Zinc Dichromate

Curti

It’s a very dangerous chemical that does the treatment.  It’s usually only found in production work.  Currently there are no rebuilders offering the service that I know of.   I may know of one shop that does research work that could do it for you.  They have done it for me several times on a trade  basis where I fix their car and they do the service for me.  The gentleman who was at the shop retired,  and I  may have lost my contact to get it done.  Give me a call in the morning. Ed

• Like 1

Photos of a UU2 we had treated. There were hundreds of formulas to treat the metal, and all appear a little bit different from another. On Pierce Arrow carbs, they were painted, thus an exact match is not critical to the process, on less expensive cars, the carbs were installed as treated, and the finish changes and disappears over time. Thus, the finish on your Auburn would appear less green and more yellow than the photos I have posted, and the yellow is my understanding what the Auburn finish would look like, but I am NOT an expert on what Auburn used. Carbking is an expert on the finishes of ALL Stromberg carbs, and would be a good source to document what was used when, and on what models. Ed

7E4BC762-1E83-44A2-A19F-4D84C48514BE.png

CABC402D-BEAD-4E7D-ACA2-C77A1FEBB610.png

• Like 1

By the way, over the years the surface area of the carbs move.....ie shrink and warp, thus the carburetor MUST be remachined BEFORE treating it again. Ed

When we were still restoring carburetors, and did at least 500 units annually, we figured the actual average cost to us of approximately $300. per carburetor. Those using dull nickel or chrome plating a bit more.

I know of no company currently offering this service ala carte.

Possibly the Holley Custom Shop (they used to have the service, but the finish they used was current production finish which is incorrect for carbs produced before the 1970's). Years ago, one had to submit the parts through a company that had an account with Holley. I do not know their current policy.

Stromberg used many different finishes on different items and different carburetors.

The color of the zinc bodies would vary, depending on the zinc alloy (older mixes had more lead content), and how meticulous was the operator in replenishing the active ingredient.

And adding to the comments by Ed: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME!!!!!

The mix for the zinc alloy contains chromic acid. To acquire this stuff REQUIRES an EPA approved waste water treatment facility and permit. Chromic acid is a known carcinogen, and there is evidence it also causes dementia.

Much better to lose a couple of points at the show than lose your mind!

Jon.