Question pertaining to govener

Old Man Jimbo

Well in a bit I would offer to do it for a few dollars, but that is a couple months down the road, after I play with my tune for a while. 

In the mean time I would suggest Ryan at sinister performance.  (Gmtuners.com). He has been doing it for a long while. 

You can also have him adjust the fan turn on points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Seems like I remember someone saying the governor is set at 115 mph. Wouldn't a 3400 lb car with 165 hp hit the governor about the same time it ran out of enough horsepower to go faster?

Probably getting close. I suspect the fuel cutoff may vary some by year, but I don't remember if there is both a mph and rpm cutoff. In many cases there is a speed limiter based on the standard tire speed ratings, which in a Reatta would be "H" or 130 mph, probably with some safety factor, 115-125mp sounds about right.

As an unscientific experiment in the realm of useless information, I modulated the throttle where the indicated manifold vacuum was 5"Hg. The car accelerates moderately well at first and slowly dies off. After a run of almost 3 miles on a straight road I was just approaching 100mph but never reached it. Rpm was about 2800.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 2seater said:

As an unscientific experiment in the realm of useless information, I modulated the throttle where the indicated manifold vacuum was 5"Hg. The car accelerates moderately well at first and slowly dies off. After a run of almost 3 miles on a straight road I was just approaching 100mph but never reached it. Rpm was about 2800.

A little over my head. What does that mean in terms that I can understand? :)

Factory top speed limiter (programmed into the ECM calibrator chip) for all Reattae is 125 MPH. ECM cuts the 1fuel injection at 125 to force a reduction in speed. Kind of a moot point as the stock 3800 runs outta juice right about that point anyway. And the tire speed rating is something to keep in mind, just asking for a tire to shred at those speeds unless running V or Z rated tires.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

A little over my head. What does that mean in terms that I can understand? :)

It is sorta useless info except to say that while still registering vacuum that mean the throttle was not close to wide open, where it will register as zero. Because I have a vacuum/boost gauge, I just notice little things like that. Generally see 10"-12" vacuum on the gauge at normal highway cruise in the 70ish mph range. By and Iarge I see no real difference if I have a turbocharger on it or not. It just gives a sense of how hard it is working to flow down the road. I think reading the MAF gives a sense of how hard it is working as well.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks. Now I get it. You were just selecting the 5"Hg as a reference point to observe the load on the engine I assume.

Exactly right. Remember the old Mile-O-Meter which was just a color coded vacuum gauge. They are pretty sensitive to throttle movement so they do make you aware of how hard you are working the throttle. Not as sensitive as a modern MAP sensor used on many speed-density type systems. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, Old Man Jimbo said:

You are absolutely right John although it makes a good discussion .I suppose I brought it up because it's natural for me to object when something is restricting me that I did not request. I'm a rebellious old fart.

Thus the handle " Old Man Jimbo ;)  "

Hey you got a point, anything new done was done outta curiousity or rebellion! And anything really is possible if you put your mind and money towards it ;)

• Like 1

H rated tires were the reason for the 125 mph fuel cut off. Is just one byte in the PROM. 2800 approaching 100 sounds like top gear, is faster a gear lower.

Am surprised how well it cruises at higher speeds since its life was spent under the double nickel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...