jpeg

6E24F7C4-4B02-4868-873B-8085D5E897C7.jpeg

47D17821-812D-4A59-BB1D-0ED99310C94C.jpeg

Here is a diagram and a photo.  If you remove the plug from the end of the shaft you will find a giant glob of grease and can pull out two plugs with half round indentations in them to receive the ball socket.  There will be another plug and a spring to put tension on everything.  Clean it all out and reinstall as shown in the diagram, NOTE there is a metal cover and spring on the ball socket to seal it all up, make sure you have that and it covers the hole completely.  Good luck, Todd C

SteeringLinkage.jpg

StarResto 013.jpg

Great, awesome, spectacular. Thanks!!!! I’ll tell you one thing right off the bat after looking at that picture. I think I’m missing all the covers I believe you mentioned (Part #6.886) the tie rods and idler arm seem pretty loose. are those cover something I can order from my parts catalog? I’m used to having everything handed to me over a counter at O’reilys. I’ll pull this joker off, clean it grease it and get back with you. I also have to dig around these boxes and find the bracket that hangs the steering column under the dash. Any pictures of that and the hardware just so I know what I’m looking for? Thanks again for all the help. We’re just getting started folks!!!

I've used and saved a few parts diagrams from http://www.pontiacsafari.com/index.html. My advice to do a lot of digging on the internet for what you can. Save it in a folder for reference. Also keep coming here of course. You're lucky you have an O'reillys, I usually stump my local guys here in Canada. Most everything is from California Pontiac Restoration. Another word of advice, if you can't find what you are looking for in their parts book, give them a call. It's happened to me before. They're not the quickest at returning emails if you can't wait but they are pretty quick to ship. Good Luck!

22 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

I've used and saved a few parts diagrams from http://www.pontiacsafari.com/index.html

(use) California Pontiac Restoration.....if you can't find what you are looking for in their parts book, give them a call. It's happened to me before. They're not the quickest at returning emails if you can't wait but they are pretty quick to ship.

See another diagram below, all from the parts manuals posted in the "Garage" section of www.pontiacsafari.com .  This is an invaluable resource kindly posted by a friend of mine in California. 

Dealing with parts will require research on your part and the big box stores will be of limited help.  Dealing with the factory parts manual works like this:  note the number of the part in the diagram above, say it is 6.886.  You would then go to section 6 and look up group 6.886 and make sure it is what you are looking for, in this case Cover, Steering Connecting Rod Dust.  Then look up the part number from that section, in this case say 5663589.  The California Pontiac website ( www.pontiacparts.net ) has an "NOS" (new old stock) lookup and it shows they have these covers, although they do not show the associated spring in section 6.888.  This is a lot of boring data but can become immensely useful as you go along, enjoy, Todd C 

SteeringColumn.jpg

• Like 1

I found the lower bracket for this steering column. So I’m ready to install. I need to do this soon because I found the cat that lives outside sleeping in the car! I have a question about the pedal plate. The one I found looks like it was glued down or is that from the old carpet?. What kind of hard ware do I need,and it looks like mine has a spot for a clutch pedal? I’m guessing the side with the paint worn off is the inside? I hope to try and start the motor this weekend. We’ll see what the weather is doing. Thanks for the helpimage.thumb.jpg.bd1ad8c364b94d94fd63cee021f296db.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1a940f69001fd474f56ca61a6763bb41.jpg

I took my plate off like 10 months ago and they've been sitting in a bag ever since. I barely remember but I have 2 plates. The bottom one goes on top of the one above. I think they may sandwich between the floorboards. I won't find out until it goes back and that'll be last on my list. My memory ain't what it used to be, hope this helps. 

IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6908.JPG

Thank you!!! Looks like I need to do some more digging through all these parts. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing the top plate. I was making sense of the wiring harness yesterday. It was pretty brittle and I can’t tell what the colors are supposed to be but I got the starter, generator, ign. Coil and switch all wired up. Doing this I noticed something I wasn’t prepared for. The 6volt system! What are you running? Should I convert to 12volts or just track down a 6volt battery? 

I'm with Alfre. I was able to get the original 6 volt battery that fits in the battery tray perfectly locally. Think tractors use them. Even it's a beast to behold! I read that 6 volt systems are reliable as long as the connections are clean. I had a blast learning about them, things like "polarizing" the generator. My ride is staying original. Read, read, read and search Grizz. I didn't know sh** about these cars before I got mine. The internet and this forum will be your best resources. Cheers!

23941.jpg

Grizz, check your battery cables for thickness.  6V needs 0 or 00 gauge cables, rather than the smaller cables for 12V.  And 6V connections must be clean as summershandy says.  Connections other than to the battery posts can be enhanced with star washers under the connections.

Great. Great. Great. Gotta find a battery. Also the wires are pretty decrepit. After I hear this thing run a new wiring harness is in store. I found this site that has these old cloth tracered wires and complete harnesses. I think I LL try and save money and spend some time doing one wire at a time. Any thoughts, feelings, insults?

Most definitely the motor first. I would put in as little money as you had to and mostly work to see if it's worth it. Maybe someone who's done rewiring can chime in. If I had the money I would def go with prewired. Did that with my brake lines. Didn't want the hassle of  "hoping" I didn't kink a line or mess up a flare. Of course wiring would be a different story. I've been lucky so far, mine are hardened but still insulated. 

2 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Did that with my brake lines. Didn't want the hassle of  "hoping" I didn't kink a line or mess up a flare

I can order complete brake lines?? I don’t have a problem making my own but I was wondering how exactly I would route them since I have nothing to go off of. I haven’t got this far but it’s been in the back of my head. if I hear the motor run I’ll go ahead and do the fuel tank and lines and pump. Then I’ll do the brakes. Which should just consist of the master cylinder and lines. I’m pretty sure the drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders have all been done. They look new from the outside and Especially since I lugged home  a heavy barrel full of the old stuff (which didn’t look bad). Thanks for all the help! A plan is forming in my mind. Just needs a little execution 

You have your original lines? Just remove them and copy them. Kind of a technique as you go along I tape every couple feet. I had to do a couple mods with the ones I got. They were a little too long and ends were bent wrong. Overall I'm happy with them. Got them all hooked up to the junction block today. Have you gotten a parts catalogue from California Pontiac Restoration yet? They should ship you one no charge. As for the lines, I replaced my fuel line. Don't get a prebent one. It was simple to copy the original and only cost me $25 vs $125. I'm doing the complete brake system. My wheel cylinders were packed with mud. I don't even know how I stopped. Check out my fuel sending unit. It was seized and had no sock at the end of the line....hoping that's why my gas gauge didn't work! You don't even want to see a pic of the gas tank. 

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_6625.JPG

I’m pretty sure the brake lines are gone. The wheel cylinders are capped off and I got nothing in the way of booster or master cylinder on my fire wall. The fuel line is there ( I think). I haven’t really gotten underneath the car yet. Im waiting on my garage to be built so I can put it on a lift! I like working on cars, i do not like laying on my back in the driveway. Its hard to drink beer that way! 

Is your master cylinder not under the floor below where  your left foot would rest?

Hence the plates on the floorboard...master cylinder access. It's mounted on the frame.