philipj

Opinions re. Condition II

19 minutes ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Picture time! At 68 years I never use the hot rod TV car show slang  .... Badass!     but if I did.........white walls always remind me of cookie filling or cake frosting

IMG_20160903_111821.thumb.jpg.3891f0740fefa9e8aedd14daacf3ca46.jpg

IMG_20160903_111847.thumb.jpg.ad83cd7f6f4ad3f1e11dacfedcaf57a0.jpg

Great look! If I ever get a black car again....

Well thank you! despite being somewhat set in my ways sometimes, I do try to listen... Even with all the issues previously mentioned, I am glad to hear that I made a sound choice. My favorite part of the car which I could stare for hours on end are the headlamps, hood grille and fender curve...

Now Lawrence, thank you for posting the photos of your car with blackies... The car looks mean!  but also reminds me (again) of the Looney Toons cartoons where all the cars have balloon tires...:) Actually like the look. Are those 16" rims? I think it gives the car a sinister look, but I don't know what it will do to the 38... I will run what I have for a little while until I can fund the new tires... Then decide, white walls or not??

My (worth nothing!) 2 cents:

1. On my 1940 56S, I replaced the 4.44 rear pumpkin with a 3.6 and it goes just fine. Revs aren't as low as overdrive, but still cruises quite nicely at about 55.

2. I also put in a starter button under my dash that is wired in parallel with the accel vac switch. I also serviced the vac switch and tested it thoroughly so I am confident in its operation. But, it is nice to have the button in summer for hot starts, and certainly if you stall on a hill (otherwise you need 3 feet or you use the hand throttle if you have one).

3. philipj, you made a helluva deal, even if it takes some work for you to get comfortable with it. I am getting in the market for a '38 coupe, and I know I won't even approach what you did.

Cheers, Dave

1 hour ago, philipj said:

Well thank you! despite being somewhat set in my ways sometimes, I do try to listen... Even with all the issues previously mentioned, I am glad to hear that I made a sound choice. My favorite part of the car which I could stare for hours on end are the headlamps, hood grille and fender curve...

Now Lawrence, thank you for posting the photos of your car with blackies... The car looks mean!  but also reminds me (again) of the Looney Toons cartoons where all the cars have balloon tires...:) Actually like the look. Are those 16" rims? I think it gives the car a sinister look, but I don't know what it will do to the 38... I will run what I have for a little while until I can fund the new tires... Then decide, white walls or not??

All the 41 Century model cars ran 15 inch rims which were eventually standard on all models

Again, thank you.. You can second guess yourself when you're entering something completely new. I am anticipating that the work won't be easy, but it is going to be all right in the end... Guess I will keep the push button on the dash, it is not too bad at all. Boy all black tires do change the look of the car! 

I pulled up this old thread to let people know that there is a very nice feature about this car by Phillip in the latest Bugle (January 2019).  Phillip, the photos look great --you have really done a nice job of cleaning this car up as well as getting it sorted out mechanically.   (And the piece is very well-written, despite your disclaimer at the beginning.)  

• Like 1

Hello Neil, thank you! I am looking forward to the article and photos next month... In the meantime, I am taking my mother in law to a Glenn Miller concert this Wednesday in the car. She loves the music and the ride. No wonder, she is 93 and her father had a 36 Buick also!..:)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Such a nice son!  That sounds like a great outing for your mom-in-law.  You shouldn't have to wait until next month -- my copy of the January Bugle arrived last Thursday.  It's also available on the BCA website in the "members only" area.

https://issuu.com/buickclub/docs/bugle_january2019_web?e=4749389/66470608

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Phillip:

Love the article.  If you are still planning on restoring the radio, please consider "Bill the Radio Guy".  He made my original radio bluetooth compatible and it has a hidden pigtail to keep your phone charged.  

I have since made playlists on my phone (or iPod....) with all the big bands...  Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman and some old radio shows....  It makes the ride so much fun!

Great job!

Gary

• Like 2

I also heartily endorse the idea of giving your radio an "invisible" upgrade so you can listen to your own music.  I also used "Bill the radio guy," but opted for the slightly less expensive choice of having him just add a hidden AUX jack instead of going the bluetooth route.  I ran a wire into the glovebox, and just hook my phone up and keep it in the glovebox.  As Gary says, it really enhances the ride to have your favorite period tunes booming out that big speaker in the center of the dash!

• Like 1

Hello Gary,

Thank you! I just received the magazine, the article looks great except for a minor typo... As for the radio, I really like the idea of having the right music... I have the radio installed, yet I have no idea of its condition. If your radio guy can make it  rain, it surely be nice! What is the approximate cost? I know shipping will be pricey because of the weight. As for the proper brackets, I just found a long piece approx. 8- 3/4 with another small 90 degree section, yet I feel there is something missing...I managed to install it with a home-made bracket for now but would like to have the right hardware in there...

radio bracket 1.JPG3.JPG

radio bracket 1.JPG2.JPG

radio bracket 1.JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

That is the correct  bracket.  The 90 degree top part attaches to the bolt that comes down from your rear hood hold-down bolt.  The serrated end allows you to adjust the rear up and down to get the face nice and flush before tightening it down.  

I think it was around $400 to completely restore the radio to blue tooth compatibility.

Great Article!!

Good to hear Gary and thank you for all the additional information... I just found this other photo of radio components by an Ebay seller. The one piece I do not have is on the very top of the photo...

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)